Seeking Portuguese residencia - please read.

Seastoke

Visit site
I disagree with you, these people have been living in the eu but keeping their status in the Uk , they have been using their eu card for medical work and taking out annual holiday insurance to cover travel back to the uk , it is not right .

greeny

Visit site
I disagree with you, these people have been living in the eu but keeping their status in the Uk , they have been using their eu card for medical work and taking out annual holiday insurance to cover travel back to the uk , it is not right .
Really? Have they? Serious allegations. You seem well informed. Do you know them?

Edit- and now you "like" my post. What are you trying to achieve in all this.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

Who are you disagreeing with❓

You state,”Is it not right.” Is what not right❓

Whether or not they are living in the Portugal, they would be UK citizens with ordinary residency and until the end of the year classified as EU citizens. After 3 months, whether or not they register, Portugal classifies them as Portuguese residents.

When required, they can use their UK EHIC card for medical support, which means, the costs would have been paid by the UK, where any direct taxes would be paid. In Portugal they would pay indirect taxes (EVA); top rate 23%. Even if they do not have an EHIC, if they are over 65, they will be treated free by the Portuguese Health Service.

Don’t understand the relevance of holiday insurance (annual or not)❓

Their only mistake was not registering in Portugal, which until Brexit came along was the norm. Not only in Portugal but across the EU.

Guess what, the majority of non-British EU residents, who visit other EU countries for longer than 3 months also do not register in their host countries. As became apparent during lock down, during the winter months, marinas are full of them.

The authorities are fully aware of the situation so do they pursue them❓

No - they are only too happy to have the income generated during the leaner winter period.

Greeny is trying to save people from being charged €750 to get Portuguese residency. I am sure you applaud his efforts.?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I don't think he knows himself. He just liked my last post. ???

I liked your last post? but we digress from you important message.

If this goes on much more, I will post the British Embassy Q&A which covers residency in detail and the Consular Policy Officer, who is Portuguese, makes Portugal’s position clear.

Including their attitude to those who have been in the county for some time but failed to register.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Can you explain what's wrong with a UK tax payer spending extended time abroad at no cost to the UK?

nortada

Visit site

Think something might be missing from your message?

But as I understand it to maintain Spanish residency, I would have to spend a minimum of 183 days in Spain so I have abandoned that idea as legally, I can already spend 180 days per year in Spain on my Portuguese residency and as there no boarders between Portugal and Spain, with a little caution, probably a lot more ?

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
But as I understand it to maintain Spanish residency, I would have to spend a minimum of 183 days in Spain so I have abandoned that idea
Probably a fairly normal requirement for resident status and quite logical. I had to renounce my Canadian Permanent Resident status as I had not spent enough time in the country to renew it.

Seastoke

Visit site
Can you explain what's wrong with a UK tax payer spending extended time abroad at no cost to the UK?
Yes he is posibly avoiding tax in the country he is in also he does not want to lose his uk status , hence cheating both countries . and proberbly still wants to vote in GE.

greeny

Visit site
Yes he is posibly avoiding tax in the country he is in also he does not want to lose his uk status , hence cheating both countries . and proberbly still wants to vote in GE.
You are so off track with your assessment and accusation of my friends. You are unbelievable. If you knew my friends you would be ashamed of your comments.
How do you know all these things about them?
The fact is you don't know.
You are speculating. And you are wrong.
End of story.
But I know it won't be for you. Because that's the type of person you are.
So go on, make some more accusations up and reply to my post.
Don't disappoint me.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Rubbish. For a start, UK and Portugal allow dual residence and have a double tax agreement. We for instance have a UK house and pay taxes there, don't live on benefits or even use any public services for half the year. We also have a property in Portugal on which we pay taxes and in common with everyone here, pay 23% tax (VAT) on money spent here. Being UK residents allows us to have health care there which we have paid for over the working years and Portugal gives residents free health care.

As everything is within the law of both countries, can you explain how this is cheating them both?

Sandyman

Visit site
Rubbish. For a start, UK and Portugal allow dual residence and have a double tax agreement. We for instance have a UK house and pay taxes there, don't live on benefits or even use any public services for half the year. We also have a property in Portugal on which we pay taxes and in common with everyone here, pay 23% tax (VAT) on money spent here. Being UK residents allows us to have health care there which we have paid for over the working years and Portugal gives residents free health care.

As everything is within the law of both countries, can you explain how this is cheating them both?
Because you're a Pirata :) ..........................as well as a deserter lol. ( just like me)

Seastoke

Visit site

So they have not registered in the country , is that not breaking the law , not directed at any individual , but you know who you are.