Seeking Portuguese residencia - please read.

nortada

Visit site
As things stood previously, a second 5 year residence was issued. What will happen after 31/12 when we're no longer EU citizens, I don't know but, hopefully, they will treat is as application submitted before that date.

Remember, permanent status says 10 years on the card but I don't know if that will just be document renewal or residence checks.

This is on my check list to apply my mind to but I ‘m going to wait until SEF have issued the biometric permits.

The other half of the question is, “What will Brits have to do to get residency after 31/12/20❓

Again I will save this question until the New Year. If a simple solution is not forthcoming, Brit boats wintering in Portugal will become a thing of the past. This could lead to very few Brit boats coming to Portugal in the future and a big hole in the budget.

Having been here through the berths being acceptable as an official address debate, I am confident a solution acceptable to all will be found.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
................The other half of the question is, “What will Brits have to do to get residency after 31/12/20❓“......................
Having been here through the berths being acceptable as an official address debate, I am confident a solution acceptable to all will be found.

All information so far points to new arrivals after 31/12 being treated as third country citizens but, there are different rules/agreements for some of those. We'll just have to wait and see what agreements may be made during negotiations as "no deal" doesn't rule out individual country treaties.

nortada

Visit site
All information so far points to new arrivals after 31/12 being treated as third country citizens but, there are different rules/agreements for some of those. We'll just have to wait and see what agreements may be made during negotiations as "no deal" doesn't rule out individual country treaties.

My thinking exactly.

I will be pushing gently for a special deal for Brits. My strong point will be, as it will not affected me, I have no self-interest.

My interest is the follow-on for berth-holders after their first 5 years❓

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
When I did my first 5yr residence here, I had to get a statement signed by the village president and by two portuguese citizens to state that I did live in the village at my stated address and had done so for the previous 6 months.
The residence applications I've been involved in recently have not needed this. No proof required of any type on length of time spent in Portugal. After Brexit who knows.

greeny

Visit site
Needn't be a problem if you are UK resident, SSR it. This is the registry which has problems Dutch Yacht Registration €299 EUR | VALID IN ALL EU WATERS
I just looked at their website. They're now telling owners in Portugal to go to the Polish registration at 499 euros because as you rightly say, Portugal doesn't accept this Dutch one at 299 euros. Money being made here I think.
I've not seen many Polish registrations down here yet though.

nortada

Visit site
I just looked at their website. They're now telling owners in Portugal to go to the Polish registration at 499 euros because as you rightly say, Portugal doesn't accept this Dutch one at 299 euros. Money being made here I think.

Big increase in the number of Polish flagged boat here this year. Some in transit but otheres on longer term contracts.

srm

Visit site
A friend, US/Portuguese dual national, was looking at re-registering his Portuguese boat and came to the conclusion that the easiest registry with his new EU citizenship was Belgium. There are a couple of boats here (probably Portuguese owned) with Belgium flags. Eventually, my friend sold his boat without re-registering it.