Smokey Diesel

marjepalma

Visit site
My BMC 1.5 is begining to fill the engine compt with a blue fugg. The fume seems to be coming from the side breather pipe. Should I try and point this to the air intake or even try and vent it overboard? Would a heavier oil help?

<hr width=100% size=1>

GrahamC

Visit site
You need to find out why you have a blue fug, this could be due to worn bores or even a bust piston ring, you have exhaust gas leaking into crankcase, heavier oil is not an answer, you need to check compression on each cylinder.
This may also be worn valve guides. Have a competent diesel engineer check it out.
Regards
GrahamC

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Most modern diesels pipe the crankcase breather into the inlet air, either into the filter or the manifold. There is always a certain amount of emission from the crankcase breather, as the 100% sealing piston ring has yet to be invented. You have done well to have no problem up to now.

I suggest you arrange that the breather fumes are drawn back into the engine. There may well be a device in existence for doing this, other BMC owners may be able to advise. Don't use higher viscosity oil unless high consumption level forces you to it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
Check the breather pipes are all clear, these engines have a habit of choking them
with gunge.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Blue_Blazes

Visit site
Be careful about leading your crankcase breather to your air intake. This is OK with some engines but other manufacturers specifically say not to do this, but to lead the breather out through a skin fitting. Check your manual or speak to a competant engineer who is conversant with your particular type of engine.

Bill.

<hr width=100% size=1>One of these days I'll have a boat that WORKS

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Some years ago we fitted a factory mod(rocker cover& gas scrubber assy 9498) to our sabre 150s, that took the vent gas and passed it through a material somewhat similar to a pan scrubber. the condensed oil is fed back to the sump , via a small pipe which hasa u in it to prevent a direct blow from the sump, & the nearly oil free air is fed to a housing around the turbo charger inlet.

sabrevent1.jpg

hope that is of some help

<hr width=100% size=1>David
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.euroboating.net>http://www.euroboating.net</A>