Seeking Portuguese residencia - please read.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
So they have not registered in the country , is that not breaking the law , not directed at any individual , but you know who you are.

Some do break the law in every country by not registering but, the Portuguese couldn't care less. I'm still waiting to hear why you assume someone is cheating in both countries and not paying taxes.

srm

Visit site
What healthcare cover do you need for Residency in Portugal?

Application of rules in Portugal can vary from official to official, so my experience may/does differ from that of others on this forum.

No health cover was asked for when I obtained my initial 5 year temporary residence as an EU/UK citizen.

Before applying for permanent residence I asked the SEF official what I needed to provide. For health cover either evidence of health insurance or Portuguese social security number; she wanted to scan the social security card when I made the application.

capnsensible

Visit site
Ta, both. Was wondering if there was much difference to Spain. The S1 works, well, to the end of the year, but for non 'seniors ' ? You do need to provide evidence of health insurance. That's a big difference for most folk and I guess why so many stayed under the radar until the b word came along.

Graham376

Visit site
Before applying for permanent residence I asked the SEF official what I needed to provide. For health cover either evidence of health insurance or Portuguese social security number; she wanted to scan the social security card when I made the application.

It's all very strange, are you below pension age? When applying some years ago for permanent residence, no questions asked about health cover and I don't have a social security number, was told no need to register for one unless wanting to work or claim benefits. I just went to local Centro de Saude and registered with doctor to get into health system.

Graham376

Visit site
Ta, both. Was wondering if there was much difference to Spain. The S1 works, well, to the end of the year, but for non 'seniors ' ? You do need to provide evidence of health insurance. That's a big difference for most folk and I guess why so many stayed under the radar until the b word came along.

I think crunch time for many came when it was announced the UK were pulling out of the EHIC arrangement. Many expats can't afford to pay for private treatment and private health cover for 70+ age group with pre-existing complaints is very expensive.

nortada

Visit site
I think crunch time for many came when it was announced the UK were pulling out of the EHIC arrangement. Many expats can't afford to pay for private treatment and private health cover for 70+ age group with pre-existing complaints is very expensive.

Has the EHIC thing been resolved❓

Last thing I read was that both the UK and Portugal recognise the benefits if EHIC and it was possible that the 2 countries would enter into a bilateral treaty on health.

Very much in Portugal’s favour as, apparently, there are far more Portuguese working in the UK than pensioners in Portugal, but the UK values the Portuguese workers in the UK (especially in the NHS) so will bend over backwards to keep them in country.

On a broader front, in the run up to Brexit and beyond, I think there will be many bilateral deals done between countries with common interest.

srm

Visit site
It's all very strange, are you below pension age?
Not all that strange, just the variable application of Portugese bureaucracy. I am above UK pension age, but did some freelance work here as skipper for a local charter company, hence having a Portuguese social security number. I suspect the SEF officer in Angra follows the rule book closely as we have had to provide all sorts of documentation for my Canadian wife to get a spouse residence card.

I had my permanent residence interveiw last October, so it was possibly under a different version of the rules to yours. Also, when the officer was telling me what documents were required she was probably giving generic advice.

capnsensible

Visit site
I reckon the EHIC was always risky for long term stayers....it's supposed to be for temporary visits. Anyway, lots seem to be different just over the border. You just can't get residency below pension age without health insurance or via a work contract (which we did) into the Spanish health system. Big advantage for getting Portugese residency. Just seems too easy!

nortada

Visit site
I reckon the EHIC was always risky for long term stayers....it's supposed to be for temporary visits. Anyway, lots seem to be different just over the border. You just can't get residency below pension age without health insurance or via a work contract (which we did) into the Spanish health system. Big advantage for getting Portugese residency. Just seems too easy!

Not too easy - just easy.

It wasn’t until the Brexit mularky kicked off that we realised how different the administrations in Spain and Portugal were. Until then, if we ever thought about it, most of us thought all of Iberia was roughly the same. We were so wrong.

For many one of the big advantages of Portuguese residency is there is no requirement to spend a minimum of 6 months in country every year. It makes life much simpler for those who like to float between different countries, including the UK.

capnsensible

Visit site
Don't know about being required to spend at least six months in the country? Will dig around. Not a problem as we have moved to the Canaries permanently, but in years past I have spent long periods away.

Graham376

Visit site
For many one of the big advantages of Portuguese residency is there is no requirement to spend a minimum of 6 months in country every year. It makes life much simpler for those who like to float between different countries, including the UK.

People have been refused permanent status when they couldn't convince officials they spend most of their time and were established here.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Don't know about being required to spend at least six months in the country? Will dig around. Not a problem as we have moved to the Canaries permanently, but in years past I have spent long periods away.
If it helps this was the advice I received from a solicitor when I was thinking of getting residency in Spain

'Good afternoon xxxx
My colleague Pippa has asked me to contact you.
I can see from your initial email that you are wanting to continue staying in Spain during the winter months.
If you are to apply for you residencia, you will then have to be here a minimum of 183 days as otherwise you will revoke your residencia and what with the high probability of passports going to get stamped, it will be easy to prove.
I you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like a meeting via zoom or even a telephone consultation, we can arrange this.'

More on it here
Residence Permit Renewal: Make sure you spend at least 6 months in Spain!
'One of the most common causes of rejection by the Spanish authorities when it comes to renewing a residence permit is directly related to the failure of the applicant to comply with the minimum stay requirements that Spanish law dictate.
A temporary residence permit application allows a person to stay in Spain for more than 185 days per year during a maximum period of 2 years. These temporary residence permits can be renewed once 2 year period has passed, but only if you spend at least 185 days in Spain within each year, which is the minimum stay requirement set by Spanish law for temporary residence permits...
We cannot but emphasize the importance of this minimum stay to keep your residency status or be able to apply for a new one. As a matter of fact, it is one of the main reasons for a rejection in immigration applications. Some time ago, Spanish immigration officers would have a more relaxed attitude towards the actual compliance of this requirement. However, this is no longer the case, and they will thoroughly examine all the entry and exit stamps on your passport.'

As you say it won't be applicable for you, but there are quite a few people who spend just a few months in Spain who are unaware of it and they will likely come unstuck in the future

Graham376

Visit site
So what happens if you're permanent status is refused, can you revert to a new temp residency for another 5 years?

As things stood previously, a second 5 year residence was issued. What will happen after 31/12 when we're no longer EU citizens, I don't know but, hopefully, they will treat is as application submitted before that date.

Remember, permanent status says 10 years on the card but I don't know if that will just be document renewal or residence checks.