Salcombe - visit or avoid ?

robmurray

Visit site
Salcombe to me is a must do stop on a west country sailing holiday. I know what Im letting myself in for and just go with a mindset that I will enjoy it for a night or two, boat already stocked up of course. Seeing as one of you has given away the best bit about Salcombe, I will second it - the pool in the mouth of Frogmore Creek is as nice as it gets, if you dont mind a long tender trip. For me the highlight of the west country, apart from Scilly, is upstream on the Dart. Agree with you guys about Yealm and Fowey - also gorgeous. Best place I have ever sailed - west coast of scotland.

Visit site
I personally wouldn't visit either Salcombe or Dartmouth from choice due to the attitude of the 'harbour masters' (money collectors). Just my opinion though.

Vic

You just have to be a few years out of date. The new harbour master ( 3 years ago I think) has transformed that aspect. The guys in the launches met us, showed us to a buoy and then handed the rope up to us to tie on. No request for money at that time and the fees when we did pay were reasonable by south coast standards - the result of a change in the balance of power which has put up annual mooring rates and dropped visitor ones. The previous harbour committee was packed with locals interested in their annual mooring fees.

Sure the town is yuppie-ville , full of Musto etc shops. But there are reasonable eateries. Its even a reasonable [place to leave a boat to go back home to do the garden. For my 36 footer, a week unrafted on the residents pontoon was from memory just under £100. And the harbour staff even delivered boat bits from the office for me.

Much better than Newton Ferrars ( HM with hand out before we had tied up) and Dartmouth.

whisper

Visit site
Agree re. the new HM's regime - far more customer friendly nowadays.
I'm posting from Kingsbridge - which, particularly for those of you anchoring above The Bag , is almost as close as Salcombe and is a far less frenetic place to visit, on the tide. It has a Somerfield supermarket (soon to be joined by AN Other) and plenty of "non fashion" shops.
They are currently dredging the basin up here and you should be able to access it by dinghy from between HW-4 to HW+3.5hrs. If you want to sail up in your main boat then there is a new vis.pontoon in place - albeit without power and water as yet. A vessel drawing 1.5m could remain afloat for about 2hrs either side of HW - contact the HM for confirmation. Also check that "The Fair" isn't in town if you want to overnight there - you'll almost be on the dodgems - 2nd or 3rd week in July. One can also berth alongside The Crabshell Inn, which is now under vibrant new ownership and looks as if it will recapture its good reputation for food of 20 yrs ago.
I heartily agree with the comments regarding the invasion of the illmannered Hoorays in Salcombe and so I avoid late July and all of August if at all possible. For the remaining 46 wks of the year it's great, even though during the Winter much of Salcombe is "closed". Even the Fish & Chip shop shuts for weeks. Kingsbridge, on the other hand, remains "open" all year.
There is now a dinghy pontoon in situ during the Summer in Frogmore so it and Southpool have a good means of access to the local pub. The latter in particular is worth a trip - food is excellent.

All in all the estuary is a really lovely place to enjoy, either actively in the hectic areas close to Salcombe, during the "season", or in the peace and quiet of the lower parts of Frogmore Creek. It is also unique in its provision of beaches for the kids when one compares it with the neighbouring ports.

Robin

Visit site
It seems to me that what I posted previously about Salcombe's pricing and attitude to visitors many years ago when they took years to recover visitor numbers after revising their policy is being repeated. Full marks to them for trying to make changes again this time around, but as can be seen from replies here, recovery is a long process as boat owners have long memories and the grapevine spreads far and wide. Other harbours should take note, greed does not pay!

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I am unsure about how fair we are being on the place....

I myself was pretty damning a few years back... but the rates now have been exceeded by Newton Ferrars.... and yet Salcombe is probably one of, if not the, finest harbours for a yachtmans on the South coast... Alas, because it has such great beaches, and is such a nice spot, its very crowded..

So, to avoid that go up above the bag and drop the hook... but of course then this makes it difficult to get into town... and the taxi is rare and expensive.... If you have a lift keel or a cat then get up past Halwell point into Frogmore and you have a great anchorage....

Salcombe1.jpg

Hol106-3.jpg

Gone are the days alas when you could find youself on a July day in the bag with the pontoon virtually empty..

WP21-1.jpg

whisper

Visit site
You should get out more - Tesco's opened on Monday!

Bloody typical!! I've just been there and was going to edit my post but you had to jump in before I managed it!!

Can't see us being able to keep 2 supermarkets going, can you. Also think it will kill off the types of shop that keep Kingsbridge's market town atmosphere. Hope I'm wrong.

Cookee

www.bananasharkracing.com
Bloody typical!! I've just been there and was going to edit my post but you had to jump in before I managed it!!

Can't see us being able to keep 2 supermarkets going, can you. Also think it will kill off the types of shop that keep Kingsbridge's market town atmosphere. Hope I'm wrong.

:)

It seems that they have basically split the business so far - not sure if the business from the summer will keep them both going over the winter - Tesco's won't back down which means they'll be the last one standing if two can't survive.

I was buying a side of Salmon for the Christmas Gravlax and the fishmongers told me that Tesco's wouldn't have a fish counter so they would still get customers who don't want fish in a packet.

whisper

Visit site
Just for the record, how much is it to anchor these days? (29 foot).

Vic

Well looking at the 2011 Harbour Guide it appears that you are likely to pay Harbour Dues @77p per metre + VAT from June 1st-31stAug./ and Easter Wkend and May Bank Hols.
If you stay 3 nights in June, you get another night FOC
Ditto in July/Aug you get a night free in Sept-Oct

There are discounts and similar special promotions at all other times.

Tim Lee

Visit site
I am unsure about how fair we are being on the place....

I myself was pretty damning a few years back... but the rates now have been exceeded by Newton Ferrars.... and yet Salcombe is probably one of, if not the, finest harbours for a yachtmans on the South coast... Alas, because it has such great beaches, and is such a nice spot, its very crowded..

So, to avoid that go up above the bag and drop the hook... but of course then this makes it difficult to get into town... and the taxi is rare and expensive.... If you have a lift keel or a cat then get up past Halwell point into Frogmore and you have a great anchorage....

Salcombe1.jpg

Hol106-3.jpg

Gone are the days alas when you could find youself on a July day in the bag with the pontoon virtually empty..

WP21-1.jpg

Is this Karl Pilkington, Jimmy Hill and Manum PI on a sailing holiday?

Seajet

Visit site
I have serious doubts about Salcombe being 'the finest harbour on the South Coast' but I'm not going to name my favourite in case it becomes equally crowded !

One tip regarding Salcombe however ( this was probably more applicable in pre- Decca & GPS days, or if suffering an electrical failure ) is that in good weather, cumulous clouds build up above in a mirror image of the peninsula, giving a very good landfall guide from a long way off...

AvalongaleSalcombe-1.jpg

Not much sleep for a couple of days during this.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
When it blows like that you need to be in the bag

Except moving the boat in such conditions is downright dodgy, so we were a lot better off staying put...

On another occasion with a lift keeler I did indeed move to the bag, but I wouldn't fancy it in a gale...

On a lighter note, I would recommend Salcombe for Top Tottie ! :)

Last edited:
Visit site
Wouldn't swear to it but I believe that if you anchor just the Salcombe side of the bar you are outside the harbour and its FOC.

I've just checked my chart (sad!) and they can still get you there! The harbour limit is about 150 metres beyond the bar.

Vic,
90p/metre according to Reeds

andrewfollett

Visit site
When it blows like that you need to be in the bag

Except moving the boat in such conditions is downright dodgy, so we were a lot better off staying put...

On another occasion with a lift keeler I did indeed move to the bag, but I wouldn't fancy it in a gale...

On a lighter note, I would recommend Salcombe for Top Tottie ! :)

At 35 knots as per the wind speed, you would be fine. simply motor or sail round the corner to a wind and wave free zone. Its never worth enduring several nights in that position with the boat rolling and banging around when you have a pontoon or anchorage 500 meters away under the lee in the bag.

Last edited:

Dockhead

Visit site
I personally wouldn't visit either Salcombe or Dartmouth from choice due to the attitude of the 'harbour masters' (money collectors). Just my opinion though.

Vic

Can't agree about the Dartmouth harbourmasters! They were princely with us on several visits over last summer! Very kind, very helpful, very affable. Dartmouth was really memorable and I plan to go back frequently this year.

Salcombe, unlike Dartmouth, is very narrow, confined, and crowded, from a nautical point of view. We planned on anchoring there on the advice of one pilot book, and quickly gave up when we saw how little (nonexistent) the swinging room was. We took one of the moorings for big motor yachts which are down river, and allowed ourselves to be rafted up to. It was fine. The harbourmaster was very helpful. We tried to explore by dinghy, but the water was shallow even for a dinghy -- it's a small place, unlike Dartmouth. The town -- typical holiday town of the south coast, maybe a little more upmarket than most. With typical charms and typical disappointments. Visit or not -- decide yourself. It's bracketed between Plymouth and Dartmouth -- two of the most wonderful places on the South Coast -- so maybe suffers a little by comparison.