September Scuttlebutt Cruise On The Clyde

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Ok Folks not been looking at the postings for a while.

Do you still want me to do the Quiz, that is of course if the weather lets us be on the Cumbrae pontoon or if it will still be there after Monday!!!. I will not be upset if you say no! Well maybe!!!

Anyway the questions are there, if the answer is yes. Then you will need to brush up on your Astrophysics, International Netball, African music, the life and times of Rumpelstiltskin.

Of course that will not help you answer any of the questions but just think how people will be impressed when you tell them your theory of Stellar Evolution. Maybe brushing up on your 2 times table will be more useful.

Looking forward to Friday, fingers crossed for the weather.
Danny

Danny, here,s me thinking you got flushed down the Carron:)
I was out your way today, what a difficult place to navigate with all those roundabouts, thats what happens when a young architect gets a dividers for a christmas present:D
C_W

falkirkdan

Visit site
Alive and kicking Eamonn. Just waiting for our summer to appear.

Yeah the roads in Falkirk confusing but since they have reopened the M80 and new section of M74 has cut 15/20 mins off journey to Kip but no doubt there will now be a flood of new traffic lights and more roundabouts to slow me down again.

Hope the weather for weekend improves, see on Windguru it is now showing wind swinging to the east, just what we want on Cumbrae pontoon, Not!

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Alive and kicking Eamonn. Just waiting for our summer to appear.

Yeah the roads in Falkirk confusing but since they have reopened the M80 and new section of M74 has cut 15/20 mins off journey to Kip but no doubt there will now be a flood of new traffic lights and more roundabouts to slow me down again.

Hope the weather for weekend improves, see on Windguru it is now showing wind swinging to the east, just what we want on Cumbrae pontoon, Not!

A gentle east on the pontoon is actually ok as the boat lies to her lines while the pontoon breaks any sea, also makes casting off easier.
Other option is to come alongside the south end pontoon facing east.
C_W

West Coast

Visit site
WC,

It does indeed clash with our TCC closing muster, but only if you intend to sail with the Scuttlebutt Fleet to Tarbert on the Saturday.

As I see it there are two options:

1, Attend the Friday soiree at the CWC & then Largs (TCC Muster) on the Saturday.

2, Friday CWC & Tarbert on the Saturday.

For moi it all depends on two things:

1, Wind direction and sea state on Friday through to Monday.

2, If anyone requires crew for the Saturday from the CWC to Tarbert returning on the Sunday / Monday (I’m flexible,) (via the CWC) to allow me to pick up Gina.

A couple of Skippers (from TCC) have mentioned that they will most probably be sailing to Tarbert for the music festival (bad timing on our part).

I seem to of generated the idea of sailing on a Friday (for any and all musters,) as it makes it more of an enjoyable event / weekend being ooot on the water for that extra night.

A few options (Millport, Rothesay etc) were mentioned for the Friday… but my vote is for the CWC for the craic... :D

So anyone requiring additional crew for the CWC – Tarbert leg (& return) I am available, as I have already contacted the appropriate peeps & leaving Gina on their pontoon for 24hrs-ish (with permission) should be OK.

OG.

Only tonight have I managed to secure a crew!

Work committments mean I cannot leave Troon til Sat morning, so need to choose between Largs to meet up with the TCC muster or Tarbert. Need to be back Sunday afternoon. Choices, choices.....:confused:

falkirkdan

Visit site
The sun was shining out on the Clyde today and little or no wind, warm enough for me to sail as I like. So I thought it was an ideal opportunity to hoist the sail and check if the moths had eaten the fabric. You will all be glad to know the sail is in one piece.

I had thought of heading to Cumbrae but did not and am I glad. It is perishing tonight so the thought of no power and therefore no heater at Cumbrae does not bear thinking about.

The questions are all ready for the quiz, the answers well that is another matter. But of course the answers that I have will be the correct ones!!!! Anyone found cheating using their Blackcurrent, Sinclair Spectum, slide rule etc etc will be black balled and thrown in the Clyde.

Billjratt

Visit site
Jealous Jealous Jealous.
Sahona is still sitting on her hole in Troon, but I heard Humming Bird and Negresco on the shed VHF, berthing at Cumbrae.
Hope you all have a good time, and no mishaps. We will be at TCC closing muster in Largs, so would appreciate it if you keep the noise down.
Thanks in anticipation,

Spyro

Visit site
Jealous Jealous Jealous.
Sahona is still sitting on her hole in Troon, but I heard Humming Bird and Negresco on the shed VHF, berthing at Cumbrae.
Hope you all have a good time, and no mishaps. We will be at TCC closing muster in Largs, so would appreciate it if you keep the noise down.
Thanks in anticipation,

Nothing wrong with their radios! or your's must be more than 20 miles across land or round a corner.
Fri night was a good night but I had to leave at 7am on Sat morn so 2am was late enough for me to leave Fairwell to Arms but the party was still going strong. I'm sure they would have been a few sore heads in the morn. Hope I didn't wake anyone. I sailed off the pontoon just to keep the noise down.

So How did Saturday go? I'm surprised there are no reports in yet. :confused::confused:

john m

Visit site
Friday night was great but was that good i didnt make it to tarbert on sat .
after leaving largs i realised i had the hangover from hell
So just turned back ill just need to put my 2day pass back in the cupboard till april lol
John (cassi)

AllanJ

Visit site
Didn't take part guys, but looking over the last few pages of posts reassures me to completely ignore weather forecasts for the Firth.
I went out Saturday morning about 11am, to Millport, Kilchatan, then up the E Kyle to Caladh Harbour, back to Rothesay after 6pm. Only rain that I got was coming into Rothesay. Sunday morning... brilliant.
Moral; go to the boat and make the decision there. :)
Hope you all had a great time.

Spyro

Visit site
Friday night was great but was that good i didnt make it to tarbert on sat .
after leaving largs i realised i had the hangover from hell
So just turned back ill just need to put my 2day pass back in the cupboard till april lol
John (cassi)

:D:D:D:D You'd think you would know better at your age :rolleyes:
After telling Jim you would take him as well, mind you I don't know if he would remember.

Anyone up for the Millport Fireworks this Saturday?

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
A short report on the week end.
HB and her crew Brian and Charlie, departed the pontoon at 10am and had a very pleasent sail/motorsail to tarbert arriving after 2pm to heavy rain.
A friend had a table for 18 booked in the newly decorated Anchor hotel. the food was very good and reasonably priced, ohh and all fresh, smoked haddock on a bed of mash topped with a poached egg, asparagus and veg. £12.75, great value.
Our table included, Gordon and Alec, 6 from escapade, HBs 3 and the rest were friends of the lady who booked us the places!
We finnished up in the Vic to listen to the Democrats playing rock music where every one of the 150 odd people in the place were dancing and having a fantastic time.
Later I and others spent a while on Farewell, well until aprox 4am.
Up at 0815 feeling fit as a fiddle and to lovely sunshine and a whisper of a NW breeze.
After a while milling around while waiting for our two additional crew, (Geoff and Michael from Escapade) HB headed home via the south of Bute and the tans, dropped my crew off at the cwc pontoon and took the other two lads to Fairlie to meet up with their buddies from Escapade, and home, completely knackered.
But my wk end had started on thur night in Millport!
Pics will be released next wk.
Saw a Basking shark while passing west of Inchmarnock isle.
The best all round SB wk end we have had so far.
C_W