Sadler 29 or Nicholson 32

Adam Roberto

Visit site
I am looking for advice. I have a plan to sail around England going through the Caledonian canal. There are issues, I am an inexperienced day skipper having sailed as crew across the channel and captained 3 flotilla holidays in the med. So plan is to get a boat learn to sail on the east coast step by step over the next two years then attempt the big one. I will probably need to sail single handed most of the way. If it is all too much I will need to sell the boat. Though I love the idea of a beautiful wooden boat, ease of maintenance, and a good chance of selling if need be is more important. I am looking for a comfortable ride! I have a budget of up to 20K for the boat but that would have to be ready to go. So is it the Sadler 29 or the Nicholson 32?

Refueler

Visit site
Both are good boats ... but the Nich will have a long keel : 5' 6" draft which may introduce some need of care going astern ... but they are lovely boats.

Sadler - you have choice of 3 keels ... deep fin 5' 00" ... shallow fin 4' 00" or bilge keel 3' 8" ......

Interior volume ? About the same as the Nich tends to be of older design despite designer increasing the beam to length ratio for more cruising comfort.

The Sadler Bilge Keel version is actually better than most people give credit for - you'll hear the usual banter against Bilge Keel's . Some years ago PBO mag did a comparison sail of two Sadlers .. one a fin - other Bilge Keel ... there was so little in it .... they kept up with each other.

Round UK ?? Lot to be said for Bilge Keel as you have no idea where you may end up having to bolt into .. ability to take the ground is an advantage.

Keep Turning Left used BK boats for that reason - to be able to dry out wherever he needed. Well worth watching his videos on Youtube as they cover exactly that - Round UK.

Tranona

Visit site
Very different kinds of boat, but both capable for your plans. However the Nic is very old and has a limited market whereas the Sadler is typically much easier to sell on plus you are far more likely to find one in decent condition with replacement engine good sails and navigation gear within your budget.

johnalison

Visit site
I am less convinced by the bilge keel version of the Sadler, having owned a fin for many years and sailed with and against both versions. I think the fin is just that much more satisfying to sail, not that the bilge is a bad boat, just less weatherly and responsive. In terms of accommodation they are broadly similar to the Nic, depending on which version you have, and they are in the same range of speed. The Nic is far heavier and more ballasted, so that it will laugh off a summer blow while the Sadler will be well reefed down and struggling. The Sadler may be a bit more comfortable inside and much easier to maintain, and with probably more family appeal.

I think that for an inexperienced sailor the Sadler would be the better choice, and certainly easier to manage, especially under power. This does not mean that it is a better boat, but just easier. S 29s have done many channel crossings in gales safely if not happily, though I would rate it at one wind force less than the Nic for going-to-seaability.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I agree with Tranona the Sadler 29 is likely to be a better bet being much younger although getting on now, they were capable boats an suited to what you want to do, Nic 32s and Rivals are older and likely to need a lot of TLC to get them fit for purpose different boats really suited to different sailing although all 3 are more than capable of doing what you want but imo the Sadler will be cleaner and easier to maintain and sell if you have to.
I have sailed all 3.

Gadget257

Visit site
Strangely I had both of these boats on the top of my list for a similar cruising plan, but I ended up with a Halmatic 30, I am refurbishing it as projected boat so can't yet say if I made the right decision. Bilge keels allows you to explore creeks and access harbours on the Norfolk Coast on a round Britain trip. Whilst the long keel of the Nic 32 (and Halmatic 30) is far more sea kindly in a chop. The Halmatic has the advantage of a decent heads so I won't get guests peeing by my ear in the middle of night as I am snuggled down in the forepeak (I am former Saddler 34 co owner). The other thing as said on this forum so many times old boats are rarely in turn key condition so for a £20K boat plan to spend at least another £10K and may be more.

I'm very biased, as my wife and I sailed round England, Wales and the southern half of Scotland in 2015 in a bilge keel Sadler 29.
Go for the Sadler, as others have said, similar interior space. The Sadler will be warmer with less condensation due to the double skin with foam construction. The Sadler will be easier to handle in marinas etc, as they go backwards predictably, important if you're single handed.
Yes the Nic will handle storm force winds better, but on a coastal voyage you won't be sailing in such conditions, as weather forecasting is very good nowadays.
Oh, and if you do get an S29, and are treating her to new sails, consider a significantly smaller Genoa. I got a 110% blade cut no. 3 to complement the standard old but serviceable 150% no. 1, and the no. 3 was on the forestay for 90% of our trip. Easier tacking, and better pointing (yes, you will be beating for a lot of the way), and no loss of speed in a Force 4 upwards.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Over many years I have been on Nich's of various sizes and age ..

The one thing that has struck me on nearly all - the PRIDE of ownership. I cannot remember being on a Nich that was bad or poorly maintained.

But I've seen some sad examples of Sadlers and others .. they don't seem to hold such 'pride' in ownership ??

Many Nich's I've been on still have the presentation C&N Crockery on board ...

But of course there will always be a bad one somewhere.

Refueler

Visit site
I'm very biased, as my wife and I sailed round England, Wales and the southern half of Scotland in 2015 in a bilge keel Sadler 29.
Go for the Sadler, as others have said, similar interior space. The Sadler will be warmer with less condensation due to the double skin with foam construction. The Sadler will be easier to handle in marinas etc, as they go backwards predictably, important if you're single handed.
Yes the Nic will handle storm force winds better, but on a coastal voyage you won't be sailing in such conditions, as weather forecasting is very good nowadays.

Not only the Sadler ... there are many other boats out there ... friend of mine decided to take a couple of years off from work and was looking at 30 - 38ft boats ... I suggested a Colvic that I knew of ... he went and looked ... bought it and is still sailing in far off climes ... having been so successful - he decided to carry on.

johnalison

Visit site

The one thing that has struck me on nearly all - the PRIDE of ownership. I cannot remember being on a Nich that was bad or poorly maintained.

But I've seen some sad examples of Sadlers and others .. they don't seem to hold such 'pride' in ownership ??

There is no particular reason why a Sadler should be in a sad condition, any more than any other boat. They were soundly fitted out inside and were easy to care for. I agree that nobody is going to come up to you and say “What a beautiful boat”, but they have a certain cheeky look about them and I got accustomed to mine, at least after a year or two. Nic 32s have an active association, which could be an attraction for some, as it was for my friend who owned one, but they are challenging to manoeuvre in harbour, as we have all said, and for this reason alone might not make a good starter boat.

Refueler

Visit site
There is no particular reason why a Sadler should be in a sad condition, any more than any other boat. They were soundly fitted out inside and were easy to care for. I agree that nobody is going to come up to you and say “What a beautiful boat”, but they have a certain cheeky look about them and I got accustomed to mine, at least after a year or two. Nic 32s have an active association, which could be an attraction for some, as it was for my friend who owned one, but they are challenging to manoeuvre in harbour, as we have all said, and for this reason alone might not make a good starter boat.

I( wasn't knocking either or any boat for that matter ... just remarking that I found generally Nich owners had a certain aura about their ownership .. and that I found they had a 'pride' in their boats over and above what I generally encountered ..

I am HLR for CA on Latvian West Coast .. a number of CA members with Nich's visit us .. I agree - not your typical Solent weekender - but they do have that ownership aura ..

Tranona

Visit site

That is generally true, but they are very variable when they come on the market. there are 10 or so currently listed on Apolloduck from £10-25k. Also 6 Sadler 29s in similar price range. so plenty to look at and make comparisons.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Your cruising style would be a relevant factor. If you want to do a slow, detailed trip, getting in to all the little harbours and maybe going some way up the Bristol Channel, into the Wash and the East Coast marshes and so on, it would have to be a bilge keel Sadler, of the two offered. If your taste runs more to deep water, maybe some more exposed places in the Western Isles and generally favouring sea-room over shelter, the Nicholson 32 would be the one.

V1701

Visit site
Why are you fixating on just two possible boats? The best one is the one with a recent replacement engine, good sails, recent standing rigging, nice bunk cushions, tiller pilot, etc. that is up for sale at the time when you're looking to buy. There's loads of boats that you could choose...

Adam Roberto

Visit site
Thanks all, I was trying to reduce the myriad of boat options. But having said that I am open minded for other suggestions. What I have noticed is that some of the Nicholson’s , but not so many of the sadlers come with wind vane steering which strikes me as a good option. On the other hand the bilge keel and ability to land if required is attractive.

johnalison

Visit site
Why are you fixating on just two possible boats? The best one is the one with a recent replacement engine, good sails, recent standing rigging, nice bunk cushions, tiller pilot, etc. that is up for sale at the time when you're looking to buy. There's loads of boats that you could choose...
Yes and no. At some point, often in life, one has to make a decision, in the knowledge that ideally you could have done better but you don't have infinite time to spare. Buying a boat is a bit like the 'Girl friend problem'. The question supposes that you are presented with one hundred girls to interview and have to choose a life partner. You are invited to interview them in turn, but if you reject them, you are never able to see them again. The actual question is how many girls should you see before definitely deciding? There is apparently a precise answer.

dgadee

Visit site
Thanks all, I was trying to reduce the myriad of boat options. But having said that I am open minded for other suggestions. What I have noticed is that some of the Nicholson’s , but not so many of the sadlers come with wind vane steering which strikes me as a good option. On the other hand the bilge keel and ability to land if required is attractive.
I have found that vane steering is not so useful if you are doing a round Britain. You really need to be away from coastline or you'll be continually adjusting. However, it can be sold on to someone doing an offshore trip where it is certainly very useful and not power hungry.

I have also found - against my earlier view - that twin keels are very useful on the west coast of Scotland. You can get in between moorings and land and semi-dry out which increases your options considerably.