shore power plug wiring

st599

Visit site
I don't know about trips, but again I will ask.

The cable I purchased is rated 450/750V and is 2.5mm squared.

Thanks for all your advice so far, and I will seek advice from an expert.

M.
You need to look up the current carrying capacity, but that sounds too thin.

andsarkit

Visit site

M.
That cable should be good for about 20A or less depending on ambient temperature and if it is coiled up.
Unless the marina has changed all the trips it should not be supplying loan cables to downsize the connection as Alex has pointed out.
You could either ask them to change the trips or provide your own 16A trip in a small IP66 box next to the supply. That will be rather untidy but better than having to uprate the cables and connectors in your system to 63A. 10mm cable like this is 24mm diameter and not easy to handle.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site

M.
2.5mm is correct for 16amp. However it is not correct for 63 amp. For that you need around 10/16mm. The plugs and sockets are also under rated at 16 amp. Once again I must reiterate. forget all the discussion about single and three phase etc. on here. It is all misleading and cannot resolve anything, no matter how well intentioned. GET LOCAL PROFESSIONAL ADVICE.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
At the risk of boring everyone. As an aside. What the OP should be doing,
We don't know, but. If we assume that he has an onboard consumer unit with a 16amp circuit breaker and associated RCD protection. then he should be uprating everything, cables, plugs and sockets to 63 amp, up to the input of the Circuit breaker. He can then have an adaptor to reduce the shore end connection down to 16 amp.
The above in no way resolves the issue of the present marina outlet and the confusion that presents. Previous advice on that stands intact.

andsarkit

Visit site
It is possible that the marina took local 'professional' advice which has led to the present situation.
The OP has had good advice on here and can now ask relevant questions to clear up any anomalies.

1. What is the rating of the circuit breaker for the outlet?
2. What is the required cable and connector size from the 63A outlet to the boat?
3. What is the correct wiring of the 63A connector?

If you can't get satisfactory answers you can always come back here for more comment.

Daverw

Visit site
My understanding is that the red are 3 phase, 4 pin 3 ph and Earth 5 pin 3ph, N , E, the red will not I understand fit blue 240v 1ph sockets, what colour is on the pontoon? We use 3ph , N,E adapters to supply 1ph 240v mainly welders on site all the time. I would get a short adapter made and then use my normal shore power lead

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
cefco_cxn633p240c67.jpg

Single phase Connexs 63A 2P+E 230V Coupler IP67
63A 2 Pin + Earth 230V Coupler IP67

Does the Marina outlet end look like this? (Obviously not the body).

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
My understanding is that the red are 3 phase, 4 pin 3 ph and Earth 5 pin 3ph, N , E, the red will not I understand fit blue 240v 1ph sockets, what colour is on the pontoon? We use 3ph , N,E adapters to supply 1ph 240v mainly welders on site all the time. I would get a short adapter made and then use my normal shore power lead
Please read the other posts to see why that is not a good idea. It is the sort of suggestion that is in fact dangerous in these forums . His normal lead is not protected if the shore connection has a 63 amp circuit breaker installed.

ylop

Visit site
What about something like COBA Europe CablePro GP1 Medium Duty Cable Cover 3m Black / Yellow . Seems to cover UK H&S ok for cables crossing paths, etc.
I wouldn't accept that for cables crossing a pontoon on a permanent basis when there is an alternative that just needs someone competent to sort the cable out! Cables crossing pontoons are a trip hazard, they are worse at night, pontoons are a bad place to trip because you can end up in the water and nobody may see you go in. The cable cover might make it less of a trip hazard but it doesn't remove it completely (especially since they are likely to be poorly installed rather than firmly fixed to the deck. Cables left crossing pontoons are also subject to extra wear and tear from trolleys etc. The cable cover might offer some protection, but also hides any damage to the cable.

Daverw

Visit site
Just
Please read the other posts to see why that is not a good idea. It is the sort of suggestion that is in fact dangerous in these forums . His normal lead is not protected if the shore connection has a 63 amp circuit breaker installed.
because it’s a 63 amp socket does not mean it has 63amp breaker, it has been suggested to check this whatever is done

fushion julz

Visit site
Just to be clear... Worldwide standards are:

Yellow connectors = 110V single phase....They come in 16A & 32A ...there may be a 63A one too, but never seen it as the cable would be huge!
Blue connectors = 240V single phase...they come in 16A, 32A & 63A
Red connectors = 415V three phase...available in 16A, 32A, 63A and 125A and in either 3P+E or 3P +N+E (also called 4P+E)

All are known as CeeForm or Commando plugs/sockets

All varieties are available in IP44 and IP67 ratings.

Having the plug on a cable does NOT mean the system is designed or rated for the max rating on the plug/socket...only that it is "up to" that...with the correct RCD/breaker AND the correct size cable.

A blue (or yellow) connector can NEVER be 3-phase and a red connector SHOULD never be single phase.

The original picture shows the plug wired incorrectly as the earth is on the wrong terminal.

dankilb

Visit site
Re: the cables crossing pontoons issue - in our marina it’s allowed and commonplace, but cables are required to be secured with little tabs/plates screwed in place to hold the cable down between the decking planks. Similarly, you could even go under the pontoon (with cable ties) perhaps?

Sounds sketchy, I know, but surely less than the risks of an unknown high amperage supply.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Our marina has stopped us using the 15amp outlets which are on the other side of the main pontoon, which has smaller berths, citing safety issues with cables crossing the walkway. Consequently, as we are on a 20m berth, we have to connect to a 63 Amp single phase receptacle, the only type on our side of the pontoon (although we only need the 15Amp type).
I have purchased a 63 Amp plug (IP67), a 15 Amp socket (IP44)and a short length of suitable cable, to make up an adaptor lead.
I am certainly no expert when it comes to electrics so here is my question. The connectors of the 63 Amp plug are marked L1 L2 L3, and on the 15 Amp socket, L, 690v, and Earth. (L being on the LEFT as you look at the rear of the socket). This seems logical as a PLUG would have the L on the right (as in the photo)

View attachment 147324View attachment 147323

Am I right or am I going to black out the marina:cool:

Thank you,

M.
M
see here for the definitive IEC 60309 - Wikipedia
Just tried to phone V on Whatsapp
Stu

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
M
see here for the definitive IEC 60309 - Wikipedia
Just tried to phone V on Whatsapp
Stu

Wikipedia is a poor reference, quote direct from the standard. The wikipedia article even states that it has issues.

Page issues
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
Find sources: "IEC 60309" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR
(April 2011)
(Learn how and when to remove this template message)