sea state

muckypup

Visit site
Are there any websites around that will show the projected sea state (ie how rough/safe) for the east coast? Was possibly thinking of a short trip up to Bradwell if they have space. The weather doesn't look too bad but wondered how rough it would be offshore.

Steve

sailorman

Visit site
Burnham > Bradwell = Offshore ???? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

muckypup

Visit site
I'm probably not as experienced as most people think they are /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

S.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I think it will be OK Steve. If it hasn't been very windy then it won't be rough. Once you are in past the Colne the Blackwater is never rough unless it's 20knots wind over tide. I'm planning a day out tomorrow - Bradwell to Pyefleet Creek for lunch. On my own. Not expecting too much excitement. Fingers crossed, touch wood. Oh, just remembered that I walked under a ladder today /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will keep an eye open for you.

muckypup

Visit site
Ta. 8knts dropping to 2knts wind by friday evening with slight swell will suit me nicely. My passenger is of unknown seafaring capacity so the more gentle the weather the better.

S.

muckypup

Visit site
I've just checked bradwells web site - 'tis lacking in detail a bit (maybe I should do some marketing while up there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Can I get in/out at any state of the tide? I believe the 15th is springs so friday/saturday should be a fairly big tide. Low water is just after 5pm @ 1m above CD which is when we would have been arriving....

Steve

MoodySabre

Visit site
What does your boat draw? Guessing at 3'6" then you have at least 4 hours either side of high - this week is very neaps so probably 5 hours either side.

Coming in you will see the tidal gauge on the north cardinal post at the start of the creek. The depth will drop 3 feet from that as you pass the second can. Once you are passed that point there is plenty of water.

muckypup

Visit site
mmm... that means making it by 4pm. Could be tricky as I have to drive from Luton to Burnham friday morning, call in at the supermarket for essential provisions and then teach my passenger all the safety & crewing stuff before leaving. I may have to postpone the trip to bradwell until saturday or another weekend.

S.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Yesterday there was 20 knots in the Blackwater and even with wind over tide it was OK - nothing to trouble your big boat. A bit bouncy coming out the Colne straight into the wind but it is forecast to be quiet at the weekend. Standby Gale!

muckypup

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he has a P37 fer Christs sake /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...and? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sailorman

Visit site
he is coming out of the Crouch through the Spitway to Bradwell in a 37 ft Power Boat, he really should have some knowledge about inshore conditions if he drives such a craft shouldnt he /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

muckypup

Visit site
only if he has done so before. If you have never been somewhere before, how can you know what it is like if you don't ask? Or simply go and have a look?

S.