Scuttlebutt is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Trying to clear this up!

Without a doubt your views are valid. I'm new after all and I wasn't intimidated. In fact nicho's wife, mike27's wife and my own wife are (so I'm told and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here.) are now interested in the forum now it has taken a more jovial turn. I think the point you make about let's see how it turns out is a valid one too and may be the best course of events.

Welcome to scuttlebutts (Offering hand) hope you stay and enjoy.

Cheers

Steve

JeremyF

Visit site

Good input Captnemo.

There was a serious side to my original musing about the anonymous folk. I actually suspect the majority of the anon folk stay anon as either they dont like cookies, and/or they dont want a cookie from their work IP address. I know that some work firewalls regard this bulletin board as a chatroom, and hence ban logging in. Kim has looked at the metatags etc to see how the site looks from a service perspective, but I don't believe he has cracked it.

<font color=green>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=green>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Didn't get back to you on this but it wasn't a metatag issue.

Suspect that the firewall problems come from the structure of the scripts used and we just happened to get unlucky in the example discussed. Our forums are based on a common software package and although we've altered quite a bit of the code now suspect the IT manager may have banned a forum based on the same package but perhaps with very different content.

Companies are firewalling all sorts of things now. A report that just came out in the US while I was out there last week suggesting that American employees with access on their desks spend as much as one working day in five browsing the internet for personal purposes. It's enough to make a paranoid IT manager, well, even more paranoid I guess.

In fact I think the fact that the anon to registered ratio quite often runs around 50:50 is encouraging. I often look in on bulletin boards covering other subjects but don't get around to registering and would not not be surprised if we were closer to 25:75 a lot of the time...but I've never seen it get anywhere near that.

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Steve, just a mild suggestion but perhaps everyone can coexist a little easier if every thread is not automatically treated as fair game for humurous asides? That's not a dig, nor a rule; nor have I got any examples. But often I think that threads would go so much better if they started with a clear subject line and more or less stuck to the original point.

Is that a fair idea?

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

Bergman

Visit site
Re: Green name tag suggestion

My sister teaches in a school which is in a difficult area to say the least.

I mean really rough, rear gunners on the ise cream vans etc.

She tells me the invariable excuse from those excluded for bullying is "it was only a joke" or he's no sense of humour"

Less amusing for the victims.

Perhaps some people don't really grow out of it.

Johnjo

Visit site

Steve
Certainly not speaking out of turn when mentioning my wife.
We both thouroughly enjoy the Forums,And take no offence at what we read
in them.As a relative newcomer myself,
What I would find upsetting and intimidating,
Is to be put down by,or put in my place so to speak by some here.
Sue my wife laughs at the priggish remarks made by some,
Defending a womans honour etc.
She finds it all a bit condescending towards women.
She is certainly my equal and that of anyone else on this forum,
Worse thing she say's, Is to be put on a pedestel and worshiped.
My own feeling is,If you don't like it,Don't read it.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.