Sewing machine for covers

Seastoke

Visit site
So I need to do some repairs on my winter covers , not sails . I have time now so thought I might have a go. Every one talks about sailrite I want second hand is there a different make as good or near and what type does anyone recommend . Cheers SS.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
A Singer 20u - several variations, semi industrial sewing machine. But is on an industrial sewing machine table so not portable. It can do both straight and zigzag so will do almost anything you need for covers or sails. There are a couple on ebay at the moment starting at £100, which is cheap - also a straight stitch machine from the same seller. I've used mine for numerous jobs on the boat and around the house.

Baddox

Visit site
I've used one of these to good effect, making boat stuff, repairing covers and replacing vinyl windows. Singer Heavy Duty Denim 6335M Sewing Machine
It punches through multiple layers if thick canvas without problems and can handle V92 thread. For the thickest thread it needs the tension set to max and a little help with a wind around the tensioner for the spool filler.

dgadee

Visit site
Bernina 807. Handles everything. Get a walking foot for it.

Does zig zag.

Weakness is max 4mm stitch, but I find it ok.

Last edited:

Puffin10032

Visit site
The cheapest option would be an old Japanese Singer 15 clone. They were beautifully engineered and very strong. Straight stitch only but that should be OK for what you're going to use it for. FWIW, although it has a lot of enhancements such as a walking foot, the Sailrite is basically a Singer 15 clone internally.

Singer 20s seem to go for about £600 (with table). They're good machines but if you decide to go down that route try to get one which has been upgraded to a servo motor. The old clutch-drive motors are very heavy and take quite a bit of practice to control at low speeds. BTW the Singer 20U33 has a mount on the casting which accept a domestic sewing machine motor (I've got mine set up like that ATM). Power it with a YDK YM-261C-12 120 watt motor and you wouldn't need the motor under the table.

B27

Visit site
I'm quite confused by sizing numbers of threads and needles.
Anyone able to translate to proper units?

lustyd

Visit site
I'm quite confused by sizing numbers of threads and needles.
Anyone able to translate to proper units?
Thicker thread tends to be stronger and more UV resistant. V69 is the minimum for outdoors and V92 is better. V69 needs a size 18 needle, domestic machines will usually only take a size 16 which can cause issues with thick thread. V92 wants a size 20 needle.
Sailrite have a good guide on this stuff.

Poignard

Visit site
I have successfully carried out a lot of repairs and major alterations to my sprayhood and overall winter cover using a Singer 401g.

Like this:

Now I have sold my boat I don't need it anymore.

You can have it for £150. Collect from Croydon.

It has all the cams and other accessories.

Last edited:

Goldie

Visit site
You possibly don’t need zig-zag so for straight stitch, look at a Jack H2. We have a Sailrite on the boat, but for home use, my wife loves her H2 and the extra length makes handling large covers so much easier. It’s a fantastic machine - and a lot cheaper than a Sailrite!

dgadee

Visit site
I use 100/16 needles and either v69 or upholstery thread depending on outside or in.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
IMHO any sewing machine you can get for the right price would be a good start and probably ok for covers. Of course if you can find those recommended great. ol'will

100%

An old model, with cast construction, from the 1950s / 60s would be my choice. Jones, Singer, Brother etc.

Ebay has some daft dealer prices for "semi industrial" machines - unless you can find one cheap locally on collection only. The term semi industrial means nothing. Just make sure your chosen machine is very heavy and see it working. Check the lift of the foot by taking along some canvass material folded to see it fits under. Be wary of people who say "I don't know anything about them" and, again, check it works. Straight stitch is all you need for canvass work.

Top tip: Use Facebook Marketplace, where suitable machines often come up for £20 - £50. Often ladies of a certain age find these machines too heavy and just want them gone and don't ask silly prices. Into the bargain they would often be more than happy to demonstrate them and chat.

The perfect £1000 machine is great but I would save that for next time

greeny

Visit site
I've used one of these to good effect, making boat stuff, repairing covers and replacing vinyl windows. Singer Heavy Duty Denim 6335M Sewing Machine
It punches through multiple layers if thick canvas without problems and can handle V92 thread. For the thickest thread it needs the tension set to max and a little help with a wind around the tensioner for the spool filler.
Its what I use for general covers and minor sail repairs. It only struggles and can't do multi thicknesses on sails in the corners. Relatively cheap compared to the Sailrite and other similar machines. Got mine on Amazon, sent to Portugal from Italy. 2 day delivery.

Boathook

Visit site
The one thing I would add about doing your own repairs is that it is difficult to get a nice straight line, especially when the seam is in the middle of the panel. Practice on areas where it isn't really noticeable.
For some awkward bits I hand sew; aligning the holes back up makes it easy to push the needle through.

geem

Visit site
We have been using a singer 201k for 10 years This machine was made in vast quantities and are easily purchased. Ours is 70 years old. All our canvas work has been made on this machine. They are powerful and made to the highest quality. We use V92 thread or Gore Tenara.
These machines were used by Rolls Royce to sew the leather seats. They are semi proffessional machines. You can get a good used one for less than £100.
We have made stackpacks, life raft cover, hatch covers, bimini, cockpit covers, winch covers, fitted new windows in the sprayhood. It's a great machine

PCUK

Visit site
We got a Sailrite-alike. 9" version with the big wheel. All the Sailrite parts fit. Email them with your delivery address and ask for a quote 'delivered'. The advertised price is nonsense, but the real price is a fraction of a Sailrite.
Hand Held Sewing Machine - Buy Electric Portable Household Sewing Machine,Zig Zag Stitching Machine,Flat Bed Sewing Machine Product on Alibaba.comView attachment 181571
I've got one those too. Now heavily modified but a solid reliable and simple machine. Got mine on Ebay for £40 some years ago.

Neeves

Visit site
If all you want to do is make covers, boom covers, sheet pockets, exterior window shades, out of something like a heavy duty canvas then a domestic Singer will be quite adequate. For sails you need something much heavier and preferably with a longer arm.

We use my mother's domestic Singer, from 1939 (17th birthday present).

Its much better than the more recent electric domestic Singer, about 1980.

Jonathan