Sealine boats

Seastoke

Visit site
My opinion is that they were very innovative in design, ie SC 35 and F42/5 , who was their designers and are they anywhere else.

rafiki_

Visit site
The SC 35 was quite marmite when launched. As were the F46 and F42. The earlier 42-5 was very conventional other than the transom seat. You will be aware that Hanse in Germany bought the moulds when Sealine closed in Kidderminster, and Sealines are built there. I don’t recall the stylists, but I’m sure if you go on the Sealine forum there will be folk there who can help.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
My opinion is that they were very innovative in design, ie SC 35 and F42/5 , who was their designers and are they anywhere else.
Can’t answer your question but because they were the smallest of the major UK manufacturers, their way of making their marque was to be innovative and being relatively small they had the agility to do this. The initiative being led by founder father Tom Murrant.
I remember the Ford Sierra type blobby design of the S240 with hidden anchor (I bought one)
I believe they failed in the transition from a passionate boat builder to a professionally managed corporate entity. Location didn’t help either.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Not sure the location of the Kidderminster factory was a big deal. (Fairline are also a long way from salty water).
The change from private to corporate ownership of Sealine certainly did not end well. The 2008 recession was the final blow.

I expect Sealine used external consultants for hull design in the corporate era (from about 1998) . Not sure how it was done before that.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I expect Sealine used external consultants for hull design in the corporate era (from about 1998) . Not sure how it was done before that.
The S200 was an Olesinski design back in the late 1990’s I don’t know how many others he designed.
If not personally designed I would expect that his philosophy would be “adopted” in further models.

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
The SC 35 was quite marmite when launched. As were the F46 and F42.

There was an SC35 on the south coast actually named ‘Marmite’, which appealed to my sense of humour.

I like the SC35 for its cockpit - very sheltered with just the canopy to roll back to let the fresh air and sunshine in. Also a decent windscreen so no ducking to see through a letterbox, which afflicts some sports cruisers. A very different approach at the time it was first launched but one that has stood the test of time IMHO. .

Hurricane

Visit site
I think it was the design of the SC35 that was the subject of a few MBY articles. I may be wrong - it was a long time ago but I think the MBY articles detailed the design method and logic during the actual design process before one was made. The MBY articles then followed the design to the first prototype. This was at the time when there were very few hard top sports boats to consider.

The F43, of course was very innovative - a full beam aft cabin where the headroom in the cabin was the void created by the cockpit seating. There were other Sealines that followed that concept. I never owned one like that - we had the bigger, more conventional T51.

SC35

Visit site
People came and went.

SC35 was deeply different because they brought in Ocke Mannerfelt to work on the hull design, and a new, younger interior designer to work on the interior. Previous designs were in-house.

Traditionalists criticised the SC35 interior as being "Ikea and sharp corners" at the time, but 15 years down the road it has dated rather better than the glossy cherry wood that was the group design think of the era.

SC35

Visit site
Yes I think SC35s remain very popular. But the same may be said of older Sealines.

If diesel was 50p/litre, my favourite older Sealine would be the S48.
Built like a tank for the American market, huge engines, shaft drive, huge fuel consumption.
See other thread about IPS and rocks, an S48 would stand a chance of removing the rocks.

kashurst

Visit site
I think Tom Murrants boats got a lot of people into boating and the whole Sealine business model, buy small, stay in brand trade up etc etc. And he introduced proper stairs to the fly bridge! After a 1980s every thing square, 1980s Princess 37, a Sealine was heaven.
The build quality wasn't at firsy glance Princess /Fairline et all but it was good enough. So what if it wasn't proper South American Cherry veneer. The sprayed fibre hulls are good and thick - mostly.

I am restoring a 1980s Fairline and the Sealine period equivalent interior is miles better in materials and build quality than the equivalent Fairline and Princess.

Then it got moved on to Gerald???? I can't recall and we had the S34, S37, F37, F42/5 - a star of a boat, F43, T46 and T47 - all great boats. We had a 410 the previous version of the F43 and after 20+ years of boating I should have just kept it. Great boat, did everything well. I believe Tom Murrant designed the hull too.
Then the Americans bought it and gave us had the T50, T60. I bought a T50...........With hind sight a Fairline or equivalent would have been a significantly better decision.

Anyway, Hanse bought out the brand and I hope they do well with it.

Last edited:

nicho

Visit site
If diesel was 50p/litre, my favourite older Sealine would be the S48.
Built like a tank for the American market, huge engines, shaft drive, huge fuel consumption.
See other thread about IPS and rocks, an S48 would stand a chance of removing the rocks.
Yep, had one - built like the proverbial, but its seakeeping was awesome. TAMD75’s, simple straight forward, straight six turbo engines, but yep they loved the taste of diesel!