Sirenia Ashore

CliveG

Visit site
Hi

An update.

I went to Ramsholt this morning to find Sirenia sitting up right on the mud bank near Roger's mooring with the water level around her slightly higher that normal
I went over to her and found that the water had drained out of her to below the top of the centerboard case.
She was aground on the mud with about 1 hour of the ebb to go.
There was an awful mess in the main cabin with the water up to the top of the engine compartment.
The top 1' of the mast was bent aft at 90 degrees and there was a 45 degree kink in the mast at the point where the sail slides are put into the track

I called the boat yard and then said that they were on their way.
Once they were on scene we had an engine driven salvage pump going and quickly cleared most of the water out.
The keel was right down and wedged in the mud.
We tried to lift it but it was not having it.
We would have to wait for the tide to lift her a bit.
Looking around for the source of the leak we could find nothing obvious.

The mast had been damaged when the barge that they used to drag her from deep water snagged the back stay.
The chaps said that the spreaders on the mast where under water when they arrived.

Once the tide had lifted her a bit we managed to get the keel up and pull her free from the mud.
We had an alongside tow down the Felixstowe Ferry.
There did not appear to be any increase in the water in the bilge during the trip.
Once at the yard she was recovered ashore with their trailer sling thing.
We has a good look all over her bottom and the only thing we could find was a slight bulge at the rear of the slot the keel drops though and a dent where the keel had hit it.

We has caught the keel on the dinghy slip last weekend when going along side the Quay at Ramsholt to unload.
I can only assume that this is the cause of the leak.

I am Meeting with the surveyor tomorrow morning so I am unsure what we will be allowed to do.

(Roger it is not the chap you said. This one comes from Robinson's Boat Yard at Woodbridge)

I would love to have a working party there on Saturday to clear her out and will ask the surveyor if that is o.k.
If we can get that arranged and I will confirm tomorrow once I have got the o.k.
I can't see that there should be any problem with it.
I am taking the Trailer down tomorrow with the hope of bring her back to Cambridge on Sunday If the insurance Co will allow that.

Thanks to every one for their support so far.
I think that I will be taking up a lot of offers of help over the coming months.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
OK.... i'll coordinate the working group as I am sure Clive has enough on his plate as it is...

I think most of you have my contact details... pm me if you haven't and can help...

Perhaps worth thinking about (should the work be allowed by the insurers) any spare dehumidifiers that we can lend Clive, plus any spare buckets, sponges, sheets, whatever neccessary to move mud...

Also, we'll sort out the exact details later, but perhaps worth organising a source of teas and coffees, and perhaps arranging sarnies or the materials for making them....?

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Thanks for the update Clive.

Assuming the insurance company allow you to do anything where do you think you might like to start?

Sounds like the mast is a write-off, so I guess we are planning to do a massive clean up operation? Get all your gear off and assess what can be cleaned up and rescued and what can't?

CliveG

Visit site
Bernie

That sound like a good plan.

I just want to get as much mud and ruined kit off her before bringing her home to start restoration.

Clive

Edited to sort out bad spelling!

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
I guess if anyone is sailing there, they will be bringing a galley with them. They would be the best bet for sarnies and hot water for drinks.

I plan to drive there as I don't have crew.

I can certainly supply sponges (lots of foam offcuts from upholstery) and rags (embroidered garments that didn't quite work out).

I'll call at my boat and bring the boat bucket, mops, brushes, etc.

I'll bring my hosepipe and I have a pressure washer, but it's a bit wimpy, I expect other people have better ones.

FullCircle

Visit site
Still a bit of a mystery then?

We will be around on Saturday, just need a lift from Levington, will organise with Neil.

We can scratch heads when we get there I guess.

All the best

Jim

Phoenix of Hamble

Not sure if anyone is intending to sail there?

We'll be coming via car..... (tides times are all wrong for Saturday by boat)

Will be down at the boat Friday, and then drive over Sat am once we've got a time agreed...

I too will bring hosepipe, and then we can link 'em up of there's not a tap close by... plus buckets etc...

I've got a small gas cooker, and will grab a kettle.... we'll bring tea bags, cups, coffee and milk.... any volunteers to bring a couple of loaves and sarny fillers?

Sixpence

Visit site
Good to hear she's out anyway Clive, the damage can at least be dealt with now

Neil, over to you buddy, at your disposal
Can supply industrial gas heater blower thing, though don't think I've got any gas. Hoofer doofer 240V generator. Vax, pumps, mops, sponges, elbow grease by the bucket load, got them too, and a few other forms of more gentle heating to help dry her out. Only thing I can't manage is tansport, though Matt may be able to help on Sunday.
Over to you to coordinate the logistics, but genny also allows for the use of kettle, and I think also have a very large cool water container, and a jet washer (small, but effective)

Let me know if I can help or contribute at all

CliveG

Visit site
Bernie

Please bring your tape measure and any other things you need to practice the black art of upholstery quoting.

I am sure that Sirenia will be needing a full set!

Laurin

Visit site
We can be there, can call at farmers market on the way and get serious amounts of bacon... and bring the gas BBQ to cook it on. Have a 240V pump if needed. Have large land rover if gear/people need transporting from this end. Let us know if there is anything we have that could be of use.... or if more buckets/scrubbing brushes are needed I could raid poundland tomorrow:)

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Jim - did you mean a lift in a car? I could do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, that would be good. We will be in Levington somewhere. Currently there are 4 of us. It is the Johnno free pish up this weekend, but registration isnt until 5.

Phoenix of Hamble

works perfectly.... Bernie I'll leave that to you and Jim to coordinate....

Suggest we wait for guidance from Clive, then subject to that guidance agree a suitable starting time, say perhaps 09:30 to meet in the Ferry cafe for a breakfast, then get stuck in to Sirenia....

Assuming it all goes ahead:

Morgana to bring Gas stove, kettle, tea, coffee, milk and mugs
ECB to bring loaves
Vreny to bring some Bacon and a gas BBQ
Others, something you feel appropriate (some chocky biscuits, sandwich fillers?)
As many buckets, hoses, brushes, sponges, rags as we can muster....

Should give Clive a good start.....

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Jim

Just wrote you a PM but it didn't work so I guess your inbox is overflowing.

Gist of it was if we are to meet up at The Ferry at 9.30, we should leave Levington soon after 9.00 a.m.

I will probably drive down Friday and stay overnight on my boat so as to be ready bright and early.

Beyond Reason is on J pontoon. Phones sometimes don't work too well at Levington (poor signal) but text messages often work when voice doesn't. My car (white Mondeo estate) normally parked in the vicinity of The Lightship.

It will be quite a squash in the car if there are four of you and all the buckets and hosepipes and stuff, but I expect we will manage.

CPD

Visit site
Clive, I guess it could always have been worse, and great to see the plan coming together. If I could be there I really really would. I can only say I hope it goes well and that by the end of Saturday things may be looking at least a little better. Dont know how to say this without sounding patronising, but you'll know what I mean - brilliant effort everyone, makes me feel proud to be part of "the group". Will keep my fingers crossed for a good day.

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
brilliant effort everyone, makes me feel proud to be part of "the group". Will keep my fingers crossed for a good day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here Clive, made a few phone calls to try and sort out transport but nothing so far. Looks like you've got plenty of hands available for this stage though, so top marks to everyone, good to see all pulling together like this. Maybe I'll be able to help out at a later date but unless I can sort out wheels for the weekend, I'm stuffed. Hope all have a good day, and well done for jumping in like this