Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

awol

Visit site
Fair enough... I just looked at Scot Gov Covid pages and at a quick glance, I can not find any historical data for testing numbers., only the latest daily number of tests carried out. So if you have been keeping an eye on that number over time, then you are better informed than I.
Obviously, it's important to put positive test numbers in the context of how many corresponding total tests have been carried out, yet it's a context that is rarely discussed by politicians or the media.
Have a look at the "Travelling Tabby" link I gave above for test data from the Celtic Nations. England testing history is a bit of a mystery.

CapPugwash

Visit site
EXCITED : I phoned the office and organised my launch, they're not taking exact bookings but are taking names for launch around the 26th of April. They believe that is the most likely date that we'll be allowed out.

So we are now happily planning for then and are absolutely going to ignore all the hot air from Holyrood, at least until that week. Fingers firmly in my ears. ?

awol

Visit site
Well I think i am going to book for the 27th of April then ignore Holyrood until closer to the time. We need something to look forward to.
I'm happy for you that your boat is ready to launch. I was lifted just before the lockdown returned and didn't get round to much more than swapping my stern gland which leaves me with engine realignment, always a fun task and easiest done with 2 people; antifouling and mast fettling to do and I'm sure there's more. I've bet on 26th April as the day I can restart work and launch a week later. Must check if Neil is fettling moorings yet.

CapPugwash

Visit site
I'm happy for you that your boat is ready to launch. I was lifted just before the lockdown returned and didn't get round to much more than swapping my stern gland which leaves me with engine realignment, always a fun task and easiest done with 2 people; antifouling and mast fettling to do and I'm sure there's more. I've bet on 26th April as the day I can restart work and launch a week later. Must check if Neil is fettling moorings yet.

Oh i'm not ready, but I am planning to deal with most things once afloat. That said, thanks to my shiny nice coppercoat, there's very little to do underneath, half a day max. Just need to make sure the engine's all good first, but that falls under essential maintenance I believe.

D

Deleted member 36384

Oh i'm not ready, but I am planning to deal with most things once afloat. That said, thanks to my shiny nice coppercoat, there's very little to do underneath, half a day max. Just need to make sure the engine's all good first, but that falls under essential maintenance I believe.

It doesn’t. Fixing the tarp over boat to stop water ingress, or checking the shoring, props after a gale would. Servicing your engine when out the water is not critical. The statements from the RYA and BMA make the intent clear of the current rule. Anyway, hope it works out, just be sure of the rules for your own benefit.

D

Deleted member 36384

Hairdressers and garden centres will be allowed to reopen in Scotland from 5 April, days after the "stay at home" lockdown order will be lifted.
People will still have to stay inside their own local authority areas until 26 April, when the travel ban will be lifted within Scotland.
That date will also see all shops, gyms and tourist accommodation reopen, as well as some indoor hospitality.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said that "brighter days are ahead of us".

14:39
BREAKINGTravel restrictions eased on 26 April
On 26 April, parts of Scotland in level 4 are expected to move to level 3.
And restrictions on journeys within mainland Scotland are expected to be lifted entirely.
It is hoped restrictions on journeys between Scotland and other parts of the UK can also be lifted, if not on 26 April, then as soon as possible thereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
All I have gleaned from today's words from Nick are:

2nd April "stay at home" order ends, so no need to be inventive with why you are travelling to the boat.

5th April you can go and get a haircut and some non essential shops opened.

26th April travel restrictions within Scotland lifted completely and it is "hoped" also with other parts of the UK

Also on 26th April Cafe's and restaurants to open for outdoor service for groups up to 6 from 3 households.

Unless specifically mentioned elsewhere I will take that as 6 people from 3 households can go and meet together to launch our boat, which will probably distance you mre than sitting eating your outdoor meal.

dunedin

Visit site
26th April travel restrictions within Scotland lifted completely and it is "hoped" also with other parts of the UK

So slightly better than previous threats, but still no explanation as to why Scots are prevented from travelling for nearly a month after the rest of the UK. What science says crossing a local authority boundary causes more danger in Pictland than elsewhere?
Meanwhile the roads get busier and busier which suggests that the observance getting is rather sporadic.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So slightly better than previous threats, but still no explanation as to why Scots are prevented from travelling for nearly a month after the rest of the UK. What science says crossing a local authority boundary causes more danger in Pictland than elsewhere?
Meanwhile the roads get busier and busier which suggests that the observance getting is rather sporadic.
I think it's because the variation in cases here is so pronounced. Galloway has hardly any but Glasgow is crawling with them. Cutting down on travel avoids spreading COVID back into areas from which it has been chased. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

CapPugwash

Visit site
I think it's because the variation in cases here is so pronounced. Galloway has hardly any but Glasgow is crawling with them. Cutting down on travel avoids spreading COVID back into areas from which it has been chased. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

The case numbers are tiny everywhere, just some places are tinier than others.

Last edited:

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
Is that not what the levels system was devised for, I need to travel for work and have noticed the roads (and ferries) are getting much busier.

awol

Visit site
I want to go sailing; I want to meet people; I want, I want, I want ............... but ..... If I consider with the advantage of hindsight what was done wrong last year then stopping people going to Covid sources like ski chalets, Spain, Weegieland and congregating at events like Cheltenham, "Eat out to help out", and I'm sure there's more may have allowed test'n'trace* to work. I think Nicola, Jason et al are doing what they believe is best and opening softly while monitoring the effects but there is a danger that all those, who obviously know better, screw it up by going early. My boat is safe. There is a fair amount of work to do but it is not essential to the safety of boat or me. So, I am waiting and champing at the bit. 26th April is 40 days and nights away and if that bearded Jewish guy was able to cope with that in the wilderness, I'm sure I can manage too.

*The Scottish version using existing methodologies not the private enterprise cash cow of England

Other threads that may be of interest