Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

TeamSpirit

Visit site
Whatever your final choice it is how you equip and set out your vessel that makes it suitable for single handed sailing. As kids grew up I ended up doing more and more sailing single handed. I have furling main which makes life very easy - (its a marmite thing) and a range of varying opinions exist around the value and benefits V problems and issues of furling mains. I like them and I have extended the length of the continuous loop so that I can operate it from the helm it works a treat when on my own. All ropes lead aft. Autohelm is used often. A vhf at the wheel ( or repeater handset) is helpful
Picking up cleats or mooring buoys is made easier with Moorfast gadgets or similar, in a marina I always come in stern first well fendered up )and step off the back with midships warps in my hand ready to throw over a cleat. Then sort out the rest. On a 409 + I think this technique could be achievable even from the rail. Additional fenders are a must for single handed sailing.
If locking in or out of some marinas for single handed work I created a set of short ropes out of old bits I had lying around to go over my midship cleat and then put round the ropes or cleats of the lock (whichever they have) you just have to manage either the stern or bow position.
Equipment is a personal thing but would give some thought to a DSC Hand held for piece of mind and similarly a PLB I always clip on when single handed day and night so that I cant fall overboard ( or at least not very far).
And
A good quality vacuum flask is always useful to minimise going below and maintaining your watch.
Its already been said but take time to get to know your vessels behaviour, prop walk, how it behaves in the wind when berthing etc.....
Good luck and enjoy !

ashtead

Visit site
Dune
Pleased all going well with new vessel . if budget permits a cockpit enclosure might be a useful investment for the future so you might want to look at the Tecsew website for ideas.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We had the handover on Friday and have spent a very enjoyable Friday, Saturday and Sunday sailing. Managed to rack up just over 90 miles on the log. A huge thanks to Dave (TangaraToo) for being a willing victim and giving up his long weekend to go out on the boat with me. I learnt loads and have lots more to learn still...

IMAG0285.jpg

Visit site
No thanks necessary. I enjoyed it as much as you did. Cracking boat. Great to see your confidence grow over the 90 miles we covered. Very little on the snag list, small change to second reefing point required and the boats sorted. I will admit to being slightly relieved not to have scratched her during the multiple berthings over the weekend. A new experience for me being responsible for someones expensive new yacht. That berth is tight and the pontoon way too short for comfort.

Visit site
I've just re-read the entire thread and having spent the first 3 days with Simon on Dune thought I add my thoughts on boat choice.
First, the 389 is a very sweet boat to sail. Responsive without being too tender and does reward tweaking of the sail controls. Under engine she handles well down to very low speeds although the high freeboard does cause the expected lateral drift when berthing etc. The German main sheet system, which I was initially sceptical about proved to work very well. Set and forget when short tacking and used in conjunction with the traveler easy to adjust. My only real negative about the setup is reef 2. The main is the driver on this boat and whilst reef 1 seems to be at a sensible point, reef two just does not reduce sail anywhere near enough to tame the boat in conditions you would want it to. My guess is the average owner of this boat doesn't want to sail in 25+ knts and choppy seas or at least that's what Jeanneau think. We experienced gusts of 30+ on the Sunday. Berthing her was a little tricky but that's more to do with the berth than the boat. Exposed position, point of max current in the marina, poor angle, tight and a finger that ends about a foot aft of the center cleat. Plus point, she spins on her keel perfectly without using bow thruster.
If Simon was buying again would I suggest a different setup? No. He likes to sail and does get excited about boat speed and was as keen as me about getting that last 0.1 knot out of her. Judging by progress so far he won't have any trouble getting to grips with her. I hardly touched the helm apart from berthing even in challenging conditions on Sunday.
Speed, comfort, performance, ease of handling. If that's what the modern AWB is about than I'm a convert and look forward to spending many more days on board :)

RupertW

Visit site
With a similar dilemma about 2nd reef in a Jeanneau 42 I went for a third reef instead and I'm glad I did as I find I use the existing 2nd reef position a lot in gusty (25-40knot ranges not uncommon where I sail) and downwind sailing. I would have regretted just having 1st and a very deep 2nd.

Visit site
Agree a third reef is needed. I don't know the boat well enough yet to say which two of the three will be used most but certainly a deeper 3rd required. My Guess is reef 2 and 3 will be the main ones used. I think having the first reef at a mid point between one and two and the 2nd just below first batten would have been a better compromise than the standard setup but then the UK east coast is not really the main target market for this boat.

RupertW

Visit site
Agree a third reef is needed. I don't know the boat well enough yet to say which two of the three will be used most but certainly a deeper 3rd required. My Guess is reef 2 and 3 will be the main ones used. I think having the first reef at a mid point between one and two and the 2nd just below first batten would have been a better compromise than the standard setup but then the UK east coast is not really the main target market for this boat.

I'm sure your right but interested in your comment about UK east coast. I've found that more similar to the Med sailing that the boats may be designed for than the Channel (currents, temperature and sea colour apart). Gusty or windless conditions and short nasty chop seem common to both.

As I see modern AWBs in charter fleets sailing in 25+++ conditions often I wonder whether you were reaching or broad reaching when you had to reef? I only say that because of the way many are driven by main upwind, but should lose all or most main once you are on the beam to avoid heeling in gusts and therefore excessive weather helm. So I've found a full main perfect in 25 knots when beating but hopeless even single reefed when trying to reach. I now tend to drop the main if I'm on a long reach or broad reach above 15-20 knots wind and sail this kind of boat flatter and much faster. If I know I'm going to beat again in the next hour then I'll leave it double or triple reefed.

All in all it looks and sounds like a lovely boat to sail. The pictures got me thinking again about a folding prop and wonder what that was like in reverse - they way we and most boats in the Med park

Visit site
The pictures got me thinking again about a folding prop and wonder what that was like in reverse - they way we and most boats in the Med park
Folding prop is not an issue going astern. You wouldn't know it had a folder. On handover day I reversed it down the SYH entry channel and it behaved perfectly. Certainly very different to the first generation folder fitted to the boat I sailed last season. That was a nightmare.

Tranona

Visit site
The last few posts only confirm the compromises of slab reefed mains on boats with comparatively large mains - and perhaps why, accepting the limitations, in mast furling is so popular on this type of boat. This is particularly true for shorthanded sailors drawing their pensions!. The small loss of potential performance is more than offset by ease of handling and infinite variability of mainsail area rather than fixed increments. The latter are never quite right when you only have a choice of 3 (or maybe 4) fixed sail areas.

On my Bavaria 33 which has a similar main/foresail balance of areas, full sail is OK up to 20 knots wind, and then the first reduction is a small amount of main. Full jib could be carried up to 30 knots with main adjusted as wind increases. However a small reduction in both sail areas seemed to work well in 25 knots which is the strongest I have been out in so far.