Sailing a First 27.7 - amazing fun!

roblpm

Visit site
Well let's see if the moderators continue to allow it then shall we!!
There has to be a limit otherwise we could be over run by blatant adverts.
Those from people helping forumites with a problem could be acceptable perhaps.
How far do you think advertising should be allowed?
Do you want far eastern companies offering cheap deck chairs, or plastic models of boats, along with "pigeon english" wording for embellishment?
That would be interesting in the middle of a thread- or would it?
Some forumites already use add blockers to eliminate adverts around the page so I am not sure that they would be happy with them in the prose a well

But its pretty easy to distinguish between spam advertising and people running small businesses who contribute. Its hardly out of hand at the moment. And as something else pointed out this forum is owned by a commercial organisation. They can do what they like!

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'm another that likes the odd delivery video, makes up for not being on my own boat. You may not be aware but he's given away more than a few prizes in his competitions, and I'd like to see that continue. And only partly because I haven't won any yet...

doug748

Visit site
I haven't see dylan posting for ages?! I really think they add rather than detract from the forum. Forums need content.

Her left the tent after several daft attacks from the same few people. Shame because he raised some very interesting posts and the people who chased him out never seem to.

They are generally the type who know most things and never post questions. How could they as they know it all? Personally I would swap 10 of them for any one like Halcyon.

PS

Don't like the fisheyes, though I have just ordered a cheap camera with 170deg wide angle, anyone used one? I hope to stick it up the backstay and use underwater as well. 50 quid, we shall see.

Last edited:

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Advertising be damned. The real sin is pushing the boat off using the guard rails. Aaargh!!

That's more like it - I much prefer to be criticised for how I do things on the boat than for making the film! If you look closely you'll notice that my left hand is on the shroud - the hand on the guard rail is just for stability; honest governor.

I don't post all of our films on here, just a few that I think might be of interest. The 360 camera is still pretty new to me and I think is getting some interesting results. I think you have to view it on the youtube app to experience the 360 effect, if you can't scroll around and see all angles then it isn't working properly.

Pete

Visit site
Well I for one enjoy the vids so long may they continue. Not sure about the 360 though.
On the other points, Delta holds nicely in east coast mud and 36ft is fine to single hand.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
I used to own a 27.7. A great fun boat and we had some good sailing in RTI and the like. Looking back, I don't think I ever had the skill to get a decent race result out of her. She really used to fly downwind in a bit of a blow but very much a "tiger by the tail" sportsboat. I swapped to a J/109 which is a complete pussycat in comparison!

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
Was the 27.7 solidly built ? Thanks

I found my 27.7 to be well built for the intended purpose. All of the equipment, rig and fittings were essentially taken from the larger 31.7 and cut down a bit to suit. Rig and fittings were a bit chunky compared to current sports boats like J80 but it was robust and never gave the slightest problem. Hydraulic lifting keel always worked. The keel is locked in the down position by manually installed clamp bars.
The hull has an inner floor beam and stiffening structure bonded in the familiar Beneteau style. However there are no keel-bolts like on a 40.7 because the lift-keel has machined fittings bolted to the keel-box and hull structure. The hull molding is not "solidly built" as in 1" thick GRP since the aim was to keep the weight down. It is a typical cruiser/racer laminate shell and given the size of the boat, the panel spans between internal features is quite small and curved, leading to a stiff skin. Towards the rear of the hull the lightness of the skin becomes apparent as the curvature flattens off and internal structures become fewer. This is the area one might consider to be less "solidly built" but the loads and wave impacts are also lighter here.
If you want a boat with sporty performance - and the 27.7 will plane downwind - then it has to be light enough to do it. Beneteau had to balance robustness, cost and weight while maximising accommodation and performance - quite a challenge. I think they did a pretty decent job with it. It's a sporty weekend cruiser with cross-channel capability and decent accommodation and doesn't claim to be anything more.