Seacock issue

pcatterall

Visit site
A 'near do' on Coral Wind! Just checking various connections and noted that the green corrosion on the engine to seacock looked iffy. Poked it with a nail and an immediate sport of water. Cleaned it up and there is a definite hole. I do have a bit of the correct size of copper pipe and some olives.
My biggest spanner ( 1 1/4" ) is too small so I will go into town for a big wrench though I am a bit worried that to much force may loosen the sea cock !?
Will the copper pipe have a flange or an olive?
We are in Spain so getting help is not easy.
I am trying to get my phone to send a pic.

ash2020

Visit site
Be very careful if she's afloat. The last thing you want is the seacock coming adrift. Do you have some wooden bungs in case the worst happens? I had some Blake's seacocks on a previous boat that had dezinctified. The bolts literally crumbled and the top came right off. Ashore luckily.
Good luck.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The copper pipe is a different kettle of fish to the fitting but before applying any force it would be advisable to check the condition of it. There should be an olive on the pipe. It looks like an engine seawater intake and strainer with a newer ball valve below it maybe time to replace the strainer and cut out the copper pipe which is not suited to a seawater environment

bignick

Visit site
I’d get some sandpaper or wire wool and have a go at cleaning the outside of the seacock, because the whole thing looks distinctly pink. If the colour doesn’t change when you take the surface off then the whole thing may be dezincified and could fail.

pcatterall

Visit site
Thanks all. As advised first task was a good clean of the whole unit. It looks better and shows no sign of pinkness.
I do have a very large mole grip ( don't shout!!) Maximum pressure on the jaws and a short extension tube and it became loose!!
I confirm that it was a standard 1" compression fitting so my tube with its olive fits fine. Downside was that the nut was cracked through! Mole wrench or dezincification or both? So we need new nut bringing out. Like many jobs i do these days I know I should start again and do it right but at 82 I guess it will see me out!! Thanks all for the kind advice.

Tranona

Visit site
You might get away with unscrewing the strainer from the ball valve and then use a BSP hosetail with the hose to engine direct. as said the problem is the copper pipe that has dezincified - it should have been a bronze or DZR hosetail. The top of the strainer looks like it is crumbling so removing it will give you a chance to check it over and if necessary replace it with a modern above the waterrline plastic one. You will have no problem getting BSP fittings in Spain. They are standard in this type of application as well as domestic plumbing. However don't buy cheap brass ones from the DIY store. You want bronze or DZR which chandlers will stock.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
You might get away with unscrewing the strainer from the ball valve and then use a BSP hosetail with the hose to engine direct. as said the problem is the copper pipe that has dezincified - it should have been a bronze or DZR hosetail. The top of the strainer looks like it is crumbling so removing it will give you a chance to check it over and if necessary replace it with a modern above the waterrline plastic one. You will have no problem getting BSP fittings in Spain. They are standard in this type of application as well as domestic plumbing. However don't buy cheap brass ones from the DIY store. You want bronze or DZR which chandlers will stock.

How can copper zincify as there should be no zinc in copper pipe

I would remove the bodged hose connection with a proper hose connector which could be bronze ,DZR brass or nylon as its after the seacock