snapshackle pin/spring

mick

Visit site
I have lost the pin and spring from my main halyard snapshackle. Is there anywhere I can get replacements or do I have to replace the whole shackle?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Normal use is for the main halyard to have a conventional shackle (moused). This is because if sail and halyard go their own way, it is a trip up the mast to resolve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Not sure about mousing the halyard shackle - rather stops you taking the halyard off to stop it slatting on the mast.

I have used Wichard shackles with a captive pin (the sort which needs a half turn to undo and with a capture pin for the halyard) with great success and no failures to date.

Agree to no snap shackle - not sure about the mousing bit!

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
I agree with you John. I lead the halyard away from the mast when I am moored and would not mouse the mainsail halyard. I also use a Wichard shackle but I did not know that was the correct name. Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>" there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

jerryat

Visit site
Hi John,

Yep! Entirely agree. Don't like moused shackles on halyards, though have used them on a roller genoa. Like you, I use the captive pin sort with halyard retaining pin. 32 years like this and no problems.

Good sailing!

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
figured I would get some replies along the lines of the captive pin, and do agree for short distance cruising where the convenience of the captive pin system is great (I used to use that system myself) I would suggest that the security for longer term useage would be better if the pin was moused or if you are using an allen key style shackle, to use commercial loctite (my method).

<hr width=100% size=1>

DanTribe

Visit site
To get back to your question. If the pin has come out of a normal snapshackle it sounds as if it is snookered. I would think replacement is your only option. I can't imagine any chandlers keeping spares, even if they are made.

Dan

<hr width=100% size=1>

yoda

Visit site
I have asked the same question myself and nobody seems to sell the bits, perhaps there is an opening there. Being a bit tight myself I have made a pin in the past and found a spring to suit however the problem is what to make the pin from unless you have access to stainless rod. I used a steel bar dut to the right length and 'turned down the thinner part by putting it in to an electric drill and useing a file to bring it to the correct size before dtilling the hole to take the split ring. Mild steel will of course rust so it's not ideal. If the shackle is oversize then you may get away with a brass pin but it will be much weaker than steel.

It always seems a waste to throw away a good shackle for the want of a small part and I have 2 more waiting for new pins to be made. I may try and find a stainless bolt and 'turn' that down in the same way - but only after getting on top of the other problems .................

Yoda

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Interesting idea - loctite and allen key shackles.

Well from this poster I can only say that I've crossed oceans without worrying about the mainsail shackle coming undone. Wichard captive pin captive halyard shackles are fairly robust - and you can't drop the pin or lose the shackle once they're spliced onto the halyard. (Plenty of other things to worry about in mid ocean after all - including the u-bolt that attached the spinnaker shackle to the masthead shearing in mid atlantic wrapping the kite under the boat and round the rudder)

Actually if I was really worried I tie the halyard onto the sail. If you want to really see off the next person to use the boat use a fishermens bend...

<hr width=100% size=1>