Schengen shuffle 2022

dustynet

Visit site
Hi,
Just stubbled across the following blog post from a couple of years back.

Doing the Schengen Shuffle – Can Do Latitude

What was most interesting about this post was the diagram attached which provides a little visual clarity of differences between EU, eurozone and EEA etc which, may or may not require a minor update for 2022, but definitely requires an update for people who like me haven't memorised these countries flags.

It looks like I'm having an issue attaching the image so I'll do it on the next post.

Attachments

• 640px-Supranational_European_Bodies-en.svg_.png
    640px-Supranational_European_Bodies-en.svg_.png
    89 KB · Views: 57

SailingDog

Visit site
Thanks for posting the diagram, it doesn't blow up very clearly but gives clues where to look further.

The challenges remain for UK potential stop start cruisers, the 90 day limit and the Vat status. For example plan 1 was over to France journeying towards the Med, no time limits other than family commitments along with weather considerations and other interests outside of boating.

Anyone thought up a legal, minimum hassle, reasonably affordable way to do the above.

syvictoria

Visit site
Thanks for posting the diagram, it doesn't blow up very clearly but gives clues where to look further.

The challenges remain for UK potential stop start cruisers, the 90 day limit and the Vat status. For example plan 1 was over to France journeying towards the Med, no time limits other than family commitments along with weather considerations and other interests outside of boating.

Anyone thought up a legal, minimum hassle, reasonably affordable way to do the above.

This was posted in another thread (re 90/180) a few days ago and may provide a solution for an extended stay in France:

Extended Euro-tour over 90 days in 180

Poignard

Visit site
Hi,
Just stubbled across the following blog post from a couple of years back.

Doing the Schengen Shuffle – Can Do Latitude

What was most interesting about this post was the diagram attached which provides a little visual clarity of differences between EU, eurozone and EEA etc which, may or may not require a minor update for 2022, but definitely requires an update for people who like me haven't memorised these countries flags.

It looks like I'm having an issue attaching the image so I'll do it on the next post.
Regardless of the politcal implications, it is a beautiful and effective diagram; like the famous London Tube map, almost a work of art. I wonder who drew it.

syvictoria

Visit site
For anyone who's interested, other than the obvious change in the UK's position on the diagram, the only other difference between old and new appears to be the removal of the Kazakhstan flag (pale blue and yellow) which was previously an outlier on the right hand side of the diagram.

syvictoria

Visit site
Surely your own boat would be your accomodation?

Yes, that's what the article I linked to above was saying. They had a camper van and had pre-booked campsites for their tour. Obviously pre-booking wouldn't always be possible/convenient, but many will have made some sort of arrangements/have a berth contract.

st599

Visit site
Surely your own boat would be your accomodation?

Nope, France has 2 levels of required funds. If you have pre-booked hotel accommodation, you require 60 Euros per person per day for the duration of your stay. If you do not have pre-booked hotel accommodation, you require 120 Euros per day. That's about 22k Euros cleared funds for 6 months stay if going the visa route. (obviously 1/2 that if you can only be there for 3 months on a Schengen visa waiver)

Be careful about showing how you have the funds too, we're now very limited as to what we can do for employment in the EU. The rules are different for each country.

(France is an example - the exact amounts required are different for each EU member)

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
According to this page (about Schengen visas):
Means of Subsistence - How much money do you need for a Schengen Visa
the daily amount required for France can be further reduced: "in case the applicant proofs cheaper forms of accommodation the amount decreases to 32.25€/ day." This equates to £5,805 for a single person for 180 days.

For entry to Schengen (visa waived anyway), I believe that a credit card with adequate available credit limit can be used as proof of means of subsistence. I don't know if this is perhaps acceptable for a French VLS-T long stay visa too?

dgadee

Visit site
I It is part of the UK, which is in the Common Travel Area. The other member of the CTA is the Republic of Ireland.

NI is also part EU for some elements. It seems to defy the standard memberships. Perhaps have it appear across a Venn boundary?

billskip

Visit site
According to this page (about Schengen visas):
Means of Subsistence - How much money do you need for a Schengen Visa
the daily amount required for France can be further reduced: "in case the applicant proofs cheaper forms of accommodation the amount decreases to 32.25€/ day." This equates to £5,805 for a single person for 180 days.

For entry to Schengen (visa waived anyway), I believe that a credit card with adequate available credit limit can be used as proof of means of subsistence. I don't know if this is perhaps acceptable for a French VLS-T long stay visa too?
So all these people sitting in france waiting for their rubber boats are quiet well off if they are only allowed in france if they have upwards of 5 grand.