Shrimpy sails again !!

Gelmaster

Visit site
Hi,
I have just finished reading Shrimp's adventure, and it was inspiring to say the least.
Can anybody by any chance, send me a pdf for Shrimpy sails again?

Thank you

contessaman

Visit site
Hi,
I have just finished reading Shrimp's adventure, and it was inspiring to say the least.
Can anybody by any chance, send me a pdf for Shrimpy sails again?

Thank you

call me sceptical, but I got the impression that (reading between the lines) the young, recently ejected from the military, shane was actually just drifting around the world on an epic hippy trail chasing down and smoking a monumental amount of weed.

I mean, the bit about the friendly prisoners helping him work on the caprice? friendly rapists and murderers? bless them. come on. what did he give them in return for their efforts? I slice of his stash no doubt.

outstanding seamanship, or just sit back, tug on a reefer and hope for the best....?

im not condemning it by the way, I just think that all is not what meets the eye. hats off to the guy. far out man. Increase the peace.

Neil

Visit site
I found it (the first book, didn't know there was a second) an enjoyable read. However, I suspect that had he posted on this forum about taking down the sails closing the hatch and drifting in order to get a good night's sleep would have raised some eyebrows here.... What, no AIS or radar with proximity alarms? The man was a danger to himself and shipping, by gad!

maby

Visit site
Our first boat was a Caprice, very much like Shrimpy. It was getting a bit claustrophobic after eight hours, so I live in awe of someone that could spend eight years in one! The man was completely certifiable, but obviously incredibly resourceful...

chrisedwards

Visit site
call me sceptical, but I got the impression that (reading between the lines) the young, recently ejected from the military, shane was actually just drifting around the world on an epic hippy trail chasing down and smoking a monumental amount of weed.

I mean, the bit about the friendly prisoners helping him work on the caprice? friendly rapists and murderers? bless them. come on. what did he give them in return for their efforts? I slice of his stash no doubt.

outstanding seamanship, or just sit back, tug on a reefer and hope for the best....?

im not condemning it by the way, I just think that all is not what meets the eye. hats off to the guy. far out man. Increase the peace.

Can't let this rest without submitting a counter view: this man was a true great - an inspiration to me. He lived his life fully. Eight years circumnavigating the globe - all those correct decisions. Can any of us do this - really? Let those who can put him down in such a damming fashion. Many who met him - including me, came away awefully impressed with his determination to get the most out of life.

contessaman

Visit site
Can't let this rest without submitting a counter view: this man was a true great - an inspiration to me. He lived his life fully. Eight years circumnavigating the globe - all those correct decisions. Can any of us do this - really? Let those who can put him down in such a damming fashion. Many who met him - including me, came away awefully impressed with his determination to get the most out of life.

Hmmm.. I did say I wasn't condemning him. his was an admirable adventure.
I wouldn't stick the guy on a pedestal though. while he was drifting around bumming this and that off others the rest of the world was working. farming or fighting wars and everything else to keep the world turning. he's only the nautical equivalent of someone who drops out of society and backpacks around the world on the charity of others.

we could all apply a little of shane actons ways to our lives. maybe have a more modest yacht, work less as a result and have more time to sail it. somebody once said to me: 'Don't get caught up in the rat race -even if you win the race, you are still a rat'. Good Point.

shanes cruise wasn't a bad one. I just hope that when he got home he cut his hair, had a shave and got a job.

Gelmaster

Visit site
Always great to hear peoples differing opinions!
I never thought of Shane as a stoner, but he lived a thousand lives in one.
Balls of steal, i think, even though he may just have been a sea tramp.
He set the boundaries for people who can only dream of what "anybody" is capable of achieving.
Billy Connolly would hold a candle for this guy, shame that he left us so early.

By the way, is there a pdf file for his second book anywhere, anybody??

chrisedwards

Visit site
Hmmm.. I did say I wasn't condemning him. his was an admirable adventure.
I wouldn't stick the guy on a pedestal though. while he was drifting around bumming this and that off others the rest of the world was working. farming or fighting wars and everything else to keep the world turning. he's only the nautical equivalent of someone who drops out of society and backpacks around the world on the charity of others.

we could all apply a little of shane actons ways to our lives. maybe have a more modest yacht, work less as a result and have more time to sail it. somebody once said to me: 'Don't get caught up in the rat race -even if you win the race, you are still a rat'. Good Point.

shanes cruise wasn't a bad one. I just hope that when he got home he cut his hair, had a shave and got a job.

Again - just can't let this go without a counterview. Shanes Acton's pedestal -in terms of pure seamanship - is higher than Ellen MacArthur's and Robin Knox Johnson's put together. He often worked for long periods of time during his voyage. He didn't harm nor pollute society and the environment. He had spirit, flair and a zest for adventure which inspired many around the world - a truly great man not bound by convention and a closed mind.

I was twenty one when I read his book. Promptly gummed in the lower washboard of my 18' Amphora and headed for France. Looking back on my life it was one of the best times - thanks Shane.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
"call me sceptical" _ I will

Dear Contessa man,

I will call you sceptical

SA achieved a massive amount in a boat few of us would take to sea in

all before GPs and done wityh a cheapo plastic sextant

he achieved more than most of us on these boards is ever likely to

no idea how you read between the lines and come up with the stoner accusation

he was certainly addicted to nicotine and was very happy when he found the cigarettes floating in the sea. It was tobacco that did for him in the end

how many of us have an alcohol or tobacco free yacht....not me for sure

by reading the book it seems to me that he worked his way around the world

he stayed in places and worked until he had enough money for the next leg

he wrote two books at 100,000 words each

most hacks I know are happy if they write 1,000 decent words in a day

that is 100 days work for no guarantee of a return

I know as a sailor of of a small boat that there are some owners, not many fortunately, of much nicer more expensive and classic yachts such as (fill in your own blanks) who look down on small boat sailors as impecunious losers

so I do call you sceptical and horribly dismissive of one of the UKs great sailing adventurers

all done without sponsorship

He was an inspiration to me and made me realise that I do not need a £20,000 yacht and fifteen RYA qualifications before taking a boat out on the water

Dylan

Last edited:

Ceejay

Visit site
Dylanwinter well said, I'm with you 100%. Shane Acton through his writings allowed me to dream of the possibility of yacht ownership and escape, at a time in my life when it did not seem possible.
There are probably still countless adventurers out there doing similar things quietly, and in their own way, while less interesting people, myself included, pontificate on here.
CJ

sailorman

Visit site
Dear Contessa man,

he was certainly addicted to nicotine and was very happy when he found the cigarettes floating in the sea. It was tobacco that did for him in the end

I know as a sailor of of a small boat that there are some owners, not many fortunately, of much nicer more expensive and classic yachts such as (fill in your own blanks) who look down on small boat sailors as impecunious losers

so I do call you sceptical and horribly dismissive of one of the UKs great sailing adventurers

He was an inspiration to me and made me realise that I do not need a £20,000 yacht and fifteen RYA qualifications before taking a boat out on the water

Dylan

Thank you well put Dylan

carl170

halcyon23.blogspot.co.uk
Dear Contessa man,

Dylan

Dylan,

My sentiments exactly!

A man who was not a drain on any resource and cost no-one anything.

The only thing he did that affected anyone was to inspire them!

I don’t understand how he can be criticized for not wanting to be a cog in the machine.

Regards

Carl

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
He was a source of comfort to me when I took off from the UK intent on getting at least as far as the Caribbean.

Like him my nav skills were not practiced for real and my sailing skills were also meagre.

But I drew consolation many a time from Shrimpy when I was thinking that I might need a bigger boat/more experience/or another whatever.

BTW after completing one circumnavigation on Shrimpy he set off to go round again.

reginaldon

Visit site
Dylan,

My sentiments exactly!

A man who was not a drain on any resource and cost no-one anything.

The only thing he did that affected anyone was to inspire them!

I don’t understand how he can be criticized for not wanting to be a cog in the machine.

Regards

Carl

+ one more - I know of at least two who were inspired to take up sailing after reading his book. I'm sure he grafted more than most to achieve his goal.

contessaman

Visit site

Dylan, Im guessing by some of the points raised in your rant that you only looked at my first post on this thread then?

I heard much talk of the book a long time before I managed to lay my hands on a copy. When I did, frankly, it was a dissapointment. I agree its no small task that he achieved in such a small boat. I agree also that the guy did more sailing in a month than I will doubtless get in a lifetime. But I can not understand the heroism placed upon him? The book is a tale of him traveling the world being helped by everyone, everywhere. Without the good will of those honest hard working people the world over he would have been down and out from the outset.

To say that there are not many people in this world who will ever acheive as much as him is obsurd! if your yardstick for judgment of human worth is the sailing of 18 foot boats then perhaps (though I'll give Earnest Shackleton the gold for that one).

Acton did no harm. He had a the holiday of a lifetime and wrote a book about it. So what. He did it for himself because he couldn't fit in with society. He was a pleasant freeloader thats all. You want heroes- look to the young lads in a foreign land laying down their lives right now for this country.

How can anyone even compare him to Robin Knox Johnston? He did it alone, his own graft. Then he gave the prize money to donald crowhurst's widow.