September Scuttlebutt Cruise On The Clyde

dunedin

Visit site
You are having a laugh, put a line near a cleat on any of the pontoons and you will quickley realise the harbour master or his squad dont quit until short of midnight, when they pester you for money, infact you could well be asked for money while as far as 50mtrs from the pontoon.
I have never called them up, I just go in, but then again it has never been during any sailing event.
Are you going to join us for the wk end?
C_W

We passed through Tarbert also last Saturday. No chance of getting near a pontoon let alone a cleat. Jammed full. Couldn't even pick up passenger - had to put bow in gap between two RIBs.
Probably the subject of a separate post, but various anti socials of the Mobo group had lined up along visitor pontoon and taken various steps to prevent anybody else rafting alongside (notably a big blue one who had a "reserved" sign on the offside. Could easily have rafted two or three deep like we used to (often was 6 or 7 deep before the new pontoons). Some others were yachtsmen so did allow sailboats to raft alongside. We picked up a THA mooring which worked fine - but did the honesty thing next day to discover moorings ridiculous price, virtually same as pontoon

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
We passed through Tarbert also last Saturday. No chance of getting near a pontoon let alone a cleat. Jammed full. Couldn't even pick up passenger - had to put bow in gap between two RIBs.
Probably the subject of a separate post, but various anti socials of the Mobo group had lined up along visitor pontoon and taken various steps to prevent anybody else rafting alongside (notably a big blue one who had a "reserved" sign on the offside. Could easily have rafted two or three deep like we used to (often was 6 or 7 deep before the new pontoons). Some others were yachtsmen so did allow sailboats to raft alongside. We picked up a THA mooring which worked fine - but did the honesty thing next day to discover moorings ridiculous price, virtually same as pontoon

So what was the event which led to so many boats being in there?

scottie

Visit site
13th/14th Aug East Loch Tarbert

• 12.00 Arrivals
• 13.00 Dress Overall
• 14.00 Teas & Coffee on the hard.
• 14.30 Children’s Treasure Hunt
• 17.00 Commodore’s Cocktails (Brandy Burn); Fancy Dress – no theme

18.00 BBQ on the hard. The club will provide disposables.
• 21.00 ‘til late - Inter-boat hospitality.

Following the success of Port Bannatyne and Holy Loch musters this year we expect a good turnout so with that in mind we will again operate a “berthing plan”. Members wishing to attend please inform the Club Secretary or email Vice Commodore Jamie Moffat jamiemoffat@gmail.com .

Should the weather prove inclement then Plan B is likely to be a social gathering at either Kip or Largs Marina. If this is likely to be the case we will inform you on the Thursday.
Don’t forget if you’re short-handed don’t worry; they’ll be plenty of hands available to see you safely berthed.

Thursday 11th Aug Hi Folks,

The flag officers having reviewed the weather forecasts and have decided to continue with the muster as the wind should have dropped and the amount of rain decreased. We have managed to have fun in the rain at Port Bannatyne and the Holy Loch so should fine at Tarbert, look out your umbrellas put away your sunglasses and see you on Friday or Saturday. I attach a copy of the berthing plan which shows the larger boats on the hammerheads or the long pontoon to the east, the rest are allocated on Pontoon A. Please call up RSMYC on the working channel 72 to be advised of your allocated berth, please let the duty officer know if you wish to come in forward or astern and if you want port or starboard too. We will try to stay with the programme as published so BBQ in Fancy Dress on Saturday evening. If you have indicated you will be attending but have changed your mind and are not coming can you let me know so I can remove your boat from the berthing plan

If there is a significant change in the weather forecast overnight an advise will be issued by email if we need to cancel.

Regards, Jamie Moffat
Vice Commodore

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
13th/14th Aug East Loch Tarbert

• 12.00 Arrivals
• 13.00 Dress Overall
• 14.00 Teas & Coffee on the hard.
• 14.30 Children’s Treasure Hunt
• 17.00 Commodore’s Cocktails (Brandy Burn); Fancy Dress – no theme

18.00 BBQ on the hard. The club will provide disposables.
• 21.00 ‘til late - Inter-boat hospitality.

Following the success of Port Bannatyne and Holy Loch musters this year we expect a good turnout so with that in mind we will again operate a “berthing plan”. Members wishing to attend please inform the Club Secretary or email Vice Commodore Jamie Moffat jamiemoffat@gmail.com .

Should the weather prove inclement then Plan B is likely to be a social gathering at either Kip or Largs Marina. If this is likely to be the case we will inform you on the Thursday.
Don’t forget if you’re short-handed don’t worry; they’ll be plenty of hands available to see you safely berthed.

Thursday 11th Aug Hi Folks,

The flag officers having reviewed the weather forecasts and have decided to continue with the muster as the wind should have dropped and the amount of rain decreased. We have managed to have fun in the rain at Port Bannatyne and the Holy Loch so should fine at Tarbert, look out your umbrellas put away your sunglasses and see you on Friday or Saturday. I attach a copy of the berthing plan which shows the larger boats on the hammerheads or the long pontoon to the east, the rest are allocated on Pontoon A. Please call up RSMYC on the working channel 72 to be advised of your allocated berth, please let the duty officer know if you wish to come in forward or astern and if you want port or starboard too. We will try to stay with the programme as published so BBQ in Fancy Dress on Saturday evening. If you have indicated you will be attending but have changed your mind and are not coming can you let me know so I can remove your boat from the berthing plan

If there is a significant change in the weather forecast overnight an advise will be issued by email if we need to cancel.

Regards, Jamie Moffat
Vice Commodore

Think I will stick with the Music festivals:rolleyes:
C_W

OGITD

Visit site
An opportunity not to be missed.

On a very similar basis as to what we did last time (PM if required) we have the opportunity for some live music. This in addition to, and in support of the musical entertainment which is always provided by certain skippers and crew.

As of yet there are a few details to iron-out….. but I’m sure we’ll get there.

On top of this we are looking for any and all duplicate gifts which most of us have in our drawers, under the stairs, in the spare room or the attic for the raffle…. and as suggested…. as it will be approaching Christmas soon-ish, all proceeds going to York Hill Children’s Hospital…… well!….. it was the RNLI last time. :)

And as an initial couple of prizes.... there are two tickets to a musical evening at SWG3 (Glasgow) on 15th of October, and a set (new) of stainless carabiners for your boat etc.

OG.

Last edited:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
On a very similar basis as to what we did last time (PM if required) we have the opportunity for some live music. This in addition to, and in support of the musical entertainment which is always provided by certain skippers and crew.
As of yet there are a few details to iron-out….. but I’m sure we’ll get there.

On top of this we are looking for any and all duplicate gifts which most of us have in our drawers,. :)OG.
So whats in your drawers then?

+Oppertunity for some live music??
C_W

Last edited:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
For those of you who aim to be there, you can have Toasties made for you if you phone earlier on the day and order them, (Shirley catering Manager on,01475530757) likewise you can have breakfast served on sat morning if you book it on fri eve.
C_W

OGITD

Visit site
So whats in your drawers then?
+Oppertunity for some live music??
C_W

"a set (new) of stainless carabiners for your boat" :rolleyes:.... but!... hello sailor ;)

+ a four-piece band (two guitars, drums & cello)..... & all we need is a whip-round just to cover their expenses. :)

If we have a programme where they play anytime after 22:00 then we need to find three spare berths for the Friday night (I’ll have one band member plus one additional crew) as the last ferry is 22:30…… I need a bigger boat!

PS.... plus their PA for the quiz.

Last edited:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
"a set (new) of stainless carabiners for your boat" :rolleyes:.... but!... hello sailor ;)

+ a four-piece band (two guitars, drums & cello)..... & all we need is a whip-round just to cover their expenses. :)

If we have a programme where they play anytime after 22:00 then we need to find three spare berths for the Friday night (I’ll have one band member plus one additional crew) as the last ferry is 22:30…… I need a bigger boat!

Have the CWC ok,d the band?
I would imagine it would be quite loud which might not suit anyone on a course there, but I think it a brilliant idea.
What type of music is it?
C_W

OGITD

Visit site
Have the CWC ok,d the band?
I would imagine it would be quite loud which might not suit anyone on a course there, but I think it a brilliant idea.
What type of music is it?
C_W

Their music covers most genres, folk/rock, traditional/country etc.

The volume won’t be OTT as they’re not putting on a full system concert & can be kept to an acceptable level.

Roughly 45-60 minutes of good entertainment for almost nowt!,,,, who have (and still do) play around the west of Scotland with many other groups etc.

Why not make this an end of season-ish sailing & musical extravaganza? :)

I might even play a few myself!.... :eek:

PeteCooper

Visit site
OGITD - I would suggest checking with CWC before arranging the band - there might be licensing issues, or they might not want live music - we don't want to upset them;)

Spyro

Visit site

We've been to Tarbert before for the music festival, never had to pay for anyone's expenses. :rolleyes: I'm sure I would enjoy the music but I don't think it's right we should be invading the place and bringing a band. I might be on my own with that opinion but thought I'd voice it.

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
And some people might want to sit and talk to folk without having to be quiet when the turn is on and then clap politely.

I go to meet folk and natter, a bit of background music would be OK but only if I can carry on a conversation without lipreading.

Perhaps I shouldn't really go to a music festival on reflection!