Sail Lubricant…

Seah0rse

Visit site
I’m having some difficulty hoisting my Genoa on to the roller reefing furling forestay. Would someone kindly recommend some sort of lubricant for the sail and or groove of the forestay. I was thinking some sort of silicone spray. Thanks

scottie

Visit site
Car silicon bumper spray has been claimed as a cheap option
but you need to avoid obscuring the number plate

more seriously cleaning the foil helps we always had made up section of the luff with loops kept for that reason

Yngmar

Visit site
My advice, based on experience and trying both is: cleaning is far better than lubricating. I've got a piece of rope that fits the luff groove, stitched on a few twine loops to pull it up and down and do so along with a spiral hose with the water nozzle pointing downwards into the groove. Pull that up and down twice, watch the dirt and dust and old caked on lubricant come out of the groove and next your sail will slide up like butter with no lubricant at all.

Photos here: How we clean our luff groove

Martin_J

Visit site
I clean the groove in a way similar to the above..

I just find a bit of rope, about six inches long, that will fit into the groove. Fold an old tea towel in half over it and slide the part with the wrapped bit of rope into the groove. With a halyard attached to the top of the tea towel and a downhaul tied to the bottom corners... Firstly a soapy tea towel can be used followed by a ptfe lubricant (McLube sailkote) sprayed one...

Quicker to do than to describe!

(Note... We do have a big supply of tea towels on board).

Martin_J

Visit site
Although, as per previous questions on difficult to hoist mainsails...

Are you sure its the groove and not the top sheave worn and sticking when under pressure? Try a separate halyard or use the halyard to hoist a good block to the top with a temporary external genoa halyard pre run through it as a test.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
McLube Sailkote if you’re feeling flush. Good stuff.

Sailkote. Slippery, lasts, does not build up, and does not draw dirt.

Yes, I have used everything else.

---

Also cleaning. A length of bolt rope with a grommet in each end is handy. And as Martin suggested, check the halyard pulley. Finally, some furler top swivels will start to bind if the sleeve wears. Lube the inside of the slide and outside of the extrusion with Sailkote.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Once a month I hoist the lightest member of crew in the bosuns chair and they clean it out with ear wiggers.

I think some people call these cotton wool buds.

Refueler

Visit site
Once a month I hoist the lightest member of crew in the bosuns chair and they clean it out with ear wiggers.

I think some people call these cotton wool buds.

Interesting ... so you remove genny every month ?

Only ask as I think most people leave theirs up all season ... some actually leave for consecutive years ...

xyachtdave

Visit site
Interesting ... so you remove genny every month ?

Only ask as I think most people leave theirs up all season ... some actually leave for consecutive years ...

Yes, I’ve got a sock to pull over the headsail if we’re tight on time but generally drop it every weekend.

I’m a bit of a tart and like old fashioned headsails in various sizes. For example the number 4 we carry for going upwind in strong breeze is night and day different to say a furled 140% Genoa to same size.

I don’t change down a size when sailing as not really crewed for that hassle, but will go up a size if underpowered.

Look at weather and select best option for weekend.

When I see a decent headsail left up month after month, probably with the halyard twanged up hard slowly stretching the life out of it and slowly going green….eek!