Sailing into marina berth

srm

Visit site
Just a thought for the New Year.

On Boxing Day three yachts (plus a motor boat) went out from our smallish marina.

All three yachts arrived back at around the same time (just before dark) and all three entered their berths without turning on an engine. Wind was light and gave a beat up to the breakwater then the wind on the starboard quarter as they went down the lane. Coincidentally, all had to make a starboard turn into their berths.

The smallest could not start its outboard so dropped sail at the end of the lane and drifted in with the aid of an oar.

The middle size boat had four Bretton's on board and entered under main and genoa. There was just enough width in the lane for them to turn into the berth where one of the crew jumped off the bow and stopped the boat.

The larger yacht was single handed and did not have enough space to turn into its berth so entered under partly rolled genoa, hooked on a midship spring to the end of its finger pier and swung into the berth around the spring (which is the same manoeuvre it uses to get into the berth under power).

Just out of interest how many sailing forumites have (or would) sail into a marina berth given favourable conditions?

Perhaps a New Year resolution?

Have fun.

sailorman

Visit site
have done it on on the Island ( Osserhoek) in the Gravelingenmeer in Holland about 20 yrs ago in light conditions boat 26 ft O/all.
we have a chap who always sails out of & into our marina, boat around 36 ft O/all,
he does this, mainly as he aint got an engine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nordic_ranger

Visit site
I've done it and don't want to do it too often. I'm berthed second boat in in a line of four boats on a long pontoon with another four boats opposite me. An interesting manouver and had to do it as my engine turned to a bucket of bolts and I could not get a tow in. The Marina Master told me to get on with it when I radioed him. At the time he had more confidence in me than I had as it involved after entering and exiting the Marina channel a hard to port turn 100 metres then a hard to starboard turn for an other 100 metres or so then starboard again for 20 metres then to port for 20 metres.
Part of lifes learning curve.
Jim.

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
I couldn't sail into my berth here in Ipswich (180 degree turn once through lock, half way down an aisle!)

But I did once sail an (temporarily) engine-free boat up the Thames and right into the lock at St Katherine's. Does that count?

Sheff

Visit site
The only time I have sailed in/out of marina berths is on RYA courses. Although not a requirement of the courses I have found that good instructors like to give you the confidence to manouvre at close quarters under sail.

The most unusual was leaving a Spanish port when the skipper (RYA instructor) decided it was ideal for leaving under sail but "the port authorities don't like it so we'll leave under bare poles, they'll never know", and it certainly wasn't a straight run to the exit.

Amazingly easy once you had steerage but gave you confidence to handle things in the event of engine failure if the wind is in your favour.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
This isnae fair!

Look pal, I've got enough trouble getting in and out of marina berths in perfect conditions ................ errm, with the engine running......

...... and errmmm.... without the sails up....

G

Had to do it once last summer when smoke started coming out of the engine (happily turned out to be just a slipping fan belt). It wasn't a problem, though it felt a bit unnatural... Perhaps should try more often!

srm

Visit site
Sheff,

Its only when you manoeuvre close to fixed objects that you learn exactly how a boat handles, for instance starting to fore reach as the wind comes abaft the beam. As you say practice also gives confidence. Perhaps sailing alongside a hammerhead should be part of RYA practical courses, if nothing else it might cut down the number of RNLI callouts to so called sailing yachts with engine problems.

Many years ago a yacht sailed into its berth in Largs marina, it was a fine autumn Sunday afternoon with a lot of people about, and almost everyone stopped to watch. There was a moderate breeze and they went in under mainsail which was gradually reduced to only a few feet with a crew member holding the leech and acting as a sheet. Looks good when it works but no escape route if anything goes wrong so requires confidence.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Ignoring those times when running RYA courses or examining people...

Once had engine failure sailing a 55 footer (Gearbox fell off the engine - the studs had sheared inside the bell housing) Had to sail alongside a berth inside a tight harbour in the Naval Aacademy, Annapolis. Nonbody, but nobody there to see it, but you can guarentee that there would have been crowd of thousands if it had gone wrong!

Once spent most of Cowes week racing a South Coast One Design in Class 8 with no propellor (don't ask, we had tried to be clever and removed the 3 bladed and substituted a two bladed egg whisk that just complied with the class regs, which had no keyway. It came loose and eventually fell off...) Anyway, if you want to raise your blood pressure, try sailing a long keeled 4.5 tonne boat up the Medina in the madness that occurs every afternoon during Cowes week. Mornings were not so bad as we were the last class to start, but afternoons were hell. Little sportsboats and other yachts just couldn't understand that we could neither suddenly stop, nor alter course as quickly as they could. The Cowes harbour masters assistants were fantastic, and would come and give us a push in their dories to get alongside the Cowes Authority pontoon, if we were put in a gap in the raft. Happy days and we still won some silverware....

jerryat

Visit site
Yep, did it many times years ago when I had my little boat in a friend's berth in a Plymouth marina for two seasons. About halfway through the second season the marina master came along and asked me if I would stop doing it.

I asked why, as I'd never messed it up or hit anyone, and he replied that others had started copying me and HAD!!

I still feel immodestly pleased about the reason!!

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Possible sometimes.

It's a question of spotting when conditions are favourable. I don't care who you are, or what you sail, they're not always going to be right. So then it's down to whether you can be bothered waiting around for the tide to turn or the wind to shift.

I'd expect to sail into my berth at Shamrock Quay a couple of times a year. I quite often sail boats onto simple outside pontoons or mooring buoys but not as often as I did. Part of the problem is lack of space and increased traffic and the other part is it smacks a bit of the hairshirt.

If your eager to try it, wind aft of the beam with a stream from ahead when you stop is easiest. You can get most AWB's to do that on jib alone.

It's not a game for the perfectionist. Also eeep an eye on the crew. They can get a bit hyper. There's more ways for them to do daft things, like jumping off to soon or being a fender, when you sail in.

LittleShip

Visit site
Sailed a 40' Warrior into Shamrock many years ago! engine was perfect but we had lost the propeller. Marina said they were too busy to take a line from us, S.S.S.Ds /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Heart rate 180 boat speed 0.5knt exciting stuff though! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom

[3889]

Visit site
Entered Troon under sail after loosing p bracket on a pot marker off Ayr. Berthed on hammerhead, hardest part was sailing into marina from ferry harbour - V narrow gap and shifty wind.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Used to do it all the time...

...when I had a "cruising" Dragon as a young man. A Dragon will do just about whatever you want, short of sitting up and begging, and is light enough to be manhandled to some extent, and I had no engine, so that was that.

I have done it a few times since in other boats, including my present 12 tonner, but only under ideal conditions, with an escape route planned.

I very much endorse what Peppermint says about keeping an eye on the crew lest they do something silly as they all get "hyper". For this reason, it may be easier singlehanded!

cameronke

Visit site
couldn't resist.......................................

I saw three ships come sailing in
on Boxing day, on Boxing day
I saw three ships come sailing in
on Boxing day in the morning

Ill just get my coat
Cameron /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re: Used to do it all the time...

[ QUOTE ]
I have done it a few times since in other boats, including my present 12 tonner, but only under ideal conditions, with an escape route planned.

[/ QUOTE ]And thats the reason why I think its such an unusual sight nowadays..... very few marinas still have space for an 'escape route' to exist...... most have the aisles too narrow and the fingers too long in order to squeeze that extra few boats in.....

In our berth, I think 'sailing on' would be possible, but very foolhardy as there would be no way out if things went wrong.......

Cutter

Visit site
ok its not onto a berth but best time I saw it done was when moored in a scottish harbour (name temp escapes me). Old chap and his missus tack thru harbour entrance, she goes below, he tacks round moorings, lets go, walks calmly forward and hooks on as kettle whistle goes. Walks back as missus appears with mug of tea. Stunning performance of competance and companionship.
Did sail up the Hamble with no engine last year using the spray hood as our fine control mechanism. Came to a gentle rest on the Pink ferry pontoon.

graham

Visit site
I once helped a friend sail out of Penarth Marina with his old wooden cutter.About 30 ft plus large bowsprit.(Engine broken)

The wind blowing straight down the long narrow marina we let go and sailed under bare poles towards the locks .Marina master called us ahead and requested other boats stay on their berths.

The boat now getting along at nearly 2 knots a small bucket towed astern not helping much .Never mind One man stood on the Stbd quarter with a heavy mooring line ready to hop onto the llock pontoon and make fast the stern quickly.

Almost there when a tiny bright orange speed boat nips round in front and starts to tie up to the pontoon.The air was blue as the marina master redirected him to quickly get out the way. Safely alongside we needed a tot to calm our nerves. Speedboaters totally unaware that they were nearly split in two from astern by our bobstay.