single/short handed cruising

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
With the budget you have, then the boats you are looking at make a huge amount of sense, and they are also what you are used to, so also a bonus. You will certainly not be disapointed. Hope you find the boat of your dreams.

I am also looking for a boat to sail single handed or 2-up most of the time.

My must have list is more about easily managing the boat and sail-plan rather than out and out sailing qualities, I have a preference for more modern boats. (My crew also wants all her creature comforts) so my must-have list for the sailing part of the boat is as follows ....

Roller reefing main and genny - so I can reef with minimum fuss or course alteration.
All sheets lead back to primary winches in front of the wheels - so no ropey snake-pit on the cockpit floor/seats.
All furling from cockpit to minimise my requirement to go on deck.
Strong reliable below deck autopilot - good enough to helm in any sea state - so I can hide under the spray-hood in bad weather while the boat just gets on with it.
A powerful engine so I can just plough through the weather to shelter as quickly as possible - regardless of wind direction - this has more to do with getting the crew out of bad weather ASAP than my sailing preferences - (Gentlemen don't sail to windward.)
My additional preference is for electric primary winches - so no winch handles to misplace/lose or get in the way when dumping sheets or swapping sheets on the primary winches.

I recently chartered a Sun Odyssey 409 which had the sheet/winch layout described above to try it out and see if it really made a difference compared to my last boat - on the SO all sheets were lead back to the primary winches through clutch blocks, and the primaries were just forward of the wheels with sheet tail bins behind them - see pic.

1710318012831.png

What a revelation!

It unfortunately didn't have a roller furling main, or electric winches but was a joy to sail and my crew could relax in a rope free cockpit with a chilled white wine while I took care of sailing the boat from behind the wheels - an absolute joy and so easy.

Jules W

www.sailblogs.com
I would be very tempted by a Hunter horizon 31 ( English hunter). Sails very well with twin keels so you can take ghe mud and explore all those buts I can't get to with my deep draught. Also cheaper to berth on a drying mooring.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
With the budget you have, then the boats you are looking at make a huge amount of sense, and they are also what you are used to, so also a bonus. You will certainly not be disapointed. Hope you find the boat of your dreams.

I am also looking for a boat to sail single handed or 2-up most of the time.

My must have list is more about easily managing the boat and sail-plan rather than out and out sailing qualities, I have a preference for more modern boats. (My crew also wants all her creature comforts) so my must-have list for the sailing part of the boat is as follows ....

Roller reefing main and genny - so I can reef with minimum fuss or course alteration.
All sheets lead back to primary winches in front of the wheels - so no ropey snake-pit on the cockpit floor/seats.
All furling from cockpit to minimise my requirement to go on deck.
Strong reliable below deck autopilot - good enough to helm in any sea state - so I can hide under the spray-hood in bad weather while the boat just gets on with it.
A powerful engine so I can just plough through the weather to shelter as quickly as possible - regardless of wind direction - this has more to do with getting the crew out of bad weather ASAP than my sailing preferences - (Gentlemen don't sail to windward.)
My additional preference is for electric primary winches - so no winch handles to misplace/lose or get in the way when dumping sheets or swapping sheets on the primary winches.

I recently chartered a Sun Odyssey 409 which had the sheet/winch layout described above to try it out and see if it really made a difference compared to my last boat - on the SO all sheets were lead back to the primary winches through clutch blocks, and the primaries were just forward of the wheels with sheet tail bins behind them - see pic.

View attachment 173796

What a revelation!

It unfortunately didn't have a roller furling main, or electric winches but was a joy to sail and my crew could relax in a rope free cockpit with a chilled white wine while I took care of sailing the boat from behind the wheels - an absolute joy and so easy.
You want a Boreal 55OC, you won't get a secondhand one though. 😁

RAI

Visit site
When I was in the same situation, I bought a Coronet Elvstrom 38. I fitted a Hoyt boom for self tacking an inner forestay jib and a in-boom furling main. The Elvstrom 38 is the only motor sailer that can be sailed from within the wheelhouse. In Northern waters the wheelhouse is a boon and the Elvstrom's Hull is fast for a motor sailor. I sailed it around the Baltic and around the UK single handed. She's taken me to the Canaries and Azores and is currently in southern Spain.
She is sadly now for sale. Search apolloduck or scanboat for details.

dunedin

Visit site
I sometimes think it's the ladies who don't sail to windward, and if we're gentlemen, we comply with the lady's wishes
I think you may have succumbed to sexual stereo typing - for example this lady helps pilot a “boat” that regularly flies upwind at 40 knots - Hannah Mills - Emirates Great Britain SailGP Team
99.9% of elderly males on here are wimps compared to many lady sailors

Stemar

Visit site

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If it is anything like the new 45 (or thereabouts) that I saw in Ostend pre covid, it is a rather ugly looking tub. Why anyone would want such a thing is beyond me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what can't be argued is the functionality of the Boreals as "expedition" boats which is what they are designed as.

michael_w

Visit site
What about a Dehler 35 CWS? I bought mine a couple of years ago. Fractional rig with non-overlapping jib, power primary winches, points like a tourist, nice light oak interior, mine has a shoal wing keel. Only real drawback as a cruising boat is the small fuel tank at 55 liters.

Quite a few 36 CWS on the market, an older design, with a single powered winch.

Mike Bryon

Visit site
What about a Dehler 35 CWS? I bought mine a couple of years ago. Fractional rig with non-overlapping jib, power primary winches, points like a tourist, nice light oak interior, mine has a shoal wing keel. Only real drawback as a cruising boat is the small fuel tank at 55 liters.

Quite a few 36 CWS on the market, an older design, with a single powered winch.
Both great boats but don't believe either available anyway near the OP budget of 15-20K.