Salcombe - visit or avoid ?

James_Calvert

Visit site
Compared to the cost of waterside property thereabouts (not that I could afford it), a night's mooring is a bargain. But as others have said, you've got to appreciate it to realise its value. Maybe not just for an overnight, but good for a longer stay.
We've got a mooring at the top of the Bag. Splendid outlook. There's an anchorage just opposite. You can explore by dinghy up to Frogmore, or to Kingsbridge - the local market town, or to Southpool.
The Bag itself is well sheltered and is the base for the Island Cruising Club - now mainly a dinghy/keelboat training centre run from a converted Mersey ferry, the Egremont. It also holds the visitors pontoons which are indeed well rafted up in high summer and in poor weather. Harbour launches run on demand between there and the town, although it's obviously much cheaper to send at least some of the crew by dinghy.
Opposite the town, on the East Portlemouth side, there is a nearly continous series of excellent sandy beaches all the way out to the Bar. You can anchor off some of these (Fisherman's, Small's and Sunny cove) There's also Mill Bay on that side, and a couple of larger bays on the west side (North Sands and South Sands) which are sandy but shallow shelving and not so good for dinghy landing. Excellent cliff top walks either side of the entrance. Very comfortable Yacht Club open to visitors. I think that's enough!

NPMR

Visit site
We've been a few times and can't say it was wonderful.

One time we arrived, decided to water ship before looking for a mooring and, literally, as were in the process of arriving at the pontoon, (manouvering, crew hanging on with ropes in hand etc) were accosted for fees! Which actually, we felt were too much.

We usually go to The Bag for a bit of peace but the locals all have dorys and make no attempt to cut their wash as they pass (I guess it's a long way from where they started from) so that one is constantly being thrown about. So it does become uncomfortable.

Food shops are useless and if you are there for more than a day and need proper supplies, the walk to the Spar is MILES!

And it is crowded pretty well all the time but especially in high season and if you haven't got a fair bit of dosh, you're in the wrong place!

It is pretty but we prefer to go on by, to Dartmouth, where we can find a reasonable price mooring and a nicer town.

But then our favourite is Fowey and The Yealm, which others don't care for. So perhaps its always just a personal thing!

BlueChip

Visit site
We have been discussing Salcombe in another topic.

Is Salcombe now irredeemably spoiled for visiting yachtsmen?

What is your opion?

We always anchor at the top of the bag, its magical in the evenings and very quiet,much cheaper than on a buoy too. Bit of a dinghy ride down to the town though and best taken with the tide.
Fantastic cliff walks both sides of the estuary, East Portlemouth round to Prawle and back along the lanes is our favourite walk. We used to stop at Gara Rock Hotel for a drink but the've knocked it down now.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Like others. we've avoided Salcombe for years, dewspite its surface charm - my wife hates it. Unlike Andy, we have experienced rude boat boys and we have been told there are no moorings for us (this was in pre-cat days).

However, last year we decided to give the place one more chance. Yet again we had a run in with the guys in the boats who directed us to quite unsuitable moorings and then said 'well that's it - can't help'. What they did then has redeemed Salcombe in our eyes. One said - you can go right on through and anchor above all the moorings.

Why I've never done this before I can't imagine but we followed his advice, dropped the hook half a mile up Frogmore Creek and enjoyed a night almost totally alone in perfect shelter with the cry of owls in the trees and curlews on the shore. We went back there again a month later giving a metaphorical two fingers to the town as we passed and once again has an idyllic night.

Salcombe is back on the itinerary.

Seajet

Visit site
The comments re. crowding and high prices at Salcombe are justified, but to an extent you get what you pay for.

Do beware though that if anchoring off the Eastern side beach by the moorings, opposite to the town, a very nasty strong tidal eddy swirls down the beach; quite enough to ******* up well set anchors; and yes, I was a victim of this a long time ago, please don't underestimate it !

Tim Lee

Visit site
Shame about the negative comments really - there is a reason it is so busy.

It provides a great contrast to many quieter anchorages and moorings. My kids love all the activity and being able to hop off onto fantastic beaches to play with other kids. People watching is fantastic and many an entertaing afternoon can be had watching amusing antics.

When you've had enough, move on. But why be so critical of other people and something that brings them great pleasure. There is huge contrast in sailing, and I for one am always interested in variety. Salcombe is certainly unique.

The harbour staff work pretty hard and have to deal with many inexperienced water users yet in my opnion always remain friendly and helpful.

Visit site
But why be so critical of other people and something that brings them great pleasure.

I'm tempted to ask why be so critical of people who are merely expressing their views in answer to the opening post?.......but I'm far too gentlemanly to make such a negative comment :p

I haven't found the harbour staff to be as you describe. I've always found them to be vultures, circling around and ready to pounce the moment you arrive. In most places they will help you get in, leave you to sort yourself out, then return to get the money. Nowhere else have I experienced harbour staff lurking like bailiffs who demand their money and won't go until it's in their hands. I've even had one demanding money before I got onto the mooring!

In my book Salcombe is OK for the occasional single night, but no more.

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
Salcombe is unique!

I think most people have a love hate relationship with the place, we do.

She loves; shops, people watching, anchoring above the bag, bird watching, walks, beaches, cutting the harbour 'boat boys' down to size.
She hates; overcrowding in summer, rafted on buoys, long dinghy ride to town, hoorays.

I love; people watching, anchoring above the bag, bird watching, walks, beaches, watching her cutting the harbour 'boat boys' down to size!
I hate; overcrowding in summer, rafted on buoys, long dinghy ride to town, hoorays, 'chelsea by sea', SHOPS.

Keep your sense of humour and Salcombe is fine. It's busy for a reason, its booootiful!

jamesjermain

Visit site
The comments re. crowding and high prices at Salcombe are justified, but to an extent you get what you pay for.

Do beware though that if anchoring off the Eastern side beach by the moorings, opposite to the town, a very nasty strong tidal eddy swirls down the beach; quite enough to ******* up well set anchors; and yes, I was a victim of this a long time ago, please don't underestimate it !

I would echo that about anchoring off the beech. Also the holding is poor and teh bank drops off very steeply from the inshore shelf. I've never felt truly secure there.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I would echo that about anchoring off the beech. Also the holding is poor and teh bank drops off very steeply from the inshore shelf. I've never felt truly secure there.
I agree. The only time I have anchored there is when I have caught the tide Eastwards from Plymouth and have gone into Salcombe to kedge while waiting for the tide to cross Lymebay. Its also the only coupld of times that I have not been charged in Salcombe. I have snoozed in the cockpit in the sunshine waiting for the tide. Happy memorys!

Tim Lee

Visit site

10/4 that! The best advice is to anchor up well out in the channel, at least outside the inner moorings and let out plenty of chain. I have frequently watched anchors dragging on the East Portlemouth side. Alternatively go in really close in and dry out like me:)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The Harbour Master is my next door neighbour. I'll let him know:D:D
Please have a chat to him about it. Perhaps he will remember coming to have a chat with me when I was anchoring up - and telling me that there was no charge for a short stay while I waited for the tide. :)

Give his assistant my regards - we met in the rugby club (I was the referee) and I talked to her about the negative reactions lots of us have to Salcombe. If I remember correctly she said a lot of the locals come and drink at the Rugby Club as its so much cheaper than town!

Cookee

www.bananasharkracing.com
Shame that our favorite shop is now a fat face.

I think you'll find that was Ellis's - a rather expensive "supermarket"

I live in Salcombe and would struggle to argue with any of the above comments if I was being honest. For around a month a year it is very busy, but so is anywhere that has been discovered that is good. It's a fantastic place and as others have said visited for many for good reason.

I have spend many happy weeks in and around Salcombe harbour; it's at its best when you are sailing a dinghy rather than a yacht. So many more places you can go to, on a tide you can get to the top of the creeks where the pubs are! and you can put a dinghy on the beach ... so many visitors in yachts get no further than the moorings.

...and on the topic of Salcombe and its environs ... if the weather suits, there's Hope Cove (nb rock in middle of cove) and, if it's scenery you want, Elender Cove ... (but neither place recommended in an onshore blow!).

Spot on Blackbeard - also visit Burgh Island for a pint at the pub!

If anyone has any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them and if it's a wet weekday and you want to see where we build fast boats I'll pick you up and give you a cup of coffee and the tour (BYOB - Bring Your Own Biscuits) :)

Robin

Visit site
I think you'll find that was Ellis's - a rather expensive "supermarket"

I live in Salcombe and would struggle to argue with any of the above comments if I was being honest. For around a month a year it is very busy, but so is anywhere that has been discovered that is good. It's a fantastic place and as others have said visited for many for good reason.

Spot on Blackbeard - also visit Burgh Island for a pint at the pub!

If anyone has any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them and if it's a wet weekday and you want to see where we build fast boats I'll pick you up and give you a cup of coffee and the tour (BYOB - Bring Your Own Biscuits) :)

When my kids were young and that was a LONG time back, Ellis's was known on board as 'The Rookery'. The only things that were not charged double price were the ones with a price printed on the packet by the makers.

Salcombe tried the sky high price visitor moorings trick back then too but people voted immediately with their keels and they had to drop the price again, but it took them years to regain their lost visitor numbers. This time round it seems there are folk with deeper wallets or less indignation than me who are still prepared to pay a marina price for nothing very much at all. I would have thought in a recession their pricing, limited facilities for tenders and supplies ashore let alone the fee collecting zeal would be a risky tactic.

It is a pretty place but there are plenty as pretty or prettier, some nearby like Falmouth, Fowey, Dartmouth or Brixham and then there is the other side of the Channel. Small wonder more Brits visit France than French visit UK waters.

Visit site
Irrespective of the pro's and con's of the place the fact remains that this debate about Salcombe seems to have gone on for years.

I can't think of any other single destination which is subject to the same debate so regularly. That alone tells me something.

johnalison

Visit site
The trouble is - there's only one Salcombe and it has its own particular charms. If forced to visit in the season I find that the only way to get into the right frame of mind is to imagine that I'm abroad and all the strange creatures that form the heaving masses are actually foreigners.

RobF

Visit site
Irrespective of the pro's and con's of the place the fact remains that this debate about Salcombe seems to have gone on for years.

I can't think of any other single destination which is subject to the same debate so regularly. That alone tells me something.

... except Yarmouth!

Having been to Salcombe a few times, it is beautiful, a bit expensive and definitely needs to be visited outside late July - end August.