Selden In Mast Furling Motor - How Much !

arh

Visit site
Hi,

When I purchased my new to me yacht (Hylas 44) the electric in mast furling was not functioning, believed to be an electrical fault.

After further investigation, turns out that the electric motor is not repairable (the motor was removed and returned to selden in Sweden for repair).

Quote for a new motor, GBP 8,200 excluding VAT !

Anyone else had the motor fail and managed to source another motor at a more reasonable cost ?

What alternatives, buy the manual in mast furling gear and revert to manual ?

Thanks

Tony

Talulah

Visit site
Here's the manual.
http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1404464511/595-193-E.pdf

Out of curiosity Is the £8200 including fitting? Unstepping/Stepping the mast etc.
I wonder what the cost is of buying the complete conversion kit.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were charging you for the complete conversion kit but just taking the motor out it.
Should for a moment you consider paying the £8200 + VAT and there is not much difference in price between the price of the motor and the price of the kit buy the kit.
Depending upon how old your mast is you are likely to find other parts need replacing.

arh

Visit site
Steve,

Yes i will request the motor be returned, if i manage to get it back then i will PM you and request a contact to your brother-in-laws firm. The boat is in conwy marina so Bolton is close. At the very worse i could keep it as a spare for the future (hopefully one that is never needed!)

Talulah,

i was advised that that is just the cost of supplying the motor, but i will check. The mast does not need to be stepped to fit the new motor luckily. I agree, if I need to buy new then it may be just as cheap to get the full conversion kit. Looking at the manual, it appears that there are more cut-outs in the mast to convert from manual to electric so the option to revert to manual would probably mean a new mast, which would cost more than the motor i guess.

I have requested a few alternative quotes and tried to contact a supplier in Sweden who appears to have the part for less than what i have been quoted so far.

Thanks for the responses

cheers

pvb

Visit site
I just had a look at the Selden literature, and it appears that the motor on the earlier electric masts is a Lucas, so I'd imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. The literature suggests that the complete electric drive unit should be returned to Selden every 3 years (max 5 years) for servicing - bet many owners don't do that!

The parts list is worth looking at for the diagrams - http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-410-E.pdf

The operation manual has some good info on taking the unit apart - http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-055-E.pdf - and has an interesting little note that the motor on 12v systems is marked "24v"!

Gypsea Rover

Visit site
If you can get it back, my brother-in-law runs a large motor rewinding sideline in Bolton... Anything is repairable with enough effort.

Does your brother in law still rewind motors? I saw that another Selden motor owner needed his motor serviced, did your brother in law do the work? Given the price of a new unit, I am looking for someone to service my unit, and I don't trust anyone here in Thailand to do it.

Please advise.

Brian

Neziak

Visit site
I have just ordered the seal and bearing kit to service my in-mast furling gearbox as described in the link to advisory 595-410-E above.
Has anybody performed this service themselves and if so, is it a straightforward? Is it a one or two person job?
Thanks
Nez