sea state

MrCramp

Visit site
You carry on asking sensible questions whenever you want to, most folk on here will give you a sensible reply. I've been there myself in the past, I quess most of us have, where we are doing something for the first time and we want to know what to expect.

It puts more pressure on if you have inexperienced crew.

Hope you have a good trip.

muckypup

Visit site
Yeah my crew (of one) has never been in a small boat ever before, so there is going to have to be some training done from how to tie up properly, to how to call a mayday if I drop dead out on the river.

Whatever people say, a 37ft boat is still a small boat. I know the Crouch area isn't that rough. Before we moved to the Crouch, we were in Swansea marina in south wales. Now the bristol channel is a rough old bit of water. You can have a week of no wind and there will still be 5ft swells just in swansea bay! Just off mumbles point there are some overfalls. We had water crashing over the roof one day and was a little scary. Would have been more so, but we had an instructor onboard that day, who even brought his son and didn't look particularly bothered about anything.

One rough old fisherman type said one day that "Seamen are made in the bristol channel". I had to assume he was talking about sailing and not something else.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

S.

muckypup

Visit site
Only when SWMBO is not around..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(she gets seasick /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

S.

DRANNIE

Visit site
I suspect it really is a case of going out and having a look. The Blackwater tends to get bumpy in the entrance over the shallow bits. I have been through 1m swell in a 21foot sailing boat with 5hp outboard and it was lumpy but not frightening I suspect unless its blowing a 6 or more you would be fine in a heavy 37ft mobo with a big motor. If your guest freaks out before you reach the spillway then you know its not worth going much further. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

muckypup

Visit site
In the end we never made it. It rained a lot in the morning so we didn't set off until late, and then when we stopped for some food we decided that it was so nice simply sat there doing nothing we didn't bother to go any further /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

S.

sailorman

Visit site
Lumpy out there today 20+ Kts of east wind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
just right for single handing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
How's that own trumpet blowing working out for you? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sounds like you had a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

muckypup

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lumpy out there today 20+ Kts of east wind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
just right for single handing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said you had never been out of the Crouch - surely it can't be all that lumpy in a small river? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last time we were out in that sort of wind we went out to the Swallow Tail green can and back and the mother-in-law didn't even spill her G&T. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mind you it was high tide so we didn't run aground. I hear that you have had trouble with this in the past, so if you need advice on keeping to the deep stuff.. just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

S.

sailorman

Visit site
the last time i woz in the Crouch woz when i bought my Co32 from a less than honest RBYC member /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

i was sailing off Walton /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif