So what would you do ? ( Lots of pics )

miko

Visit site
Hi Nick,

Many people on this forum probably have no idea about the sort of conditions that surfers comfortably go out in, and many just don't like the idea of being in the sea whatever the conditions. This is the diference between a waterman and a sailor. So I say well done, you knew your abilities and made the decision to go.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Jill and I used to compete in surf competitions on this beach (and many others all around the country), often in similar conditions to these. It's just a matter of expectations and experience. UK surfing is rarely about blue skies and perfect waves, and in competition surfing you have to take what you get on the day.

Not trying to detract one little bit from Nick's achievement. Getting aboard was probably tricky and I'm sure he struggled at times. Very well done to have saved the boat, evidently without too much damage and loss.

Answering the question - 20 years ago I would have done the same without even thinking. Now, older, heavier, less fit and maybe wiser(?) I would think about it but almost certainly would finish up swimming out there.

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Miko,
Your comment about the two types of people who sail, sailors and water people, is very interesting. Some time ago, I became involved in a discussion on a yahoo group to which I belong, on just this matter. Almost to a person, those who reckoned that going in the water was certain death were, other than sailing, not involved in water sports. Those who considered going in the water to be a fair part of sailing, were all current or ex water sports people, mostly wind surfers and surfers. This difference in fundamental perception of water, neither of which is better than the other, clearly delineated the argument. It is interesting that the same is happening here.
Cheers,
Nicki

Visit site
Cue the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in the Royal Albert Hall, and RadWeld - a dedicated 'prommer' for the past 77 years - down in the front with the blootered students bawling out his beloved 'Jerusalem' and waving his little flag-on-a-stick......

The-Muppets---Full-Cast-Poster-C101.jpg

See if you can spot RadWeld, children. He's right beside Kermit and Susy......

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cliffordpope

Visit site
The race that once produced heroes like Drake and Nelson all seem to have emigrated, and left behind a lot of mimsers whose main hobby is reading health and safety manuals.

ribrage

Visit site
Great story, great pics

fair play to you for saving your boat, I'd probably have done the same , but im with some of the others on this one, looks like a great fair weather summer mooring.

Maybe next year it would be wiser to drag it out before the expected storms.

My mooring in poole is only a summer mooring and has to be vacated by the end of October and it looks A LOT more sheltered than that.

Glad you and the boat survived though. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Cheers Ribrage.
You are absolutely correct that it is a summer mooring. Staggeringly the date of those pictures is june 25th 2007. Not really what I was expecting.
Nicki

Ceirwan

Visit site
Congratulations, its good to see there are people still like you who can go out, have an adventure, pull through by the skin of your teeth, and then tell a good story afterwards without a shame faced, "Lessons Learned" and "I'll never do anything like that again" etc.

chiefeng

Visit site
Good on you Nick
Personally the guy who phoned the CG should have done some checking before purtting their lives at risk. I would of thought a pair of binoculars would have revealled a wet suit and maybe figures on the beach.
As for the waves didn't look that off putting to me. The bone yard off of california or Hawii's north shore can give you some serious fun.
Can't see what all the fuss is about. IMO is it IMHO !
Bob

fireball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally the guy who phoned the CG should have done some checking before purtting their lives at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'd be a case of "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" ...

JKay

Visit site
Good on yer

I would have done the same when I was younger and fitter

I'm sick of the nanny state that makes us 3rd world

Well done "Big Balls" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greetings Joe

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
To a lesser degree, I've bin there, done that. On an exposed drying mooring with a N/Wly gale over the ebb tide I went aboard on a dinghy & all but got swamped. I had slightly higher freeboard & smaller waves - but very steep. I preferred to be with her to make sure nothing chafed thro' or broke.

Another occaision I couldn't be there, & she went ashore - fortunately on to sand not rock so, being a strong old girl she was refloated on a later tide with a little help from some friends.

You makes your choices & takes your chances. And you live or die by the consequence. I have no problem with that. It can concentrate the mind wonderfully when you recognise the consequence of failure.

Nick made his own judgement & dealt with all that was thrown at him. He did not ask for rescue & did not need it, but the RNLI cannot take chances when so many who go to sea are less capable of assessing their own abilities & the risks they are taking.

Well done for saving her Nick, I know what you mean about surfers - you're almost as mad as windurfers! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I would suggest that in the UK that doesnt qualify as a summer mooring, more a overnite mooring....... Your totally exposed there to anything from the north with a 20 mile reach!

I think the real lesson here is, dont leave the boat on this mooring for extended periods.... I have no doubt about your odvious abilities to go out in surf mode, but really, this could have happened at nite, would you still have gone out? Would you have lost the boat?

It was only through luck that this happened in daylight, and you had helping hands around to save the boat. In reality I would suggest, given the weather that we do have here, that the loss of your boat is almost inevitable if you leave it on that mooring.....might I suggest a trailer-sailor?

Good to see someone taking some responsibility and working hard to save something they love!

A job well done.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Superflid

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This country has a wonderful tradition of producing slightly mad people - surfers, climbers, people who jump off cliffs suspended under a terylene hankerchief. I can only take my hat off to our risk-takers. You wouldn't catch me doing it, but Nicki exemplifies something about our island race that we should be proud of. Long may such things flourish.

Whilst the little people worry about hanging baskets falling onto peoples heads, or children blinded by conkers, or falling off swings, and all the myriad nonsense of hyper risk aversity that is emasculating our nation, let's remember those Britons that conquered the world's heights, traversed the icy wastes, took to sea and air in the flimsiest of craft and set examples that have stood us in good stead and free of invasion for close to a thousand years.

Courage. Tenacity. And a little bit of madness. Floreat Britannia!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better!

Well done Nicki, life is for living.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

oldharry

Visit site
Faced with that scenario, I would be off home digging out my insurance papers. But then at my age I'm not so good at risk taking as I was (talking as someone who paddled round Portland Bill in a home made wood and canvas canoe in his 'yoof' - amongst other incredibly stoopid exploits).

Lets face it, whatever Nanny State says, life - real living that is - is about taking risks. In reality Nick was probably less at risk doing what he did, than driving home in his car afterwards!

'...should have contacted the CG' or the RNLI - why? There was only one answer they could possibly give him and he knew it!

Nothing mad about what he did - he saw a problem, knew he had the skills to deal with it, had people standing by to lend a hand if things went bad, and got on with it.

As to putting others lives at risk - he was not in trouble, and did not ask or need to be rescued, and an AWLB is operating well within safety parameters in those apparent conditions.

The only thing I suggest to Nick, is to think about a stronger mooring if your boat means that much to you! Lying to a single anchor in an exposed position is rather asking for it.

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Mark,
yes she is a swansea boat. I had to buy her as soon as I heard about the legendary John. She called to me. She is quick and joyous to sail. She is imbued with the spirit of someone of whom a huge amount of respect and sadness at his passing was expressed to me when I bought her. She feels lucky to me; had I bought her from some uncaring owner, someone who just owned her, I am certain I would not have bothered going out to her. There is not one thing on her which is superfluous. Call me cranky, but she talks to me. She is valiant.
Stoked you recognised her.
Cheers,
Nicki