Should I Antifoul again?

ballena

Visit site
We have had the boat in the water since early September last year, It was antifouled before we bought it and seems to be Ok still. If I touch the area below the waterline with a soft brush, it falls straight off.

We will have the boat lifted out in couple of weeks so that I can check anodes and change the oil in the leg etc...

Should I re antifoul it, or will it be Ok for this season?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paul R

<hr width=100% size=1>V8's rule!

PhilCool

Visit site
Antifoul it and change the anodes when you lift it then it's done for another year .job done

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>Principal of Sun Coast Sea School & Charter

PhilCool

Visit site
For a fast boat like yours a hard racing paint but what make is your choice as they all do the same job.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>Principal of Sun Coast Sea School & Charter

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>If it was anti fouled in September it will not need doing again until the end of this year as she has sat thoughout the non-growing season. Just wash off.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

tcm

Visit site
Re: don\'t antifoul again

i agree with Byron. If you've antifouled in sept in won't need doing now - indeed, this is the busy time so stay in. Get a decent price in september. Also, it's not a done deal that a'foul is an annual job - numerous products offer protection for more than one year. But need to keep an eye on anodes

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
Re: don\'t antifoul again

I'd be careful if it's being hoisted out my a marina. They usually include a power wash as part of the deal.

We had our old boat lifted out mid season a few years ago, about 4 months after it was antifouled and because the paint is pretty soft straight after it comes out (as you mentioned) they managed to spray off most of the bloody paint, right back to the blue base coat. Not very clever. Net result was lots of growth and a slow boat for the rest of the season. You could have the same problem ifyou or they are a little overenthusiastic with your cleaning.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I must also agree with Byron a reduced pressure wash off check anodes scrub off props and trim tabs and back in ready for season. Job done. Preferably done with you in attendance if marina doing job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jben

Visit site
Any suggestions on cleaning the props. The residue on the surface is like limescale and it is prcving very difficult to remove. Also the P bracket is in a bad state. Should I use a metal compatible anti foul paint on thesebrackets.
Regards jben

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Are you sure it is Limescale? It sounds also like electrolysis. Have someone who knows take a look especially as the P bracket is also affected. A quick but rudimentary check on the prop is to give it a tap with a spanner to see if it still rings.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

jben

Visit site
Good point byron. I will get it checked out.
I have no anodes on the prop shafts. I don't know if they are required. The anodes on the bottom and the tabs seem to be working as they are well reduced in size.
regards jben

<hr width=100% size=1>