Selling a boat

Jeep

Visit site
Not an ad, just a rant and asking for advice!

My lovely old boat has been up for sale for a few months and all I have had is nutters, fantasists and out and out scammers. The paid for adsites have been hopeless (but the free ones excellent!) and having wasted six weeks of my time on a 'buyer' to have him pull out at the eleventh hour (or 11.59 to be precise) even after an excellent survey is driving me nuts. It seems I can't give her away, any advice out there?

(Sorry about the rant ) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Hope springs eternal

The market for old boats is tiny.

Most of us have "been there, done that thing and got the T shirt". I once took 19 months to sell a perfectly nice boat; in the end the right buyer turned up, was scrupulously correct, paid the asking price and looked after the boat well.

There will be a buyer out there - in the end!

Lakesailor

Visit site
As boats are a non-essential and aspirational purchase, you will get plenty of dreamers.
I posted before about the unrealistic expectations of the prospective buyers. I sold a cheap boat eventually to the bloke who had viewed it first.
Stingo posted about his boat selling tribulations.
As boats move up in the value stakes I guess it gets more difficult.

Jeep

Visit site
Thanks chaps, its nice to know I am not alone. To be honest, finding her a good home is more important than the money. I am just annoyed that I have wasted 6 weeks yard fees and she has dried out to such an extent that I am going to have to pump her out for a good few hours.

jezjez

Visit site
I'm trying to change from GRP to wood - it's a difficult decision and finding the right boat takes a while. If you're going to look after one properly you've got to feel something
special for the boat...so in defence of the time wasters, eventually someone will fall in love and take care of your pride and joy, even it takes a few tyre kicking exercises first. Is the ad posted on the internet somewhere?

Jeep

Visit site
Hi jezjez, I don't want to upset anyone with advertising, drop me an email and I'll send you some details.