Securing a tender to the boat

Bristolfashion

Visit site
OK, we have a small, hard tender. When at anchor / mooring we just secure it by the painter to float off the back of the boat. All well and good.

...... But ......

When we're drying, the tender or the painter can get caught, causing the tender to fill with water and, this morning, the painter to get wrapped around the propeller (luckily, easy to free)

What's a better system for securing the tender (apart from bringing it back on deck that is)?

I have seen tenders suspended alongside - how does that work.

As ever, thanks for any advice - if anyone was going to call me a twit or incompetent - I already know!😀

GHA

Visit site
Pole can be handy to get it on/off deck or store alongside >

By85xZr.gif

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I have seen tenders suspended alongside - how does that work.

When I need to haul it alongside I use a halyard, the dinghy is lifted by the same two points I use with the stern gantry; if you lift it both with and without outboard the two legs of the bridle should be of variable length otherwise it won't remain horizontal (at least mine doesn't).
Here I was taking measurements with/without weights aft.

gommone.jpg

Talking about drying, I once saw a picture of a twin keel RM which had dried, and when water came back the dinghy was caught under the boat, hidden between the two keels, very odd :D

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
If you see traditional boats with wooden tenders at anchor, the tender is always tied to one or other quarter. I have tried all the incorrect ways with usually rubber dinghies, including on a long painter with a bucket to hold it in the tide, and the only way of having a peaceful night without bringing it on board or davits is the traditional way. with the dinghy tied fore & aft and a fender or two, she should sit there happily.

GHA

Visit site
I like davits because you can go sailing without having to do anything to the dinghy 🙂
I like never blowing up the dinghy 😁😁
Though back pre kayak the whole lot just fitted on the foredeck with outboard so same. Minute or so to stash the pole & off we go.
Possibly simpler than davits with just one line to attach, these work well if you can find one, think flint hire & supply in london sell them. On a spare halyard & clips into a dyneema loop with a little plastic tube to keep to loop open at the top of the bridle>

Though nice with no dinghy being able to go into seriously strapped down storm mode in a few minutes with the kayak tied tight to the foredeck.

3mm dyneema works well for tie downs & bridles, splice an eye and instead of tapering & burying the tail leave it well long & pulled back out through the main line then easy to get really fine adjustments. 😎