Scuttlebutt is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
...a place where free debate is welcomed, but to be effective it has to stick within a few not unreasonable guidelines.

These include the need to avoid offensive abuse of members. What comprises offensive abuse is a subjective call, but anything that borders on sexual or racial abuse or that attacks other forum users in an unreasonably aggressive way are good examples.

Please remember that the printed (or in this case) viewed word always appears stronger than the same phrase spoken face-to-face. We don’t have the benefit of your facial inflections. Therefore please take care with the humour.

ybw.com forums will always have anonymous viewers; it is not in our interests to make an exclusive club out of any of our current internet sites. What the anon thread, now sin-binned, has just proven, is that trying to tease people out of the closet is likely to leave you with even more anonymous viewers in future.

If registered users see the sense in having one area of the forums where only registered users can view and post, then I can arrange that if it makes sense to us as well.

Despite its occasional hiccups, Scuttlebutt is a great forum and I intend to ensure it remains so. I probably hate the onward march of political correctness as much as anyone, but there is a balance to be drawn for the sake of everyones’ sanity. If that means sacrificing the odd one or two for the good of the majority then I am short and I can be nasty /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 01/10/2002 14:35 (server time).</FONT></P>

rhinorhino

Visit site
I thought that this forum was abouat sailing.
Yet it seems that any genuine post about sailing quickly degenerates into personal abuse or piont scoring. Can I add my voice to this plea for sanity?

Celena

Visit site
I couldn't agree more; I for one thought it was all about the exchange of information and views, informed comment etc. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums better suited to some contributors (IMHO)

G

Ditto.

Some of the postings have more of a flavour of "look how funny and sarcastic I can be".

Funny's good, but I would have thought on the basis of making the posting more interesting.

Geoff

G

Kim,
Your reminder is timely, this is the only way that the board will not regress to the way it was before close down and re-launch. Debate and exchanges can still be fierce but still showing respect for others and by definition without it getting personal.

thanks

Pete

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
My pet hate is when 2 posters start a one-to-one on a thread - Poster 1 makes (usually inane) comment - Poster 2 replies (in similar vein) - poster 1 ... Poster 2 ... Ad infinitum.

If you want to have a one-to-one, either PM or e-mail each other, and let the rest of us glean some (hopefully usuful) information.

IMHO that is, others may differ.

Jim

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I've always rather regarded Shufflebutt as the place for idle chat, conjecture, funny stories, criticism or praise of boats or places, etc.

PBO reader to reader is the place to go if you want factual info - what size grommet does a Volvo throttle cable need - sort of thing.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Very well said Kim,

We have been cruising for two months now and I log on whenever I find a cafe.
I have been trying to work out if I have changed or the forum has. Some of it does now seem extremely childish, sarcastic and ocassionally downright nasty. I´m sure the wit was funnier a few months ago, and the mix of boat/wit a better balance. Perhaps an inane chatroom "sarcasticbutt" for those boring afternoons at work would help. Having said that , it is a good place to come. Pre-cruise, we gained some valuable knowledge, made a few friends and laughed out loud here.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Okay, call for calm

Following a frantic few hours of keeping some email company or another in business:

a) steve101 is unbanned. He does indeed have four dogs, three of them femail, all quadrupeds. We've had a sharp exchange of views in which I agreed to be sorry for thinking he had used the term 'bitch' in an inappropriate context and he has agreed to cool the more enthusiastic of his comments and to resist the future temptation to start making lists of his 'enemies'.

b) for whatever reason last night's little contretemp lost us/you the ongoing interest of regular user The_Fruitbat. Any supposed desire to broaden the church by hacking off in different directions clearly isn't too useful if it cheeses off the ones already here so my earlier appeal for a modicum of reason in the midst of all of the Scuttlebutting would be much appreciated by me and, I suspect, by the vast majority of registered users and unregistered viewers.

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

ghostwriter

Visit site
sin-binned ?

interestingly enough , if you enter the name steve101 in the search , you can still get to the "anon" thread in which all message headers are still on view , when clicking them , they all give an error (that's the sin-bit probably) EXCEPT for one of a certain Steve 101 and a reply to that. It comes as pretty strange that the sinner (I guess that from the context here) is viewable , and the others are binned. sounds like reversed sin-binning , which -as a concept on its own- sounds very interesting. you might have a winner there Kim , pay attention (invoice for consulting fee to follow)

on the subject of anon (can see in another mail from JeremyF what his definition is) : consider myself to be such a person , the name was chosen that way...and that is my bloody good right. there is no us and them in the internet , it's open or it's closed

claymore

Visit site
Well thats all well and good

But it really is high time we got to the bottom of whether or not it's going to be hot next summer
Do I come here often?

regards
Claymore

JeremyF

Visit site
Prince Charles will be onto you soon, Kim!

Hmm,

What happened to derail the Anon posting then. I've been out all day, and I find its been binned. Can't comment about where the posting led, but last night it started as a bit of fun, yes, F U N, pondering the mysteries of the Anonymous folk, who like the poor, are always with us.

Scuttlebutt should have archane and slightly off-the-wall threads, as well as the more serious ones. As Ken says, advice about grommets is the territory of PBO, Livaboards have their own forum, ditto wood maintainers and varnishers. Scuttlebutt should be fun, provocative etc. The forum has got much busier in the last month, thanks to the provocative contributions from Steve101, the Ben/Bav/Jen vs classics, everyone vs. Bav.

Lighten up, for goodness sake, otherwise I'll set HRH Prince Charles onto you with letters about PC behaviour!

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>

whisper

Visit site
Thanks Kim for trying to bring some sanity to this board.
It was indeed declining rapidly due to the puerile and boorish behaviour of a few members. Unfortunately, like most infants, they don't know when to stop because they are deluded by their own self-importance.
This board is usually funny, interesting and god forbid even enlightening. Please continue to jettison the crew when the vessel becomes unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.