So, What have I missed?

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
Greetings All,

Hopefully start an interesting an interesting thread for my YBW.com debut.
Quick Summary. About Us... My wife and I are thinking (ok.. planning) on a return to sailing after a 17 year hiatus. We're cruising Yachtworld etc for a likely candidate of boat (last was a Rival 36, but we're going more modern this time), and we're old dogs in what we want/can achieve and manage. Both pretty experiences sailors having crusied and raced since childhood, lots of coastal and ocean sailing in the bank We're both in our 40's *cough* (..just).

So the question is, what's really changed? When we 'left' the motorboat crowd were wailing still about red diesel, everyone had done their DSC ticket and CopperCoat was all the rage. I'm assuming in mast main furling is still a contentions subject based on the most recent YM. So what's the must haves? Are MOB systems now a must have? Do we all need 5/4G antenna to keep the children from murdering us? Do you all TikTik on the Foredeck? Has anything revolutionised your sailing/boat ownership experience? Are Marina "groups" still making the pips squeek? (quick look at their rate card confirms this..)

Looking forward to your replies.

Rich

Oh.. as an afterthought, has anyone managed to solve the issue of vanishing pencil sharpeners and the chart table, or has the rise of the ipad negated this?

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
So the question is, what's really changed? When we 'left' the motorboat crowd were wailing still about red diesel, everyone had done their DSC ticket and CopperCoat was all the rage. I'm assuming in mast main furling is still a contentions subject based on the most recent YM. So what's the must haves? Are MOB systems now a must have? Do we all need 5/4G antenna to keep the children from murdering us? Do you all TikTik on the Foredeck? Has anything revolutionised your sailing/boat ownership experience? Are Marina "groups" still making the pips squeek? (quick look at their rate card confirms this..)

Looking forward to your replies.

Rich
AIS would probably not have been a common thing on yachts back then. Seems to be almost assumed you will at least have AIS receive capability and increasingly transmit (although I am sure there will be many a Rival our there that has neither!).

If you mean the sort of MOB sensor you wear on your arm and it wakes the crew up if you've gone for a swim? then perhaps they are used by racing crews or those doing challenging night passages etc but I've never noticed anyone using them routinely. In contrast I think 17 yrs ago lifejackets would probably have been a strong hint that it was a sailing school boat, but now are much more normal (bit not ubiquitous).

What age are the kids? My teenagers are actually usually quite happy to avoid the 4/5G and "disconnect" for a day or weekend. They may not be normal. Actually we probably "need" it more than them as we've become obsessed with things like Windy.com for the weather rather than a vague inshore waters forecast.

When you left solar would probably have been a small panel to keep a battery charged on a mooring when you were away. Now people seem to cover everything with it.

The current trend seems to be electric outboards for the tender.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Cost have increased in marinas, sterns have become wider, twin wheels and twin rudders are far more normal, freeboard is taller, form stability is greater, boats are faster for the same LOA, anchors have got more reliable, navigation is simpler, easier, less cost than charts and Decca ever was, chart tables are smaller and don't even exist on some boats, weather forecasts are very accessible, sail cloth is better, osmosis is no longer a thing, Calor gas bottles have been superseded by better bottles and services, battery technology and charging technology is superior, LEDs cabin and navigation lights are near universal now, 2 strokes have been replaced by 4 strokes when new, asymmetric have replaced spinnakers and likely causing chutes, no one talks about Fray Bentos pies anymore, everyone agrees and there are no more opinions anymore.

Sandy

Visit site
Yellow sea boots are no longer used, apart from the RNLI, but the quality of some well known manufacturer has gone down the pan to join the rest of the sewage in the sea. 'Dragons be here' have been replaced by orcas who eat rudders as a snack, they sink boats if they are hungry.

Last edited:

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
Yellow sea boots are no longer used, apart from the RNLI, but the quality of some well know manufacturer has gone down the pan to join the rest of the sewage in the sea. Dragons be here have been replaced by orcas who eat rudders as a snack, they sink boats if they are hungry.
That sounds fun (Orcas.. I assume the Killer Whale pronoun is no longer PC). Interesting re wellies; I dug out my beloved Musto offshore, goretex jobbies the other day and the soles have 'gone off'. Rubber has gone rock hard and perished :(

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
A plethora of AWBs have now become MABs but the arguments remain the same - big heavy man-cave that has the motion of a water-logged tree trunk vs light displacement, wide ar$ed production boats that look like loft apartments with IKEA interiors.

Solar power is now a must.

The number of people swearing they only use paper charts and claiming plotters are the work of the devil are dwindling as they all die off - electronic systems even on basic yachts are getting exponentially more complex. Everyone has a plotter in their pocket thanks to products like Navionics.

Most boats now have transom showers, hot water, fridges, microwaves, big battery banks, huge interiors, and a swim platform - reverse-cycle air conditioning is becoming a thing.

Hallberg-Rassy are building AWB inspired cruisers.

Most Bavarias still have their keels and the prophets of doom are still waiting for the coming of the keel apocalypse. Google "Polbream keel" if you want to see what an AWB can do minus keel. Rudders are now being eaten by orcas as mentioned earlier - a boat has sunk, probably dragged down by its heavy keel.

The "B" word that must not under any circumstances be mentioned is causing various issues with stays in the EU Schengen area, stamped passports, overstays, VAT on boats etc. Aquaint yourself with the "Schengen Shuffle" which non-EU cruisers have been doing for decades if you plan any extended stays in Europe.

My advice - be honest with yourself as to what is drawing you back to boating - nostalgia may cause you to buy something rather unsuitable if, in reality, you want to pootle round the Med in a floating holiday home. In fact, do what I did, go and view a boat you remember from the "good old days", one you feel real nostalgia for - you will, like me, be sadly disappointed - but you need to get this out of your system.

The world has moved on and there are many, many modern capable boats. Most older boats are now a ball and chain waiting for a dreamer with a bank account that needs emptying.

PeterV

Visit site
He main development is that it’s considered very unsporting to sail in a boat less than 36’ now. If there’s more than two of you then the minimum size suitable would be about 42’, but better still you should buy one of the new 53‘ yachts that several manufacturers have just bought out, very suitable for families!

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
He main development is that it’s considered very unsporting to sail in a boat less than 36’ now. If there’s more than two of you then the minimum size suitable would be about 42’, but better still you should buy one of the new 53‘ yachts that several manufacturers have just bought out, very suitable for families!
I assume there is some kind of grant available?

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
AIS would probably not have been a common thing on yachts back then. Seems to be almost assumed you will at least have AIS receive capability and increasingly transmit (although I am sure there will be many a Rival our there that has neither!).

If you mean the sort of MOB sensor you wear on your arm and it wakes the crew up if you've gone for a swim? then perhaps they are used by racing crews or those doing challenging night passages etc but I've never noticed anyone using them routinely. In contrast I think 17 yrs ago lifejackets would probably have been a strong hint that it was a sailing school boat, but now are much more normal (bit not ubiquitous).

What age are the kids? My teenagers are actually usually quite happy to avoid the 4/5G and "disconnect" for a day or weekend. They may not be normal. Actually we probably "need" it more than them as we've become obsessed with things like Windy.com for the weather rather than a vague inshore waters forecast.

When you left solar would probably have been a small panel to keep a battery charged on a mooring when you were away. Now people seem to cover everything with it.

The current trend seems to be electric outboards for the tender.
AIS was on posh boats I remember. I feel I may need to invest in a MOB sensor due to stupid dog, but we'll see if he takes to the boat.
Sprog is still little, 5, but I'm also planning on spending some time "working from boat", so I'll be on the look out for a decent set up I guess.
Electric Outboards.. are they still 9'6" long??? Not sure I fancy driving a tender like a one armed Chopper...

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
A plethora of AWBs have now become MABs but the arguments remain the same - big heavy man-cave that has the motion of a water-logged tree trunk vs light displacement, wide ar$ed production boats that look like loft apartments with IKEA interiors.

Solar power is now a must.

The number of people swearing they only use paper charts and claiming plotters are the work of the devil are dwindling as they all die off - electronic systems even on basic yachts are getting exponentially more complex. Everyone has a plotter in their pocket thanks to products like Navionics.

Most boats now have transom showers, hot water, fridges, microwaves, big battery banks, huge interiors, and a swim platform - reverse-cycle air conditioning is becoming a thing.

Hallberg-Rassy are building AWB inspired cruisers.

Most Bavarias still have their keels and the prophets of doom are still waiting for the coming of the keel apocalypse. Google "Polbream keel" if you want to see what an AWB can do minus keel. Rudders are now being eaten by orcas as mentioned earlier - a boat has sunk, probably dragged down by its heavy keel.

The "B" word that must not under any circumstances be mentioned is causing various issues with stays in the EU Schengen area, stamped passports, overstays, VAT on boats etc. Aquaint yourself with the "Schengen Shuffle" which non-EU cruisers have been doing for decades if you plan any extended stays in Europe.

My advice - be honest with yourself as to what is drawing you back to boating - nostalgia may cause you to buy something rather unsuitable if, in reality, you want to pootle round the Med in a floating holiday home. In fact, do what I did, go and view a boat you remember from the "good old days", one you feel real nostalgia for - you will, like me, be sadly disappointed - but you need to get this out of your system.

The world has moved on and there are many, many modern capable boats. Most older boats are now a ball and chain waiting for a dreamer with a bank account that needs emptying.
We really fancy an AWB this time as we're going to restrict/restrain ourself to pottering about the west country and occasional cross channels for holidays. Budget will not allow straying into HR territory sadly as we'd like some pace in light airs as opposed to lumping about in the Woolston Wonder. Sad to see that Etap have gone pop. I quite liked their MO, even if their boats could be seen as a bit odd..
Transom showers do actually seem useful for us (stupid dog rather than the brochure pics of M. et Mme Perfect rinsing off after a dip)
I am delighted that all those Bav's haven't delaminated into keel shedding oblivion, I assume that territory is still inhabited by the flimsy racers?

Current brands warranting attention are Beneteau, Jeanneau and Hanse, but nothing bigger than 40' (cos of the bills, innit)..

ylop

Visit site
Electric Outboards.. are they still 9'6" long??? Not sure I fancy driving a tender like a one armed Chopper...
No. They’ve gone integrated lithium battery and cost more than you probably expect! (Hair dryers on a boat hook with crock clips for a battery are still available but not if you want marina cred!)