September Scuttlebutt Cruise On The Clyde

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
And some people might want to sit and talk to folk without having to be quiet when the turn is on and then clap politely.

I go to meet folk and natter, a bit of background music would be OK but only if I can carry on a conversation without lipreading.

Perhaps I shouldn't really go to a music festival on reflection!

Try the confessional box in your local chapel, you wont get interupted there and can chat all day if you want.:D:D

OGITD

Visit site
Hmmmm…. Indeed!

Might take an early trip to Tarbert this weekend, the forecast is getting better all the time.

Whose forecast was this…. as we had a punishing eight hours on Saturday…. everyone was a little green for part of the outward leg... :(

Have the CWC ok,d the band?
I would imagine it would be quite loud which might not suit anyone on a course there, but I think it a brilliant idea.
What type of music is it?
C_W

I just have to speak with the senior members of the CWC staff, but a sixty minute session of some quality live music wouldn’t be too much out of the evening for people to enjoy….. & I thought it would make it more of an enjoyable event…. & at a cost of something in the region of £2 per head…. well!

OGITD - I would suggest checking with CWC before arranging the band - there might be licensing issues, or they might not want live music - we don't want to upset them;)

I thought we discussed this on the phone? & appropriate communication with the respective parties is basic commonsense….. upsetting anyone should never be an issue. :rolleyes:

We've been to Tarbert before for the music festival, never had to pay for anyone's expenses. :rolleyes: I'm sure I would enjoy the music but I don't think it's right we should be invading the place and bringing a band. I might be on my own with that opinion but thought I'd voice it.

We’ve “invaded the place” (CWC!)… on a number of occasions…. best example was when there was a large corporate team-building weekend who were rather taken-aback when we arrived on-mass and proceeded with the quiz. This until I sat in amongst them explained what was happening and convinced them all to join in…. which led to a rather successful event / evening. ;)

And some people might want to sit and talk to folk without having to be quiet when the turn is on and then clap politely.

I go to meet folk and natter, a bit of background music would be OK but only if I can carry on a conversation without lipreading.

Perhaps I shouldn't really go to a music festival on reflection!

Why would an hour of some live quality music be unappreciated and spoil peoples ability to converse and enjoy the rest of the evening / event? :rolleyes:

PeteCooper

Visit site
Initially when OGITD discussed this with me I thought it was a good idea. I have now had more time to think about and I am changing my mind.
At Cumbraes it is great to chat with people, and if people want then they can play music/sing whatever.
Some people don't arrive until late and might not like the idea of entering whilst the band is on.
I believe that it is the spontaneity of these events that make them the success that they have been so far, and changing that formula might not be a good thing.
Sorry OGITD, I know that this is a reversal of what I said last Thursday, but I have given it a lot of thought since then.
I would rather not have a band, but if people want to play that's fine.
What are other peoples opinions?

Kylora

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Sco
Visit site
..........At Cumbraes it is great to chat with people, and if people want then they can play music/sing whatever..............
I believe that it is the spontaneity of these events that make them the success that they have been so far, and changing that formula might not be a good thing..........
I would rather not have a band..........
What are other peoples opinions?
I agree with the bits of Pete's quote that I've shown above.

I would rather not have the band.

There is plenty of opportunity to listen to live music in Tarbert on Saturday.

Ash

Spyro

Visit site
Whose forecast was this…. as we had a punishing eight hours on Saturday…. everyone was a little green for part of the outward leg... :(

:

That's because you went in the wrong direction, Southerly 5-6 on Sat, Go North young man :) Westerly on Sun Go South. We had 2 great days of sailing sat was especially good, warm winds and plenty sunshine. Even got an hour with the spinnaker up as the wind dropped further up loch Fyne.

Gordonmc

Visit site
I caught up with Alex (Eilean) and Tom (Negresco) over the weekend and it looks as though we will be mob-handed on Farewell, at least at CWSC. It could be that some will fall by the wayside before Tarbert but I will be there assuming I still have at least one crew.
Hopefully the weather will settle. Friday was a pig in the Kyles with near-zero viz although Saturday evening turned out to be ok for a beach barbecue. Sunday was good but I had to be down the road fairly sharp in the afternoon.
I have been following the exchanges re. the band and although I have no strong feelings I did enjoy the impromptu way the sing-songs developed. I was looking forward to Eamonn finally getting through Fiddlers Green but experience tells us if no one is particulalrly bothered, the music doesn't take off.
And that's fine.

OGITD

Visit site
Not a problem.

Not a problem Gent’s…. filed in the “good ideas” cabinet, under sub-section “stony ground”..... ;):D

Last edited:

OGITD

Visit site
We just had to.

That's because you went in the wrong direction, Southerly 5-6 on Sat, Go North young man :) Westerly on Sun Go South. We had 2 great days of sailing sat was especially good, warm winds and plenty sunshine. Even got an hour with the spinnaker up as the wind dropped further up loch Fyne.

Would of loved to of sailed in any other direction….but!.... we had a date with a rock! ;)

And!.... I was “rough-weather-roll-dispenser” as no one else wanted to go below! :eek:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Like others I have been considering the status quo regarding a live band at the CWSC and although like others I initially thought it was a great idea I now think that it would spoil the relaxed evening that it has always been.
Amps and speakers are fine in a bigger venue but not in the Scuttlebutt bar, but I dont suppose there is anything to stop someone firing up a naturally aspirated instrument without all the turbo effects, someone like Patrick Bullen!;)

Anyone for the Cowel games this wk end?

While on the subject, is there anywhere in Dunoon its self to leave a boat, ie, moorings, pier, pontoon etc, other than Holy Loch marina?
C_W

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
I caught up with Alex (Eilean) and Tom (Negresco) over the weekend and it looks as though we will be mob-handed on Farewell, at least at CWSC. It could be that some will fall by the wayside before Tarbert but I will be there assuming I still have at least one crew.
Hopefully the weather will settle. Friday was a pig in the Kyles with near-zero viz although Saturday evening turned out to be ok for a beach barbecue. Sunday was good but I had to be down the road fairly sharp in the afternoon.
I have been following the exchanges re. the band and although I have no strong feelings I did enjoy the impromptu way the sing-songs developed. I was looking forward to Eamonn finally getting through Fiddlers Green but experience tells us if no one is particulalrly bothered, the music doesn't take off.
And that's fine.

Gordon, you never know what might happen after a few swigs of the latest consignment of the crator, God bless the stuff, but this is the smoothest tasting I have had to date, the real Garbh Scaiten;)
C_W

Spyro

Visit site
Like others I have been considering the status quo regarding a live band at the CWSC and although like others I initially thought it was a great idea I now think that it would spoil the relaxed evening that it has always been.
Amps and speakers are fine in a bigger venue but not in the Scuttlebutt bar, but I dont suppose there is anything to stop someone firing up a naturally aspirated instrument without all the turbo effects, someone like Patrick Bullen!;)

C_W

I also think it would be a bit of an abuse of the hospitality we have had at the CWC , we've had free use of the pontoon, showers etc and taken carry out food into the bar. I don't think we should push it any further.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Facilities at Dunoon

There aren't really any Eamon. There used to be moorings in the bay to the south of the pier but they were away when I was last there. I found that it tended to be an uncomfortable place to lie anyway. I have anchored here on several occasions but only in calm weather with the wind off-shore.

If you go round to Holy Loch, there are a few places to anchor west of the ferry terminal at Hunter's Quay, but again I have found that as the tide goes out that I was uncomfortably close to big bricks that appeared. The marina is the only sure place to stay overnight.

OGITD

Visit site
Not at all!

I also think it would be a bit of an abuse of the hospitality we have had at the CWC , we've had free use of the pontoon, showers etc and taken carry out food into the bar. I don't think we should push it any further.

There wouldn’t be any abuse of hospitality as a polite request would have been submitted, and if there was an objection then it would never of taken place….. simples! ;)
The pontoon is there for free use anyway just as long as you apply commonsense and good manners and do not just secure your boat for a number of days or weeks without speaking to or gaining permission from the senior CWC staff beforehand…. just good manners! :rolleyes:
And can we still take carryout food into the bar after some had issues with keeping it on their plate and off the floor? :(

I personally didn’t think you had to drive home any point which had already been “put to bed”…. which wouldn’t of generated this reply….eh!

Last edited:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
There aren't really any Eamon. There used to be moorings in the bay to the south of the pier but they were away when I was last there. I found that it tended to be an uncomfortable place to lie anyway. I have anchored here on several occasions but only in calm weather with the wind off-shore.

If you go round to Holy Loch, there are a few places to anchor west of the ferry terminal at Hunter's Quay, but again I have found that as the tide goes out that I was uncomfortably close to big bricks that appeared. The marina is the only sure place to stay overnight.

Thanks Ken, the marina it will have to be then, been there a few times and found the owners to be friendly, although the walk along the pontoon can be precarious in places especially if too much of the Crator was consumed, one could easily walk off the end on a few of the corners.:eek:
Regards, Eamonn.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Anyone heard from CTB recently, maybe he is roaming around Texas again.
You out there boy? gees us a hollar Geoff.
HB Calling Escapade.
C_W

Last edited:

OGITD

Visit site
Bute International Guitar Festival

Who said it had to be Tarbert!?

Bute International Guitar Festival
16 - 17 - 18 September 2011OPEN MIC STAGE – OPEN MIC COMPETITION
Rosanna O'Byrne, Tim Wood, Gary Miller, Johnny Boyle
Open Mic Stage (Featured Artists)
Prizes courtesy of JHS Ltd, Westside Distribution, Rothesay Music, Transclyde Music.
If you would like to take part in the competition please !

Email: info@transclydemusic.co.uk

The winner will receive a Vintage Electro-Acoustic Guitar, A complete PA system and a limited edition Gold G7 Capo. In addition the winner will appear on the Pavilion Main Stage later that day and be invited back to the island to appear in concert with Eleanor McEvoy at Mount Stuart on September 30th. There will be prizes for the runners-up.
The Big F Open Mic Competition is open to everyone, as long as you do what you do with a guitar or guitar-like instrument. (NB Solo artists only) The competition runs throughout Saturday 17th with the finals taking place on Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th September.

Venue is Rothesay Sailing Club

Looks like a good option..... what say you all?....:)

PS.... Now play nice!.... ;)

OGITD

Visit site
Lets make it a good-un!

I suppose it all depends on the weather (as if I needed to say that….eh!...)
So if it turns out to be on the nose for a return from Tarbert to Troon then I will be considering Rothesay…. not too sure if I’ll be entering the competition as there are many (most) guitarists who are much better than me…… but…. It looks like it could be a “good do” ....... :)

Still looking for all those duplicate gifts that we all have for the raffle….. to be stored in our MC’s Pete C’s “big box"… aka car boot..... ;)

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
I suppose it all depends on the weather (as if I needed to say that….eh!...)
So if it turns out to be on the nose for a return from Tarbert to Troon then I will be considering Rothesay…. not too sure if I’ll be entering the competition as there are many (most) guitarists who are much better than me…… but…. It looks like it could be a “good do” ....... :)

Still looking for all those duplicate gifts that we all have for the raffle….. to be stored in our MC’s Pete C’s “big box"… aka car boot..... ;)

John, it sounds very much to me that you cant be 4rsed sailing to Tarbert, or I could be wrong and its just a case of you not liking Tarbert:confused:
If the guitar fest is anything like the folk fest there (Rothesay) at easter it wont be worth going to and unless we were thare for the thur eve/fri morn I would imagine there wouldent be much chance of getting into the marina.
Why dont we wait and see what the weather is like on fri 16th, we could all be thankful to get to Rothesay if weather is pants.

I am donating a huge bundle of electric cabling for 12v wiring
so folk can have their boat instruments wired properly;);)
C_W