Shore lines

NormanS

Visit site
In another thread about anchoring (Oh! No!, not again!), there has been mention of running lines to the shore. I am not talking about mooring either stern to or bow to the shore, to be able to step ashore, as is practiced in some countries.
I always prefer to be anchored off, and use the dinghy to go ashore. I also always prefer to be head to wind, so when anchored, I never run stern lines to the shore, and then possibly be faced with winds from astern or on the beam. I have on a few occasions taken a line ashore, but made it fast to my anchor chain, and then lowered the chain so that the join will always be lower than the keel. In that situation, the boat can always swing head to wind, and the pull on the anchor is always in roughly the same direction.
This is a form of a Bahamian Moor, which is normally done with two anchors. It is important to leave sufficient slack in the system, otherwise the load on the anchor is unnecessarily increased. I wouldn't recommend doing this in a recognised anchorage, with other boats present, but in unfrequented places, it provides a very secure way to anchor. Dare I mention that it would be appropriate where the seabed has a significant slope out to seaward?

B27

Visit site
I have done it, with a bilge keel boat to dry out.
I can't think of anywhere where I've parked to stay afloat where it would be a good idea.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It is absolutely standard practice in Greece. No tides of course which helps a lot. In relatively small bays that might accommodate five or six boats free anchored there might be 20 or more with anchors towards the centre and lines ashore tied to rocks, preferably not trees. In some ports there are even rings cemented into walls to assist the practice.

Look in any of Rod Heikell's pilots of Greece and other countries, where you will find many, many references to taking a line ashore.

This year we see that many boats carry yellow/orange shore lines specifically sold for this purpose. We carry a 12 mm white line of 40 metres and a black, 14 mm 100 metres long polypropylene. We tie a fender along its own length to reveal its presence.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
In another thread about anchoring (Oh! No!, not again!), there has been mention of running lines to the shore. I am not talking about mooring either stern to or bow to the shore, to be able to step ashore, as is practiced in some countries.
I always prefer to be anchored off, and use the dinghy to go ashore. I also always prefer to be head to wind, so when anchored, I never run stern lines to the shore, and then possibly be faced with winds from astern or on the beam. I have on a few occasions taken a line ashore, but made it fast to my anchor chain, and then lowered the chain so that the join will always be lower than the keel. In that situation, the boat can always swing head to wind, and the pull on the anchor is always in roughly the same direction.
This is a form of a Bahamian Moor, which is normally done with two anchors. It is important to leave sufficient slack in the system, otherwise the load on the anchor is unnecessarily increased. I wouldn't recommend doing this in a recognised anchorage, with other boats present, but in unfrequented places, it provides a very secure way to anchor. Dare I mention that it would be appropriate where the seabed has a significant slope out to seaward?
Tasmania On route 08 118.jpeg

I'm a fan.

I've posted this image previously.

We were returning to Sydney from Tasmania and were at anchor in NW Tasmania waiting for the ideal weather window to cross Bass Strait. The next forecast gave us a Storm as the next 'event'. We had no idea what might be offered after the Storm passed and we made the decision to leave immediately for Australia mainland. It was tight reach but we made Wilson's Promontory before the weather broke. There is a tight anchorage on the east side of the Prom (weather comes from the west) with the imaginative name Refuge Cove. When we arrive in the cove is was a tight fit as there was another yacht already anchored. The other yacht was owned by a couple circumnavigating and they were half was round, after 12 years.

They were secured with 2 anchors and one shore line (to trees, or a tree). We simply anchored but the bullets from the approaching storm were totally unpredictable and we were being pummelled from what seemed every direction. We also opted for shore lines, one off each transom, and one anchor.

What was interesting was that though the bullets were making us yaw violently the actual line when taken ashore was easily held - the tensions were not significant (but the momentum developed by the yaws was big snatches).

We both sat out the storm, immobile, leaving plenty of room in the rest of the anchorage for anyone else (no-one arrived).

So the anchor(s) and shore line(s) immobilised us both, we simply did not move - which made life significantly more comfortable - and we freed up space (should anyone else seek refuge). The depth under Josepheline was 5m, nothing excessive - the motivation was to quell the yawing and immobilise the yachts.

When we have dried out and expect to remain for a few tides we use the primary rode and 2 anchors, one off each transom. We remain stationary and don't need to worry when the tide is high and we float again.

Snatch loads develop when the yacht moves - secure the yacht and snatch loads disappear (no acceleration) - you just need security from windage.

Jonathan

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Shore lines are useful, and sometimes essential in some places, like when taking the sun in the Calanques off Cassis, South of France

Cassis1.jpg

B27

Visit site
I can see it's the right thing to do in some non-tidal places.

Anywhere significantly tidal where it's common?

Even when I did it close to the shore to dry out, boats wanted to pass over the shore line.

NormanS

Visit site
Yes but, I think you are mostly referring to the fairly normal practice of taking a stern line(s) ashore. I am suggesting an alternative, where the shore line is not taken to the stern, but made fast to the anchor chain, below keel level, so that the boat is always free to swing head to wind. That of course has the added advantage that the line is below the surface, where it will not be an obstruction to others.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Yes but, I think you are mostly referring to the fairly normal practice of taking a stern line(s) ashore. I am suggesting an alternative, where the shore line is not taken to the stern, but made fast to the anchor chain, below keel level, so that the boat is always free to swing head to wind. That of course has the added advantage that the line is below the surface, where it will not be an obstruction to others.
I have used that method with two anchors in a very tidal anchorage (Aberdaron). In the horrendously crowded bays of Greece it would be disastrous I fear.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
The challenge with a shore line that is not a stern line (or any set-up where the boat can pivot 360 degrees) is snagging the rode on the keel. You have to keep the rode down, and shore ties are often up.

Solve that, all good. I've done it. Yup, solves the slope problem too (which is the reason I did it in one case).

NormanS

Visit site
The challenge with a shore line that is not a stern line (or any set-up where the boat can pivot 360 degrees) is snagging the rode on the keel. You have to keep the rode down, and shore ties are often up.

Solve that, all good. I've done it. Yup, solves the slope problem too (which is the reason I did it in one case).
I have been in the habit of leaving my boat for periods of up to a month in, for example, Shetland and the Outer Hebrides. These were in relatively sheltered and remote bays. For that I used a Bahamian Moor, with one anchor all on chain, and the other part chain and part rope. I attached the rope to the chain, and then lowered the chain so that the join was well below keel level. It was a nylon line, so it stayed down.
What I am suggesting is the idea of doing the same with a line to the shore. I have done it, but only very occasionally.

Neeves

Visit site
The problem with shore lines is the problem that Norman was trying to solve - how to ensure that the shore line is not a danger to other vessels. His solution is to secure the shore line to the rode, like a Bahamian moor, well down on the primary rode. If you tie to trees and the shore lines are high enough then you can hang items, fenders come to mind and mentioned by Vyv. Vyv also mentions use of shore lines with bright colours, white is the obvious one - how many have long enough lines that are still crisp and white?

Shore lines are accepted and are well accepted in high latitudes, Labrador and Patagonia - but are seldom used elsewhere and protocols have not been established, for more popular locations.

Patagonian examples:
IMG_6597.jpeg
IMG_6368.jpeg
One might think that with the availability of cheap LEDs - marking shore lines might be easier - but obviously not the case (no-one has mentioned them).

Fishermen, amateur, use LEDs on lines as do those who used nets on poles to catch prawns. Waterproof strings of LEDs are common place and cheap....? The warning devices need to be cheap and simple - or they will not be used....?

A problem is that the unsuspecting yacht is focussed on their own depth display, the yacht with the unknown shore lines and not only at the gap between the tethered yacht and shore. There must be a, bright :), answer other than Norman's tethering to the main rode.

Jonathan

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I have been in the habit of leaving my boat for periods of up to a month in, for example, Shetland and the Outer Hebrides. These were in relatively sheltered and remote bays. For that I used a Bahamian Moor, with one anchor all on chain, and the other part chain and part rope. I attached the rope to the chain, and then lowered the chain so that the join was well below keel level. It was a nylon line, so it stayed down.
What I am suggesting is the idea of doing the same with a line to the shore. I have done it, but only very occasionally.
Exactly. A good solution.

As Neeves implied, the rode must be either on the bottom or very well marked with floats.

The only times I have done this it was either very remote or because of an imminent tropical storm. Either way, no traffic.

noelex

Visit site
This type of battery powered LED flashing fishing light (in addition to a fender) is a helpful addition for night time visibility of the line. They are not expensive.

IMG_0791~photo(1).jpeg

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The problem with shore lines is the problem that Norman was trying to solve - how to ensure that the shore line is not a danger to other vessels. His solution is to secure the shore line to the rode, like a Bahamian moor, well down on the primary rode. If you tie to trees and the shore lines are high enough then you can hang items, fenders come to mind and mentioned by Vyv. Vyv also mentions use of shore lines with bright colours, white is the obvious one - how many have long enough lines that are still crisp and white?

Shore lines are accepted and are well accepted in high latitudes, Labrador and Patagonia - but are seldom used elsewhere and protocols have not been established, for more popular locations.

Patagonian examples:
View attachment 183416
View attachment 183417
One might think that with the availability of cheap LEDs - marking shore lines might be easier - but obviously not the case (no-one has mentioned them).

Fishermen, amateur, use LEDs on lines as do those who used nets on poles to catch prawns. Waterproof strings of LEDs are common place and cheap....? The warning devices need to be cheap and simple - or they will not be used....?

A problem is that the unsuspecting yacht is focussed on their own depth display, the yacht with the unknown shore lines and not only at the gap between the tethered yacht and shore. There must be a, bright :), answer other than Norman's tethering to the main rode.

Jonathan
Flashing LEDs are available for this purpose, we have seen several of them this year, all on superyacht type mobos. They need to be quite large for daylight hours, for us this would be inconvenient.

Mark-1

Visit site
Standard practice in crowded anchorages in Greece and Stockholm Archapelogo.

Mainly to cram more boats in, I think, although in Stockholm A you could often get close enough to step off.

NormanS

Visit site

Patagonian examples:
View attachment 183416
View attachment 183417

Jonathan
No, not really, other vessels would be a rarity. The problem that I was trying to solve was to be secured between two points, but still to be lying head to wind. I have no desire to be lying broadside on to the wind. In a strong wind on the beam, monohulls have a nasty habit of heeling over, and certainly in the case of my own boat, I get strange flute like noises from the mast.
By the way, tying to trees is generally frowned on, as it can easily damage the relatively fragile bark. The sort of places that I would be thinking of taking a line ashore, there are no trees, plenty rocks though.

BabaYaga

Visit site
No, not really, other vessels would be a rarity. The problem that I was trying to solve was to be secured between two points, but still to be lying head to wind. I have no desire to be lying broadside on to the wind. In a strong wind on the beam, monohulls have a nasty habit of heeling over, and certainly in the case of my own boat, I get strange flute like noises from the mast.
By the way, tying to trees is generally frowned on, as it can easily damage the relatively fragile bark. The sort of places that I would be thinking of taking a line ashore, there are no trees, plenty rocks though.
I think there would be a high risk of chafe on the shore line from rocks and stones etc in the shallow water next to the shore, especially in shifting wind directions.

noelex

Visit site
I think there would be a high risk of chafe on the shore line from rocks and stones etc in the shallow water next to the shore, especially in shifting wind directions.
The normal practice (when securing around rock) is to use a short length of chain. If the connection is around a tree, a flat strap is preferable (to prevent ring barking the tree). You can still add a length of chain if you are concerned about chafe on shoreside rocks.

Last edited: