single/short handed cruising

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
In which case why don't all modern boats have a rotating mast wing sail? They are so much more efficient than sloop rigs, ancient or modern.
Cost. You’d need to make it in carbon, cos theres only one set of stays, no spreaders. You can have diamonds of course but they get in the way of the jib. Many drawbacks when you scale up a rig like that. You can get away with more if you have a nice wide shroud base like us, but even then it’s Expensive, capital E. That’s why ours doesn’t have one.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
How do you do a tack with the genny, when single handed & have to work it round the inner stay? I would have thought such a rig would be the last choice for beating up a river, or between 2 lots of shallow banks, such as one gets in the Thames estuary.
As others have pointed out, on a decent cutter rig you don't sail with a big hard to manage Genoa. My foresail is a Yankee, high cut at the foot so really good forward visibility and probably a bit less than 100% so it is no problem to tack it around the staysail stay unless the wind is very very light. Another advantage of the smaller sail is you can generally sheet it in by hand with just a final tightening by winch and that is certainly the case for the staysail. I often short tack when singlehanded with both sails, yankee first then staysail.

LeonF

Visit site
But that is a heck of a lot of hassle compared to a standard sloop rig, particularly a fractional rigged one with a moderate overlap jib.
Like ketch rigs, I think traditional cutter rigs have been overtaken by modern technology and largely made redundant.
Duck for cover
Most roller reefed jibs adopt a very inefficient shape when reefed ? If I'm being lazy I may not rig the hanked on staysail, and the boat will sail well under just jib and main. Other than hankin on the staysail I can't say it's any more work. I've also changed to a stackpack main system as I often sail single handed and it makes it all much easier.

dunedin

Visit site
Most roller reefed jibs adopt a very inefficient shape when reefed ? If I'm being lazy I may not rig the hanked on staysail, and the boat will sail well under just jib and main. Other than hankin on the staysail I can't say it's any more work. I've also changed to a stackpack main system as I often sail single handed and it makes it all much easier.
You are perhaps using the wrong sail cloth, sail cut and/or sailmaker. Our North tri-radial jib with foam luff sets quite well when reefed.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
You are perhaps using the wrong sail cloth, sail cut and/or sailmaker. Our North tri-radial jib with foam luff sets quite well when reefed.
It’s certainly possible to make a jib that sets when roller reefed. I look at other boats with reefed jibs and see a horrible baggy mess, from time to time. You can’t see the sailmakers logo, but you can bet your boots it won’t be North, Hood, Sanders, Ullman, or any number of good sailmakers, unless the thing is 30 years old🤣 Skimping on sails results in poorer performance, what can we say. Some folks are quite happy just to be out there, some folks can’t afford decent sails. Personally I’d buy a boat I can afford to run properly.

LeonF

Visit site
My jib sets reasonably when slightly reefed, but my staysail is a very powerful sail, and I prefer to lose the jib completely if I need to. My sails are in very good condition. Where I think a sloop rig really scores over cutter is downwind. The stay sail flaps about when goose winged, and it's best to take it down. I've been meaning to make a small pole so I can do a three sail run, as the jib also needs to be poled out to be really effective on a dead run. On the Vic 800 when beating a reef in the main is usually my first option.

LeonF

Visit site
It’s certainly possible to make a jib that sets when roller reefed. I look at other boats with reefed jibs and see a horrible baggy mess, from time to time. You can’t see the sailmakers logo, but you can bet your boots it won’t be North, Hood, Sanders, Ullman, or any number of good sailmakers, unless the thing is 30 years old🤣 Skimping on sails results in poorer performance, what can we say. Some folks are quite happy just to be out there, some folks can’t afford decent sails. Personally I’d buy a boat I can afford to run properly.
I agree, though I'm not familiar with the efficiency of foam luffed jibs ? The cutter rig and its immense flexibility works for me.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I got a foam luffed Genoa from Arun Sails - it must have been one of the last sails the old owner (Ivan?) made. It certainly had a good shape with a few rolls in, but TBH, in a Snapdragon, going to windward is what the donk is for, especially if the wind gets up a bit.
Did Ivan dirty his hands that much 😁 I remember him well on one occasion when someone had made an error in a sail I had ordered his retort was I shall find out who is responsible, take him round the back and have him shot. he posted a new sail to me a week later. A charming man and a pleasure to hand over your beer tokens to.

srm

Visit site
My last boat came with a set of "far east" sails by Lee. The yankee headsail was mitre cut so the middle seam had no stretch, but the light sailcloth did. After a couple of years it was so badly shaped that it was only effective with the wind aft of the beam. Jeckells made me a very nice cross cut sail from suitable cloth for offshore use with foam strips in the luff. As requested it keeps a good shape when rolled, even to a deep reef.
The previous boat, a Prout catamaran came with a similar sail, I think from Olson sailmakers, that set well even when well rolled.
I suspect that the high clew/yankee shape helps keep the sail efficient when well reefed as the cloth is evenly distributed along the roller.

LeonF

Visit site
My last boat came with a set of "far east" sails by Lee. The yankee headsail was mitre cut so the middle seam had no stretch, but the light sailcloth did. After a couple of years it was so badly shaped that it was only effective with the wind aft of the beam. Jeckells made me a very nice cross cut sail from suitable cloth for offshore use with foam strips in the luff. As requested it keeps a good shape when rolled, even to a deep reef.
The previous boat, a Prout catamaran came with a similar sail, I think from Olson sailmakers, that set well even when well rolled.
I suspect that the high clew/yankee shape helps keep the sail efficient when well reefed as the cloth is evenly distributed along the roller.
I believe my jib might be a yankee.. it furls reasonably well, just prefer to get rid of it and use the staysail. I had new sails from Hyde and they made an excellent job, in cream. I've just had the UV strip replaced and some stitching sorted on the two foresails. Sent them back to Hyde who farmed it out to GP Sails, who have done an excellent job.

srm

Visit site
We talk about "cutter rigs" as if they are all the same but there can be significant differences in the relative proportions of stays and sails and how they are best used. On both of my boats the headsails were the most powerful with the staysails filling the gap below the foot of the headsail. With the Prout and its diminutive main sail I often sailed singlehanded in and out of the marina entrance channel with just the headsail. However, looking at pictures of working boats such as the Brixham trawlers they often carried large overlapping staysails that look as if they were the significant driving force with the headsail balancing the rest of the rig.

srm

Visit site
Size is a relative concept. My old Trintella 29 was regarded as "big" by some when I first got her. Then I got a 42 ft classic cruiser/racer with long overhangs and narrow beam. She was a delight to sail single handed, though with around 10 ton displacement it was necessary to think ahead a bit as everything took that bit longer. If tacking was anticipated I would use the working jib (hank on sails) rather than the light genoa.

Stemar

Visit site
go and pay the man your money and be happy .. no better option

Nicholson 31 1979 Used Boat for Sale in Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
You could certainly do a hellava lot worse. OK, the styling, especially below, isn't exactly the latest thing, but you won't find a more bomb-proof boat SHe'll just keep plugging on long after you you've stopped wishing you'd taken up golf instead and you're now wishing the damned thing would sink and put you out of your misery

MisterBaxter

Visit site
However, looking at pictures of working boats such as the Brixham trawlers they often carried large overlapping staysails that look as if they were the significant driving force with the headsail balancing the rest of the rig.
The Essex smacks carried an overlapping staysail cut low on the foot which was known as the tow staysail, because it gave the drive needed to tow the trawling gear. A non-overlapping working staysail with a higher clew was also carried.

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
The Essex smacks carried an overlapping staysail cut low on the foot which was known as the tow staysail, because it gave the drive needed to tow the trawling gear. A non-overlapping working staysail with a higher clew was also carried.
Possible that the crews and sailmakers of working boats knew the advantages of headsails overlapping the mast before the genoa was adopted by yachts.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Possible that the crews and sailmakers of working boats knew the advantages of headsails overlapping the mast before the genoa was adopted by yachts.
They certainly knew how to hang every possible inch of sail area on any given set of spars.

Reactions: srm