Shore Power - Is this safe?

superheat6k

Visit site
This thread reflects why advice on things electrical is becoming less prevalent on here.

Comments referring to other Forum commenters in a disparaging way, ignores entirely the fact that those with valid contribution are all working in their day jobs either in Boat extra low voltage systems (12 / 24 vdc) or industrial low voltage systems (AC 110 - 400) , and in some cases a decent amount of both.

As with all current regulations the specific standards each work do may be different, for instance my main point of reference is EN60204 Safety of Electrical Machines, as opposed to those associated with more general power use, e.g, 17th and now 18th edition (IEE Regs), and again different to the standards VicS refers to for Boat systems.

But what is clear is that casting away the advice of such forumites or criticising them simply means their valued advice will simply no longer be available, for fear of being made to look a fool, and unable to prove their case due to digressions. Simpler not to respond in the first place !

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
But what is clear is that casting away the advice of such forumites or criticising them simply means their valued advice will simply no longer be available, for fear of being made to look a fool, and unable to prove their case due to digressions. Simpler not to respond in the first place !

I agree. There seems to be a bad practice on here of disparaging posters advice with a sentence starting with "Nonsense" or post a short derogatory comment ending with an exclamation mark rather than simply offering a different opinion.

I make it a practice not to use words like "nonsense" or use exclamation marks, other than in a humorous context.

Richard

BabaYaga

Visit site
backs up what you say about the shorepower earth connection to the DC negative

IMHO it is unfortunate that this has become the common way of expressing what the ISO 13297 and 10133 require.
I agree that a connection between the DC negative and the AC protective earth circuit will often or sometimes be a result of adhering to the requirements, but the purpose is clearly not achieve this connection per se.
Instead the purpose is to establish a connection between the AC PE circuit and earth/ground (the water) aboard the craft.
In my view this is made very clear by what the ISO 13297 has to say about how to deal with the AC PE when the craft has a fully insulated DC system (that is: no connection to ground (the water) through the propulsion system or bonding, anodes etc..)
I such cases the AC PE should be connected to the hull (of a metallic hulled craft) or for non-metallic hulls, to the crafts external ground/earth or ground plate.
As I mentioned in a previous post, fully insulated DC systems are not rare and they might become even more common with increased use of flexible couplings and with the practice of bonding and hull anodes falling out of fashion.
In such cases, connecting AC PE to DC negative is not only pointless, it also fails to fulfill the purpose of the requirement in this respect.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Here in Latvia - we still have radial circuits in houses and I have fought hard to have rin main in my rebuilt house and outbuildings. While agreeing all this with the electricians - luckily I had guys who had worked in UK so understood my request for Ring Main .... were talking about ENR.

I believe that ring mains are almost unknown outside the UK, and viewed with deep suspicion elsewhere. I had my house professionally rewired last year and it's all radial - not a hint of a ring anywhere.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The standards which dictate what is correct are ISO 13297:2018 for the low voltage AC installation, ie the shorepower system, and ISO 10133:2017 for the extra low voltage DC system.

A pedant writes: Standards do not, in general, dictate what is correct. They simply allow easy communication between people working on systems. In other words, a new sparky knows what to expect if the DC system is ISO 10133:2017 compliant, but there may be many other safe ways of doing it. For example, nobody seriously suggest that ABYC standards are worse than EU ones, just different.

That said, of course it makes sense to stick to the local standards where possible and sensible to do so.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I understood that on the Continetal mains supply the voltage swings from zero to +110v then swings back through zero to -110v, thus giving 220 across the wires, but only 110v above earth. Unlike UK where the AC negative is at earth potential, so that the live wore carries the full 230v above earth.

That's a two-phase system, as used in the US for 220V supplies to heavy appliances (two standard 110V supplies 180o[\sup] out-of-phase) and from 110V yellow transformers on building sites (because 55V will hurt you but probably not kill you).

Germany, France and, as far as I am aware, everywhere else uses live and neutral, just like us. However, most of their connector systems don't distinguish between them so when you plug something in you can't predict which wire will go up and down and which will stay near earth.

Visit site
The ISO is a standard, no-one working on older boats is required to follow the standards, be pretty daft to ignore too much of it though.

As far as new builds go, they have to adhere to the standard.

doug748

Visit site
This thread reflects why advice on things electrical is becoming less prevalent on here.

Comments referring to other Forum commenters in a disparaging way...............

Quite, electrical questions are becoming as acrid as those about ground tackle. Posting a simple, practical suggestion on many topics also tends to be met by unhelpful carping, often framed in a derogatory terms.
Some characters seem to imagine their odd contributions impress everyone greatly. Still there we are, pantomime season.

Malabarista

Visit site
It’s all very well for you people, both professionals and knowledgeable non professionals, to bandy around ISOs ABYCs and USCGs in an apparently ( but not to me) meaningful discussion. However until ten minutes ago i was completely happy with my recent rewiring efforts putting the shore power earth through a GI and into the consumer unit (MCB and RCBs) and thence to the DC negative busbar. Now I’m just bloody confused ?
But then this whole electrickery malarky is doin’ me ‘ed in anyway

prv

Visit site
Germany, France and, as far as I am aware, everywhere else uses live and neutral, just like us. However, most of their connector systems don't distinguish between them so when you plug something in you can't predict which wire will go up and down and which will stay near earth.

Most of the earthed types of European plugs are in fact polarised, with the exception of the German Schuko that uses the contacts on the side instead of a pin.

The unearthed one-size-fits-all Europlug is of course unpolarised and could be either way round, but appliances using it also have to be double-insulated - if they were in the UK they'd be allowed to use a plastic "earth" pin just to open the shutters (though many are in fact metal anyway and simply not connected). The Europlug is also limited to 2.5 amps because, having flexible pins to accommodate varying socket types, it might not make a firm enough contact to carry higher currents.

Pete

Visit site
It’s all very well for you people, both professionals and knowledgeable non professionals, to bandy around ISOs ABYCs and USCGs in an apparently ( but not to me) meaningful discussion. However until ten minutes ago i was completely happy with my recent rewiring efforts putting the shore power earth through a GI and into the consumer unit (MCB and RCBs) and thence to the DC negative busbar. Now I’m just bloody confused 
But then this whole electrickery malarky is doin’ me ‘ed in anyway

As is becoming all too common on PBO electrical threads, too much thread drift and waffling is confusing a simple question. I answered the OP's question in post #21, let's hope the rest of the thread hasn't caused the OP even more confusion.

Nothing wrong with what you have done here, for your boat, just make sure there is a connection between DC negative and the anode bonding circuit and and your done.

Refueler

Visit site
I believe that ring mains are almost unknown outside the UK, and viewed with deep suspicion elsewhere. I had my house professionally rewired last year and it's all radial - not a hint of a ring anywhere.

I was dead against radial for simple reason .... and any good electrician will back this up ..... radial means that accumulated power requirement into a single cable end, instead of a ring where it divides.