Small Loud-hailer?

rhinorhino

Visit site
My Icom VHF, has the capacity to drive a loud-hailer to provide fog signals.
Now the logical place to put the speaker is up the mast at the spreaders, but, space is tight.
Does anyone know of a source of compact 30W weather-proof loud-hailer speakers?
The standard Icom unit is a little on the large size and i want to avoid collecting halyards etc.
Thanks

prv

Visit site
My Standard Horizon radio has similar. I don't think there's anything special about the speakers, so if the SH one is smaller than the Icom one you could use that. Twenty quid or so from MES. Mine is snuggled in between the struts that hold the radar, and is quite unobtrusive. I wouldn't have bothered to put it up there otherwise.

Pete

D

Deleted member 36384

Perhaps just hoisting it on a signal halyard when required using an additional line to prevent the speaker rotating would be a simple enough solution? I too have an ICOm with this facility but was wondering how loud the signal would be compared to the compressed air canister type. Does anyone know?

prv

Visit site
was wondering how loud the signal would be compared to the compressed air canister type. Does anyone know?

Mine doesn't sound all that loud when I press the button in the cabin, but of course I'm inside, twenty feet below it, and behind the direction the horn is pointing. Next time I have someone else on board during the day (don't want to disturb the liveaboards in the evening :) ) we'll do a little test standing on the pontoon some way in front. Not really sure how to report the loudness though....

Pete

prv

Visit site
For a fog signal you don't want directionality, so any loud-hailer horn seems inappropriate...

Indeed, I was thinking that too, but it's what the radio came with and I couldn't find any suitable omni-directional speaker.

Even if I was using it as a hailer (which I don't really expect to do), it's most likely that the vessel I'd be talking to would be alongside, not ahead.

I will say that, where I've noticed them, ship's whistles tend to point forwards too.

Pete

Last edited:

Talulah

Visit site
Thread is a bit old but as a follow up the only decent marine Loudhailer I have found is from Mister Fish in the States.
http://www.misterfishmarineelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=44710778&
All of the ones I have found for sale online in the UK have been very disappointing.
Maybe others have found decent ones online.

We have a loud hailer up the mast but it's mounting is not that great.
I'm curious to know how people have mounted there hailer to the underside of the Radar mount.
(Our hailer is connected to the VHF in order to output fog sound dignals although it has been known to spew out Christmas Carols.)