Sealer for Staylock terminals?

G

What sealer should you use?
I read once not to use any silicon sealer because the acetic acid in it is bad for the s/s wire.
True or false?
Thanks

G

I heard the same. It contains Acetic Acid. Beware that if you seal in any moisture you can get anaerobic conditions in which stainless rusts as fast as mild steel and totally hidden from view! I've left mine as nature intended!

G

But...
A very good book suggested sealing them (the same book that said don't use silicone)
Sail Spar (suppliers of the Stay lock terminals) suggest sealing them (but they say ok to use silicone - I disagree)
Nigel C on this board or Scuttlebutt suggested using anhydrous lanolin (I respect his opinion). I don't know what this stuff is or where to get it however>

G

I once saw lanolin advertised as "Henley's Prop Protector" and bought it since it was the first time I'd ever seen it advertised in UK - YM I think. It's used as a general protective on WindPilot self-steering gear - but lanolin or wool grease seems scarce in the UK now although supposedly readily available in times past! Try a "fell-monger" was one suggestion.... If you do a search on www you will come up with the "chief" modern source "Rolex Anhydrous Lanolin" from Bombay! 5Kg tub for c.£35 much cheaper than the HPP at c.£15 for .5Kg. Be warned - it stinks something awful and sticks to everything you touch and you can't wash it off easily! The Bombay stuff arrives in a poly bottle within a little wooden crate - hate to think what C&E make of it....

G

Whats up with ordinary Tallow?or ordinary candlewax
I have used it for years without any problems.
Kind Regards
Bluebeard.
I also know guys who have used Vaseline.

G

Re: THANKYOU nm

Dont Know the pros and cons of silicon but it is important t6o seal to stop water/salt etc entering fitting so I guess any of the above will inhibit ingress, but dont do nufink!