Seized deck fitting fresh water filler (alloy)

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
I have a seized deck fitting for fresh water filling. It is made by Amiot and consists an alloy threaded cap into an alloy base. It is off the boat now, it did rotate with great difficulty about 180m degrees then stopped solid, so we suspect something was picked up in the threads. The other 2 on the boat are fine, but do get more use). I suspect that the best course of action is to fine a suitable replacement. But happy to receive and suggestions as to how to remove the cap, but only worthwhile if a replacement alloy threaded cap is available. The fitting has been in the vice at home and a lot of heat applied by heat gun and attempts with punch and hammer made to rotate both clockwise and anticlockwise to no avail.

Attachments

• Deck filler 2.jpeg
    Deck filler 2.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Deck filler 3.jpeg
    Deck filler 3.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 26
  • deck filler.jpeg
    deck filler.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 26

mullet

Visit site
As above, soak - but if it doesn’t come out easily perhaps consider a bit for an impact wrench that fits the female winch handle type fitting on the cap. I had a seized fuel filler (aluminium that had corroded when the boat was laid up for a long time under its previous owner) and that was the only way I got it open. Subsequent regular greasing has kept it easy to open since.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You could first try boiling it in water for half an hour or so then quickly mounting it in a vice and using a winch handle to try to turn it. The winch handle will fit in the star shaped hole and will give you good leverage and won't further damage the item.

After that it's soaking in acetone/ brake fluid mix for a week and using the winch handle.

RupertW

Visit site
I’ve changed 2 of mine over the last 10 years. The originals were Amiot but as long as they say Water or Diesel I was fine with replacements fRon different chandlers we came across.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
The thing is however you resolve the problem is to use Turbojel or similar product on the threads of all deck fillings like this, they are better than grease . Mine were always stiff and seizing up until I started using this stuff.

yotter

Visit site

nigel1

Visit site
Nigel,
Many thanks for the link. It is an Osculati from Italy. I just need to check the dimensions, mine has a 55mm neck which goes through the transom, some are 38mm right to the flange which would be awkward to fit. If this fits, its a good price also:)
Many thanks
Worthwhile contacting the seller, they have been very helpful in the past.

Got a spare one in front of me.
Flange diameter is 95mm
Below the flange and over a length of approx 26mm the neck, the diameter is 55mm
Then a short taper to the hose tail which is 38mm diameter. Length of hose tail 45mm.

Beneteau used to fit the Amiot type fillers, then switched to the Osculati fillers. Not sure if this was because Amiot went out of business, or too many complaints about seized fittings.

penberth3

Visit site
I have a seized deck fitting for fresh water filling. It is made by Amiot and consists an alloy threaded cap into an alloy base. It is off the boat now, it did rotate with great difficulty about 180m degrees then stopped solid, so we suspect something was picked up in the threads. The other 2 on the boat are fine, but do get more use). I suspect that the best course of action is to fine a suitable replacement. But happy to receive and suggestions as to how to remove the cap, but only worthwhile if a replacement alloy threaded cap is available. The fitting has been in the vice at home and a lot of heat applied by heat gun and attempts with punch and hammer made to rotate both clockwise and anticlockwise to no avail.

Scrap it. There's now so much damage to the outside of the plug it's unlikely to seal properly. The star socket is also damaged, the tool will be a very bad fit causing more grief. It might not have been scrap before you started on it, but it is now. A learning experience.

yotter

Visit site
Worthwhile contacting the seller, they have been very helpful in the past.

Got a spare one in front of me.
Flange diameter is 95mm
Below the flange and over a length of approx 26mm the neck, the diameter is 55mm
Then a short taper to the hose tail which is 38mm diameter. Length of hose tail 45mm.

Beneteau used to fit the Amiot type fillers, then switched to the Osculati fillers. Not sure if this was because Amiot went out of business, or too many complaints about seized fittings.
Nigel,
Many thanks, I tried to contact Osculati to no avail. Your info is just what need, it should fit, I will order the noo:).
Once again many thanks

yotter

Visit site
Scrap it. There's now so much damage to the outside of the plug it's unlikely to seal properly. The star socket is also damaged, the tool will be a very bad fit causing more grief. It might not have been scrap before you started on it, but it is now. A learning experience.
Yes, it is getting scrapped, even if it seals, it is now ugly. After soaking in WD40 overnight, still no movement with a big hammer and punch, I suspect something (dirt) has picked up in the threads. It will be float tested (not in the tank).
Angus

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Agreed. I wouldn’t be refitting the damaged item. Plenty of options for deck fillers on the market.

Refueler

Visit site

Sorry have to agree as well .....

Taking blunt force trauma to it was not really way to go ....

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Doubt if OP would be willing to pay $229 for a deck fill. Could buy four of the stainless deck fills for that price.

Yes I did not see the price.

Mine deck fillers are all stainless steel and the cap is not inset and covers the whole fitting to prevent any crap lodging in the thread