So, What have I missed?

Concerto

Visit site
BornAgainIdiot if you were ordering a new boat, then expect delivery in 2 years time along with annual contract price increases. If not then you are looking at a very popular section of the secondhand market with only a limited supply. Beware many agents are listing boats that have already been sold to get your name on their books. Good secondhand boats are sometimes being sold unseen within hours of listing. So choosing what suits you may be very difficult to find. If you are thinking for this season, then be prepare to move fast, otherwise wait till the autumn when the market slows slightly. The market is also restricted to those boats only within the UK and all cross channel purchases are fraught with difficulties to meet regulations and paying VAT again.

Tranona

Visit site
You say that, but what about Solar power?

Seriously though, has everyone forgotten about wind generators? I remember spending a mighty lump of cash on one in the past...
Yes, wind out of favour except for windy places. Drawbacks noise, poor output, ugly. Solar cheaper, better bang for the buck even in UK. Add to that recognition that expanding storage capacity (big banks of AGMs and increasingly lithium) and better charging allow much better management of power supply.

Tranona

Visit site
We really fancy an AWB this time as we're going to restrict/restrain ourself to pottering about the west country and occasional cross channels for holidays. Budget will not allow straying into HR territory sadly as we'd like some pace in light airs as opposed to lumping about in the Woolston Wonder. Sad to see that Etap have gone pop. I quite liked their MO, even if their boats could be seen as a bit odd..
Transom showers do actually seem useful for us (stupid dog rather than the brochure pics of M. et Mme Perfect rinsing off after a dip)
I am delighted that all those Bav's haven't delaminated into keel shedding oblivion, I assume that territory is still inhabited by the flimsy racers?

Current brands warranting attention are Beneteau, Jeanneau and Hanse, but nothing bigger than 40' (cos of the bills, innit)..
Add Bavaria to the list. Not only are they generally better value than the others, but it will widen your options. As Concerto says, long waiting lists for new boats (and prices that make the eyes water!) and consequently short supply of late model boats. I bought a new Bavaria 33 in 2015, fully specced for £100k and sold it in early 2021 for not a lot less than that within 3 days of listing. New that boat would now be £170k. A similar style 37 would meet your requirements but typically 30% more both new or used. A friend has a 2007 Hanse 370 for sale, as good as you will get and is likely to sell for over £100k, again not much less than he paid for it new.

That really answers you initial question about the major changes in recent years. The two best periods for buying and selling boats were 1998-2007 and 2014-2019. Both periods of relative economic stability and strong new boat activity in terms of new models and volume which in turn provided a good supply of used boats. Now limited range particularly under 40' and high prices.

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
BornAgainIdiot if you were ordering a new boat, then expect delivery in 2 years time along with annual contract price increases. If not then you are looking at a very popular section of the secondhand market with only a limited supply. Beware many agents are listing boats that have already been sold to get your name on their books. Good secondhand boats are sometimes being sold unseen within hours of listing. So choosing what suits you may be very difficult to find. If you are thinking for this season, then be prepare to move fast, otherwise wait till the autumn when the market slows slightly. The market is also restricted to those boats only within the UK and all cross channel purchases are fraught with difficulties to meet regulations and paying VAT again.
So I see. I won't be ordering a new boat, or at least not this time. I seem to remember that it's been over a year for the French Builders for some time, and HR start at 2yrs...

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
Don't ignore multihulls - or tris if you still want to race, They aren't for everyone, but while we're a fair bit older than you, we haven't regretted the change.
We did try (tri??) back in the day with a Dragonfly for a day sail on the M3.. sorry, Solent, and then a Lagoon on charter in the Ionian. Loved the space of the cat, and the speed of the Tri but we miss the leaning over :). (and the Chief Mate disliked the motion in a seaway of both intensely). Also, 1.5x marina fees give me the willies...

geem

Visit site
We did try (tri??) back in the day with a Dragonfly for a day sail on the M3.. sorry, Solent, and then a Lagoon on charter in the Ionian. Loved the space of the cat, and the speed of the Tri but we miss the leaning over :). (and the Chief Mate disliked the motion in a seaway of both intensely). Also, 1.5x marina fees give me the willies...
Our two previous boats were catamarans. My wife is prone to sea sickness. Since moving to a heavy monohull 11 years ago her sea sickness is vastly improved. Contrary to what you would expect

Stemar

Visit site
Also, 1.5x marina fees give me the willies...
Me too, which ought to be why I don't do marinas, but I didn't do them in my Snapdragon either, so maybe it's just because I'm a tightwad.

Some of the easy destination marinas for me don't charge extra, but they do want to know in advance, so they can reserve a suitable place for us.

BornAgainIdiot

Visit site
Little update:
**WAIL** Some **** has come along and bought the bloody boat I was looking at on the internet.

Don't they know the rules?

They're supposed to wait until I have talked the wife around, done extensive man-maths, faffed, looked at every option fitted in minute detail, worked out how long it will take me to drive to go see it, faffed about some more, checked the savings account 30 or so times, thought about calling the broker, chickened out, checked the published polars, got theoretical quotes for new sails, new standing rigging, new anchor, read every published review of the boat type, scoured youtube for videos of them actually sailing and a thousand other things...

Is there someone I can complain to to put a stop to this behaviour? I'm outraged and upset.

All I can say is, it had better not been one of you lot...

Bouba

Visit site
Little update:
**WAIL** Some **** has come along and bought the bloody boat I was looking at on the internet.

They're supposed to wait until I have talked the wife around, done extensive man-maths, faffed, looked at every option fitted in minute detail, worked out how long it will take me to drive to go see it, faffed about some more, checked the savings account 30 or so times, thought about calling the broker, chickened out, checked the published polars, got theoretical quotes for new sails, new standing rigging, new anchor, read every published review of the boat type, scoured youtube for videos of them actually sailing and a thousand other things...

Is there someone I can complain to to put a stop to this behaviour? I'm outraged and upset.

Are you related to Wansworth 🤔🤷‍♂️

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

Little update:

QED!

Tranona

Visit site
Little update:

Fortune favours the brave!