S38 production years

smybw23

Visit site
Looking at a march 2006 Sealine s38. Aware of hull strength issues withe the s38 and remedial strengthening on a case by case basis after being discovered, but did Sealine change their layup procedures during the lifetime of this model to address this and, if so, when. Trying to confirm if this hull date would be included in any manufacturing updates.

Moonstruck

Visit site
Looking at a march 2006 Sealine s38. Aware of hull strength issues withe the s38 and remedial strengthening on a case by case basis after being discovered, but did Sealine change their layup procedures during the lifetime of this model to address this and, if so, when. Trying to confirm if this hull date would be included in any manufacturing updates.
I had an S38 built late 2005 and that went back to the factory for strengthening works so nothing had changed by that time and I’m not aware of anything afterwards but might be wrong. Great boats though, so don’t be put off, just make sure it has been fixed!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
It is easy to check just lift the saloon settee cushions , if it’s not been done you will definitely see cracks , Desty Marine carried out a lot of them so make your surveyor earn his keep when he surveys it for you .
Paul Homer I believe was in charge of the recall or did the checks on a few , he may even have a list of hull numbers that have been done .
Your best bet is to join the Sealine Forum as I think the information is on there site or drop Luke Smith an email.
And yes I am also a fan of the S38 .

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’m a bit surprised that a 2005 S38 went back to the factory for strengthening work. My believe was that it was only the first two or three S38’s that suffered with hull problems which were given to Desty Marine for rectification and no further problems seen. I had one of the last S37’s in 2002 so 2005 is well into the production run.
Be aware of the odd lighting system with Seaplex modules where spares may be a problem.
Otherwise nice boats with more headroom than the S37 and a much nicer full width guest cabin at the expense of the cavernous lazerette of the former. The S37 (earlier ones called the Flamenco) had a production run into the 200’s so a really good solid proven boat. Shame that the redesign didn’t capitalise on the S37 success.

Last edited:

Moonstruck

Visit site
I’m a bit surprised that a 2005 S38 went back to the factory for strengthening work. My believe was that it was only the first two or three S38’s that suffered with hull problems which were given to Desty Marine for rectification and no further problems seen. I had one of the last S37’s in 2002 so 2005 is well into the production run.
Be aware of the odd lighting system with Seaplex modules where spares may be a problem.
Otherwise nice boats with more headroom than the S37 and a much nicer full width guest cabin at the expense of the cavernous lazerette of the former
It’s a long time ago now since I sold the boat but from memory (I could be wrong) my hull was number 105 and the cracks were pretty horrible! None of the interior doors would shut as everything had moved. Whilst devastated at the time, Sealine did a superb job of rectifying the problem and when finished the boat looked as it had when it was delivered. Why they didn’t change the design/manufacturing process though will always be beyond me. I was told that whilst mine was being fixed they were still making the boat with the same weakness ! Crazy!! I kept the boat for five years afterwards with no issues and we used it extensively along both sides of the channel coasts. If it’s been properly fixed and there’s documentation to prove it then I wouldn’t be concerned .

Greg2

Visit site
…..always be aware that the S38 hull problems seem to be well remembered and will not go away when you come to sell the boat. (Assuming you buy)

That is true but to be fair the advice is always the same - check it has been fixed properly and if it has all good 😁