Sailproof tablet overheating ?

bluerm166

Visit site
I understand that it is not recommended to charge a Sailproof tablet while running an app.so as to extend battery hours.This seems to come from the need to avoid overheating whilst simultaneously charging and running ,which both produce heat.
I can see that running video and rapid charging may overheat the electronics (ignoring full sun effect) but it seems unlikely that running an undemanding navigation app.on a slow boat would overtax it.
Charging and running nav on a Samsung 580 together ,as I do,doesn't create noticeable heat and leaves the battery at 100% at days end.Solar gain does produce noticeable strain and the system tells you so.
Opinions please.

davidmh

Visit site
Some tablets and systems say that it is OK to leave the charger on with a chartplotter running but the battery will only charge with the screen off. Setting the screen time out to say 15 mins and then giving a 15 min break before switching the screen on keeps the battery full, and the chart plotter has been running in the background all the time. Not ideal but it works for me

David MH

goeasy123

Visit site
We've got a 10' Sailproof. On charge while navigating. If you turn the brightness down 1/3 it doesn't overhead...or turn on the display's dark theme mode.

Refueler

Visit site
Some tablets and systems say that it is OK to leave the charger on with a chartplotter running but the battery will only charge with the screen off. Setting the screen time out to say 15 mins and then giving a 15 min break before switching the screen on keeps the battery full, and the chart plotter has been running in the background all the time. Not ideal but it works for me

David MH

That was prevalent with the old tablets before the amp rates of USB were increased .. it was also common with older notebook PC's - especially if you were running additional items such as CD drives etc.

Refueler

Visit site
We've got a 10' Sailproof. On charge while navigating. If you turn the brightness down 1/3 it doesn't overhead...or turn on the display's dark theme mode.

I'm glad my Megatek and Headwolf tablets run fine without such antics.

BUT there is one aspect that many tablets / LCD screens fall foul of ... direct sunlight on a summers day can overheat the screen - causing 'black screen' .... shielding the screen from direct sun will bring screen back again.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Vanilla Android has an option to disable fast charging for this reason.

Consumers expect devices to charge quickly, and this is a feature of reviews - there seems to be an expectation that you should be able to run your device all day, discharge it nearly flat and then be able to recharge it to ~80% in only 20 minutes or so.

Device batteries are small and thin, particularly with premium devices, so they're probably more prone to overheating when charged rapidly.

So probably most people's phones and tablets have a shortened battery life, compared to what they might have, because the manufacturers charge them too quickly

Screenshot from Samsung Tab S5e running recentish LineageOS:

mfvS4qf.png

OCuea

Visit site
Could you put a cool pack wrapped in cling film to stop condensation damaging tablet under to tablet to stop the overheating?

The Q

Visit site
Could you put a cool pack wrapped in cling film to stop condensation damaging tablet under to tablet to stop the overheating?
Looking at the spec they are IP65 rated, shouldn't need cling film as they are almost water proof

lustyd

Visit site
On charge and charging are different so a device on charge 24x7 won’t get as hot as a device that is at 80% and then plugged in.
Also don’t confuse “feels hot” with “overheating” electronics are usually fine up to 70C while humans are only good to 50 or so before getting burned.

bluerm166

Visit site
The recommendation is actually in the manual so for such expensive kit ,if I had one,I would take note of it.
Thanks for your comments.