Satisfactory, or preying on yotties?

jamie N

Visit site
These people believe that they're offering a fair and reasonable price for this.
1710853563571.png
Of course I didn't buy this, I went to another company who were charging £18.70, which is OK, but then they tried to sting me with with £19 p&p FFS!
Ended up paying £18+£5.95 to get it delivered.
On a positive note, it's good to narrow down the companies that I'll deal with.

Last edited:

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
These people believe that they're offering a fair and reasonable price for this.
View attachment 174166
Of course I didn't buy this, I went to another company who were charging £18.70, which is OK, but then they tried to sting me with with £19 p&p FFS!
Ended up paying £18+£5.95 to get it delivered.
On a positive note, it's good to narrow down the companies that I'll deal with.
If you spend £250 with that company, they offer free shipping. Three of those teeny weeny tiller pins would qualify…

johnalison

Visit site
When I fitted one, in 1988, it didn’t have a thread, just a plain cylinder. I drilled a hole in the tiller to make a snug fit and glued it in place. This looked neat to me and showed no signs of movement after many years.

jamie N

Visit site
Indeed I was going to grind it out from a bolt myself, but just this once I denied myself and thought that I'd 'do it properly'. It then became a mission to 'buy' one at a reasonable cost.
The bracket on the tiller was going to be a snip at £40.95 from Raymarine, but I made a better one in just a few minutes out of stainless, so I'm happy enough. The mounting socket was offered by Raymarine at £39.95. Again I've made a mounting pad containing a 'hole', which was a 10 minute job.
I despair.
1710866615077.png1710866472178.png

Irish Rover

Visit site
I dont think it is satisfactory, or that it is preying on Yachties.

It is a Pisstake, pure and simple.
If you open the website they have an online chat. I wrote on it "There's a lad on the Internet says you're taking the piss". A guy called Dave answered but then it got a phone call so couldn't continue :ROFLMAO:

jamie N

Visit site
I made that brass socket, for the "boat" end of the setup myself on my lathe.
I made it up from some aluminium taken from the keel of a well known Sonata, owned by ex-Commodore James! An ally-wood-ally wood sandwich pad, to be epoxyed to the deck, rather than drilling another hole in the cockpit.

jamie N

Visit site
Whilst that pin on its own is £83, buy the 3" tiller bracket with the pin on same website and its only £53 ?..
No, the other items were from Raymarines own web site. I didn't return to the original site, as it would've driven me to drink. (hic)....

Aja

Visit site
I made it up from some aluminium taken from the keel of a well known Sonata, owned by ex-Commodore James! An ally-wood-ally wood sandwich pad, to be epoxyed to the deck, rather than drilling another hole in the cockpit.
🙄 an aluminium keel?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Loads of boat things like this means that a lathe soon pays for itself. My ambassador lookalike cost me £70 compared to a price which i understand is now pushing £600. Takes about 2.5 days tp make. The anodes are purchased as a standard & I machine them myself. That saves another £ 25-00 each. I have made a number of rope cutters for friends.
Bow roller cost a couple of squids. New furler screw 50p instead of £20-00.
That does not include all the other bits that I make. I would be lost without my lathe & mill