Sardinia

tertim

Visit site
I would like to stop off in southern Sardinia on my way from Corfu to Barcelona, I wiil be leaving Corfu about 2 August, Does anyone have any recommendations for ports to visit for fuel and a few beers.

tertim

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Dont know about southern sardinia, but I'm going to Alghero, which is a nice place. Charles Reed knows the area, try a PM.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I have heard nothing but good about Alghero, I'll be there, end of august, to check everything is OK for the winter, I've booked in with Federico, at the yard there, for the winter. I'm looking forward to it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Give Frederico my regards. We have decided to move on this year and will winter in Rome. If you need directions to find him let me know.
Frederico tells me that your brother is going as well this winter with an equally huge boat (or did something get lost in the translation?)

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Yes, my brother is going to winter there with him, it'll be the first time we've been in the same port for many years, I'm looking forward to it. He's on his way down from the west coast of Scotland now, in Ireland at the moment. Yes, his boat is 46 feet, an old watson lifeboat, converted to a gaff yawl, which he has already sailed around the world, he's maybe heading that way again next year, I may well join him. I'm glad Federico mentioned it, confirms we are expected!! By the way, does he have lazy lines are do we anchor?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Thats fine David, We don't mind a bit of chop, both our boats are heavy, mine 48 tons and Warrens' 22. Tied together we should make a fairly imovable object! Even in Barcelona, when the fishing fleet came in, we rolled around, a lot! Seemed the swell got trapped and reflected off all the quays, rolling down the pontoons etc. Are we talking swell here or just a chop?

<hr width=100% size=1>

willtaylor

Visit site
Carloforte is a really interesting and pleasant place for a stopover en route. A huge protected former tunny fleet harbour offers anchorage and there was a small marina with pontoons and the possibility of laying alongside elsewhere. Long term facilities were limited when I was there(some years ago) but there were developments taking place. There was also a new marina was a-building nearby, but I cannot remember its name.

Will Taylor

<hr width=100% size=1>

willtaylor

Visit site
southern Sardinia

Carloforte is a really interesting and pleasant place for a stopover en route. A huge protected former tunny fleet harbour offers anchorage and there was a small marina with pontoons and the possibility of laying alongside elsewhere. Long term facilities were limited when I was there(some years ago) but there were developments taking place. There was also a new marina was a-building nearby, but I cannot remember its name.

Will Taylor

<hr width=100% size=1>

Altair

Visit site
I reluctantly flew back to Blackpool from Alghero yesterday, having sailed from Lancs to Sardinia over the past 4 months. My boat is wintering ashore in Cagliari at the Marina del Sole. Of all the marinas visited on the way down this is by far the friendliest and one of the cheapest, run by Massimo Montis and his father; tel. no. 339.81.98.458. Essential bars/restaurants, 3 Arches, fredericoes and Quatro Mores. Lovely old city.
Carloforte on I. St. Pietro is worth a visit, use Marina Sifreda and not the newer one (bit of a rip-off). Gulf of Oristano is interesting with lovely anchorage at the old Punic city of Thorros. Bosa Marina is a lovely anchorage with small marina; 1970's style seaside resort but a 3km dinghy ride upriver to Bosa town is a must. Fabulous unspoiled town built around a citadel.
Alghero is lovely town but very touristy. Porto Conte is large bay with wonderful anchorages and small marina. I am now totally sold on Sardinia. Enjoy it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I'm in Alghero now and don't find it too touristy, mainly italian tourists and more cultured brits, not the norm, not one irish or english or german or any other bar but italian, so far as I've found anyway, no loud clubs or discos, nor even a bar showing english football, except one who can be bribed!! Nor cider Boo Hoo! Maybe depends on what your used to, but going back to blackpool??? Anyway, isn't it a bit of a drag to get to Cagliari from Alghero? The marina here is cheap, very friendly and safe, the locals very friendly. Eating out is a little expensive by spanish prices, but I haven't looked around too much yet, no doubt there will be cheap places. In short I like it, hoping to get around with a car during win ter, to see the rest of the interior.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MapisM

Visit site
Welcome to Italy, in the first place.
I guess that the road to Cagliari which you mention is through Bosa.
Not quick for sure, but the seaview is worth the hassle, isn't it?
For a different landscape, I'd suggest the road to Villanova, maybe renting a good byke. I bet you'll appreciate that.
And for eating, in the center of Alghero, try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.altuguri.it/eng/index.htm> Benito</A>.
I knew quite some places around there, most of them cheaper, but this is the one which I don't forget.
How long are you staying there?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! Be here all winter, as will my brother, with of course trips to work! I already have a 125 yamaha, which I tear around on, but the triumph will be here eventually. I will try benito and I will find cheaper places, the old town is of course expensive, but I donbt mind really, I like to indulge myself occasionally. But I'm a pretty good cook myself, so I wont starve, the ingredients are cheap enough and the wines fine! When I hire a car sometime, to see a bit more opf the island, I'll pop over to Lidl supermarket, which is about 50 miles away and stock up with cheap goodies, like wine etc. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've found. But I already like the place and have always liked italy! If you are around, come and say hello!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MapisM

Visit site
Thanks to you for the invitation.
I'd really like to return to Alghero, I've not been there for some years now.
And would be curious to have a look at your fine boat, I must admit...
Let's see, spending some days in sardinia during wintertime is always appealing, for those who live and work in the foggy northern Italy!... I will PM you, if and when I will be able to arrange that.
BTW, I can't believe that you have to travel that far from Alghero to reach a decent supermarket.
Actually, I can't remind of any big/cheap supermarket in Alghero, but for example I'm pretty sure that in Sassari (some 25 miles NE of Alghero), which is an absolutely non-touristic city, you would have a good choice of any goods - not only food - at "inland" prices.
Have a good time there!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
THere is a good supermarket in Alghero, an Iperstanda, but Lidls'is a really cheapie one for stocking up with tinned and bottled stuff, but I've seen sassari on the map, looks a big place and will no doubt be cheaper, within motorbike/saddlebag range aswell. PM me sometime.

<hr width=100% size=1>