Scilly Isles - good time to plan visit for next year?

Marceline

Visit site
Hi - we're hoping to do our first long distance cruise next year (rather than day sailing/weekends etc) and we're thinking about sailing down from North Wales to the Scilly Isles

Just wondering what are the better times of year weather wise to try and plan for this/book time off work etc ?

Hoping to book a couple of weeks off to get there and back and if weather's not great then I've got some back up ideas more locally etc, and if we're late getting back that's not too much off a prob as I can work remotely so if we're in a harbour(s) on return journey for a few weeks that's our fallback

We're much happier when places are quieter so doesn't have to be mid summer etc (if we even have a summer next year)

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
That seems to me a long way to expect to get there, enjoy, and get back in just a fortnight in 'holiday' mode, especially given that you are quite likely to find at least a few days when the weather doesn't favour progress.

More doable if you were planning to do the trips there and back direct in 'delivery passage' mode, but that would be a very particular sort of 'holiday' not to everyone's taste..

I suspect you'll likely be needing one or other of your back-up plans, though I don't know what sort of boat you have.

Marceline

Visit site
thank you for the replies :)

By 'delivery passage' mode is that meaning aiming to do long overnight passages on a watch rotation (as that's what we were hoping to do) and engine on if needed?

Appreciate I'm likely vastly underestimating things here :)

Blue Seas

Visit site
It is eminently doable subject to a weather window. Dale (Milford Haven) is a good setting off point for crossing to the Scillies as you can get the overnight bit in early (especially in June) and then almost guarantee a daytime arrival at the Islands (essential for a first time).
Out of Anglesey to say Bardsey Island area in a day sail, anchor and sleep, same again down to say Fishguard or better still Solva, then Dale (with a fuel up by going upriver to the marina if necessary).
Done it many times but bear in mind that in extremis your port of refuge may have to be Penzance or Falmouth rather than anywhere in the Bristol Channel.
Oh, and I would also practice the name before arrival - 'Isles of Scilly' is fine as is 'The Scillies' - but definitely not 'The Sc**** Isles' ! :)

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Start with your passage plans, factoring in bad weather forecast delays and work the rest out from there.
In my experience, bad weather comes in three or five day chunk's. Nowadays with decent three day forecasts, you should be prepared to cut your holiday short, up sticks and do a runner.

Marceline

Visit site
all noted and really appreciated - thanks so much for the advice and replies :)

I'll see if it's possible to ask for a third week as well when I check with Work about booking the time off

Marceline

Visit site
It is eminently doable subject to a weather window. Dale (Milford Haven) is a good setting off point for crossing to the Scillies as you can get the overnight bit in early (especially in June) and then almost guarantee a daytime arrival at the Islands (essential for a first time).
Out of Anglesey to say Bardsey Island area in a day sail, anchor and sleep, same again down to say Fishguard or better still Solva, then Dale (with a fuel up by going upriver to the marina if necessary).
Done it many times but bear in mind that in extremis your port of refuge may have to be Penzance or Falmouth rather than anywhere in the Bristol Channel.
Oh, and I would also practice the name before arrival - 'Isles of Scilly' is fine as is 'The Scillies' - but definitely not 'The Sc**** Isles' ! :)
these suggestions are really helpful - thanks ever so much

Skylark

Visit site
That seems to me a long way to expect to get there, enjoy, and get back in just a fortnight in 'holiday' mode, especially given that you are quite likely to find at least a few days when the weather doesn't favour progress.

More doable if you were planning to do the trips there and back direct in 'delivery passage' mode, but that would be a very particular sort of 'holiday' not to everyone's taste..

I suspect you'll likely be needing one or other of your back-up plans, though I don't know what sort of boat you have.
This cautionary note contains some wise words. Assume 1 fair tide, 6 hours, will give a roughly 10 mile drift, add 6 hours of boat cruising speed and set that as your absolute max, enjoyable, daily distance between ports/stops.

Knowing you two as I do, North Wales to IoS is a big step. Doable but not to be under estimated. Careful planning required. Lot's of help and encouragement to be had from within the forum.

Blue Seas

Visit site
Would forumites consider Padstow a port of refuge for such a trip - coming from the North, it avoids the need to round lands end to seek shelter?

And it's very sheltered and rather pleasant to boot.
I always have Padstow harbour details listed on my passage plan just in case (why not!).
But you should be able to find a decent enough weather window for the short passage across from S Wales without needing Padstow. The Port of Refuge that I was referring to was more in case of necessary evacuation from the IOS due to a weather change whilst staying there - in which case anything from the west that would make IOS untenable would probably make the Doombar at the entry to Padstow look similarly untenable - all depends on the exact conditions at the time of course.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I always have Padstow harbour details listed on my passage plan just in case (why not!).
But you should be able to find a decent enough weather window for the short passage across from S Wales without needing Padstow. The Port of Refuge that I was referring to was more in case of necessary evacuation from the IOS due to a weather change whilst staying there - in which case anything from the west that would make IOS untenable would probably make the Doombar at the entry to Padstow look similarly untenable - all depends on the exact conditions at the time of course.
Good point.

We found the Doombar to be one of the less "doomy" on our trip, but I bet it can really fire up when riled.

It would be rather annoying to end up on the south coast and then have to plan passage back north in a tight window.

I'm not very experienced in the IOS. How bad does it have to get for there to be no tenable, safe location and how often does that happen in the season? There did seem to be reasonably good locations in lively conditions from all directions.

bergie

lille-oe.de
There did seem to be reasonably good locations in lively conditions from all directions.
We spent a week there in the beginning of August. A big problem is how full the good anchorages get when there's a blow coming. We ended up spending the whole time in St. Helen's Pool, and then visiting various islands with the (sailing) dinghy.
Holding was good, but it did get quite rolly on high tide.
Still better than the Tresco moorings, some of which were located right on overfalls on certain conditions. The boaters that paid for those looked quite miserable!

When some 40kt winds appeared in the forecast we bolted off to A Coruña instead.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Good point.

We found the Doombar to be one of the less "doomy" on our trip, but I bet it can really fire up when riled.

It would be rather annoying to end up on the south coast and then have to plan passage back north in a tight window.

I'm not very experienced in the IOS. How bad does it have to get for there to be no tenable, safe location and how often does that happen in the season? There did seem to be reasonably good locations in lively conditions from all directions.
I was there during the "Great Storm" of 87 diving not sailing, there were no moorings then and what yachts were in St Marys pool went alongside but two were driven onto the beach. You could see the spray above Bryher as the waves pounded the Island. They say you can always find somewhere sheltered but that night it would have been a challenge.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I was there during the "Great Storm" of 87 diving not sailing, there were no moorings then and what yachts were in St Marys pool went alongside but two were driven onto the beach. You could see the spray above Bryher as the waves pounded the Island. They say you can always find somewhere sheltered but that night it would have been a challenge.
We met a cat owner who had just gone as high up as possible on Green Bay beach, Bryher, put out 5 anchors and sat through anything. Mind, he was only afloat about 10 minutes per HW!

Marceline

Visit site
This cautionary note contains some wise words. Assume 1 fair tide, 6 hours, will give a roughly 10 mile drift, add 6 hours of boat cruising speed and set that as your absolute max, enjoyable, daily distance between ports/stops.

Knowing you two as I do, North Wales to IoS is a big step. Doable but not to be under estimated. Careful planning required. Lot's of help and encouragement to be had from within the forum.
Thanks ever so much Skylark + really helpful thanks(y)