RYA - some thoughts

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
I've been following the debates of recent days with interest and know without checking that some at Eastleigh will have been looking in as well. Given some fairly abusive comments in the middle of the more objective stuff (typing a few asterisks in a word starting with 'f' is hardly deferential to the Ts and Cs here - more like shoving a red hot poker up someone's posterior and then offering an ice cube for comfort) I suspect that they may have decided it is a bit of a loser to engage at this point in time. So, for what it is worth and owing nothing to any camp, here are my thoughts,

I'm an RYA member of many years; cannot even remember why I originally joined. I am not a club member and so have never had the traditional route to influential office within the RYA, even if I was seeking it. I have often been a critic, privately and sometimes in print. As the editor of a motorboating journal through the 1990s I had a natural concern that the cruising-oriented readers of my magazine seemed under-represented, particularly in the early part of that decade. I also didn't like what was happening with the handling of some pan-European negotiations (having a nasty suspicion that we occasionally applied the good old British 'shout-if-you-want-to-be-understood technique).

I feared for the RYA because it is very much an organisation in two parts: employees had a job to do but always had to blend skills, knowledge and motivation with the wishes of one or more elected committees made up of boatowners. Some members of the RYA's committees have been great boating people with much to offer; I'm pretty sure that others have been a dreadful drag on the association's ability to stay with the times. There's a democratic process of sorts in that of course but anyone who has operated in such an environment will know the downsides too.

I also feared for the RYA because its financial underpinnings were based around a lot of grant that came in direct connection with competitive activities; activities which do not represent the numerical majority of the membership but that, at least, have produced a lot of positive publicity for boating of late. It has always been obvious that the association needs to tread a very fine line between commercial (as in selling products and services) and members' interests if it is to maintain a serious presence when dealing with government matters and it could abuse its position if enthusiasm got the better of it. But are our interests best served by two enthusiasts sat in a home office or by a full-on structure with weight?

The one thing I didn't do is positively engage other than when invited to do so as the quasi head of a magazine. In a society of 97 per cent watchers and 3 per cent doers that is not untypical and in the RYA's case I was in any event unlikely to make it onto conventional committees because I didn't belong to a yacht club, because I didn't try to find other ways (because I had no desire to serve) and also perhaps because of my job.

Having got that out of the way I have also observed a lot of good in the RYA at all levels. It is not exactly a strange experience for any body with 80,000 members to get some things wrong and get hammered for it whilst rarely being praised for what is right. Especially perhaps in Britain where we like to build up only for the pleasure of breaking down (too many sandcastles built as kids?) and where we also increasingly like to chew at the good things we have as a nation rather than support them.

Strangely enough I now find myself, by invitation, on one of the working groups set up in the wake of the McKinsey findings. This is a report that the RYA appears to be taking very seriously indeed and at this moment in time I believe from my observations that the outcome is very much a work in progress with huge ramifications. Strategy is one thing but implementation is quite another and I certainly get the impression that there is a firm commitment for the process to be followed through to its logical conclusion.

For the record IPC magazines and websites owe the RYA nothing; in fact we even compete at the margins and occasionally joust over matters of mutual interest, so I have no commercial reason for suggesting support.

In fact if I had my way a few years back we might have been more obvious competitors. The business about the MCA spreading its Yachtmaster remit ought not to come as a shock to anyone; at least one set of people were talking to the MCA's predecessor (forget which set of initials it was then) way back in the early 1990s regarding the option of an alternative motorboat course. We got the impression then that the MCA never felt the RYA had a mutually exclusive arrangement. We decided, for various reasons, not to go down that route but when you think about it, perhaps the RYA is better served as an independent voice by not being what some might have seen as the holder of a cosy 'exclusive' contract?

By the way don't knock too much what seems to be an increasing interest in Yachtmaster Commercial training; in some cases this activity is all that is keeping some sea schools anywhere near the right side of the balance sheet and if we don't have the infrastructure the voluntary training defence dies there and then.

In writing this very long post I don't deny that people have valid fears and reasons for complaint regarding the RYA and its activities. You'll notice I've left all of the posts alone even though some of them are a bit border line in terms of subjective abuse. But in an age where boating is arguably more threatened than ever before, it seems to me that passion such as that often expressed on ybw.com and in the letters pages of our magazines needs to be harnessed in as constructive way as possible. And I draw my personal conclusion that the RYA is an obvious way of doing that given its huge momentum.

We are told that ideas are the currency of the 21st Century. The RYA enjoys the subscribed support of more than 80,000 generators of ideas who come from all professional disciplines and walks of life; let's hope for all of our sakes that it proves possible to use that as a foundation for the future rather than as a cause for spectacular implosion. Ditto for that matter the Cruising Association and all other similar bodies.

Having witnessed the crash of a few yacht clubs and even a minor association or two over the years, mostly because of inability to see the bigger picture beyond differences of opinion, I fear the alternatives.

Finally, on one of the recent forum threads there was a rallying call for ybw.com to interview a leading light at the RYA 'Paxman-style'. Well, how about we invite such a person to be available on Scuttlebutt or a special forum at a set time late afternoon and into the evening for a full and frank Q nd A session? Let me know if you would like to see this happen and I will do the persuading if there is support (we could set up a chat room for this but a forum would preserve the comments for later reading).

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
Re: RYA

> how about we invite such a person to be available on Scuttlebutt or a special forum at a set time late afternoon and into the evening for a full and frank Q nd A session?<

Yes please, but why not extend the idea to other sailing worthies? I'm a Tom Cunliffe fan, others are less than impressed. I subcribe to and am an admirer of the RNLI, others seem to think they are just another greedy fat charity.
Might be nice to have a 'direct' conversation with 'em.

IanW.

Vertue 203, Patience

jimi

Visit site
Notice that the critics are backward in coming forward here! Perhaps the forum could agree some prepared questions to kick the discusssion off.

dickh

Visit site
Re: RYA

A special forum with invited guests is a good idea.
I also thought some of the replies were a bit OTT on the earlier posts. FWIW I am a member of both the RYA, RNLI and two local yacht clubs, and I find them all worthwhile and interesting. I can see that the RYA can upset people occasionally but on the whole I think they do a good job in the circumstances - and do provide a lot of useful literature, information and of course training. It's not expensive - £25/yr if I remember and I think it's worthwhile.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

zefender

Visit site
The idea of an online exchange would be good.

Although I agree largely with your post, I don't think it is valid to suggest that because it has 80,000 members, the RYA can't be in touch or represent its members. It may not be unique in having that problem but that's no excuse, it just goes with the territory. But you are right I think to comment that the committee structure, the inevitable injection of supposed new blood from already old local club structures is a ticket to ongoing disenfranchisement. Losing its exclusive training provider status is probably a direct result of its increasingly broad remit and lack of 'affinity' with the membership.

Boating, of whatever ilk is, first and foremost, great fun. It's such a shame that the governing body (a dreadful phrase it ought never to use) seems to present something such fun as something so dull - even to its members.

I'm a member. And I don't really know what it is. I'm not sure it does. And I'd also worry about treating a pro bona report from McKinsey as an entirely reliable foundation for the direction it so badly needs. The fact that it had to use a consultancy, rather than direct canvassing amongst its members, says quite a lot in itself.

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
Second thoughts

Some time ago the RYA web pages gave e-mail addresses for all the 'dept heads'. They soon dropped that idea.
Then they started a news group. I had a robust conversation or two with one of the RYA top brass on that system but then it faded. I suspect that criticism from outside is not what they want. Nothing to stop them joining in now is there?
Still, if you can persuade them to turn up and respond then you would be doing us all a service.
IanW

Vertue 203, Patience

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: Second thoughts

"Nothing to stop them joining in now is there?"

No and...errr....yes. As we've seen in the past here intervention on forums by commecial and other bodies is a bit of an art form in itself; mastered by few thus far either here or elsewhere. A few times in the past I've seen a response from a company or service criticised here that has made me reach for both hands to cover my face with ahead of what I knew would happen next.

But I know what you mean and I think I know what needs to be arranged for early in the new year if it proves possible.

ccscott49

Visit site
Jimi, you know me well enough to know I'm not backward about coming forward, but you may also notice that when threads of this nature appear, I wait to see what is going to happen, I'm an old soldier and learnt from bitter experience to wait and see how the land lies first! I agree, a forum or thread with the RYA represented would be good, but I also like Kim, worry just how heated it would become, especially as one can remain anonymous on here, I feel a face to face discussion is far superior, but a start could be made here, how many members does this forum have? Enough to get a broad idea, I'll bet!

ghostwriter

Visit site
slightly off-topic perhaps , but seen as a foreigner , I still wonder what all the fuss is about.(but it's a nice fuss for reading and the odd grin)
-the RYA seems to be something unique , seen from the continent , we don't have that overhere
-we don't have it , and we don't seem to need it , we get along quite well without , don't we ?

then what is the "raison d'être" of the RYA and is that not the very thing that should be redefined or reconfirmed ? I am not suggesting that they are useless (I just don't know , but do you ?) , nor that you should get rid of them , but seen from a distance , I would really like to see them stand up and say loudly (yes , let them shout to be understood) : THIS IS WHO WE ARE , THIS IS WHAT WE STAND FOR , a forum might be a worthwhile place to do that , provided that as much as possible players (why don't you even invite your own competitors ?) would be involved, otherwise it can be seen as a little side-discussion.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Very much agree that 'governing body' is a dreadful term, not least because it appears to be the antithesis of boating as the last remaining freedom. When challenging this in the past I'm pretty sure it was suggested that this is a form of words which government understands.

Ten minutes ago received a press release in which Rod Carr states <font color=blue>"As the RYA has developed its role as the national association for all forms of sailing, windsurfing, motor cruising, sportsboats, personal watercraft and powerboat racing..."</font color=blue> My use of bold, not his.

The notes to journalists further down the release include the following statements:

<font color=blue>* The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is the national body for all forms of sailing, windsurfing, and powerboat racing. Sailing is the most successful Olympic sport in this country and Great Britain is the world's top Olympic sailing nation.

* The RYA is recognised by all government offices as being the negotiating body for the activities it represents. It continually fights for the rights and freedoms of its 98,000 personal members, the majority of whom choose to go afloat for purely recreational non-competitive pleasure on coastal and inland waters. It represents a further estimated 500,000 boat owners nationally through its 1,600 affiliated clubs and boat owner associations.</font color=blue>

Again my use of bold. Perhaps the language is changing? If so that is no bad thing.

In terms of McKinsey, thanks for making that point. I agree there is danger in treating such reports as a mantra, as many enterprises much larger than the RYA have discovered to their cost. But perhaps the benefit of the independent input is that it at least has a degree of clarity; trying to achieve the same aim through member feedback alone would have been an immense task and might have ultimately mislead if done badly.

I'm not even sure what is written into its constitution in terms of how it can work with members. Interesting question in itself. The association is what its members made/make of it and maybe that is, or needs to be, a part of the shake-up.

I guess the point I was really trying to make when mentioning the report is that I suspect the current process may reach beyond that fluffy feelgood moment when everyone decides to adopt a strategy and then goes home with a glow to leave everything exactly as is. If it does so, that is a useful start - as long as the members buy in of course!

aod

Visit site
You have astounded me Mr Hollamby

I agree that the RYA has in the past and I am sure will continue in the future to offer the sailing fraternity a single cohesive and constructive voice when addressing legislative issues with government. I also belive that they have by and large put into place systems designed to increase safety as well as promoting the activity at every level.

I also agree that a forum would afford contributors the opportunity to place constructive questions directly and hear responses from the horses mouth (so to speak) and I welcome such an opportunity.

I do however take issue with Mr Hollamby's tacit support for the popular yachtmaster commercial zero to hero courses. For a man of your standing it is simply both irresponsible and indeed immoral, to suggest that 'some' sailing schools would go out of business without their commercial yachtmaster arm as some form of justification, for endorsing a process, which knowingly generates people who at the end of a 16 week crash course are afforded a credential that allows them on a commercial basis, to take a group of children across the chanel in the pits of winter.

Indeed it is the RYA who decides whether someone is fit for such an endorsement and in this case their existing system of regulation is clearly being abused to their detriment with resultant consequential loss of credibility.

I believe that should anything dreadful happen and there be an enquiry, the RYA would be open to the severest of criticism, and it would be negligent on my part not to raise this issue.

My suggestion is not designed to prejudice anyone in particular financialy or otherwise, but it is a relevant, responsible and constructive submission that the commercial endorsement to a yachtmaster ticket 'should not' be afforded to yachtmasters without producing the proof that they have independently skippered yachts for at least 5000 miles including offshore stipulations.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
I was in the US recently and trying to describe the activities of the RYA was well near impossible, for the simple reason that they currently don't have a similar national body in what is the largest boating arena in the world. User interests tend to be represented much more at the local level, although having said that local level in US parlance is still bigger, in many cases, than all of Britain put together.

Travelling around Europe I have come across instances where boatowners claim to wish for a stronger collective voice over local issues. In some countries they do have types of association for the task. It's a real mixed bag.

The body that fascinates me only has a passing connection with boating, namely PADI, which I think does as good a job as any outfit I have come across to introduce some global joined-up thinking to a leisure interest (diving). I've only had a PADI qualification for a few months but I feel my Open Water Diver qualification has introduced me to a structure (for which I pay no annual fee) that offers massive support across my casual interest in the subject, whether wanting to buy kit, learn a little, take some training or go on a holiday anywhere in the world. Others may disagree but for me this is a benchmark of what would be a fantastic step forward for international leisure boating interests.

Oh yes, and by the way, our competitors are already around here and in at least one instance, posting every so often. The invitation would certainly be open to all.

jimi

Visit site
Sorry, Colin , I've no axe to grind on this subject. I really was pointing my remark ar Fergie who was shouting his mouth off yesterday at all and sundry and has since disappeared. I'd look forward to the debate as I feel that the interests of the leisure sailor both educationally and representatively should be looked after by in a coordinated way. And whilst I think there are some problems with the RYA they still seem to me to be the prima facie candidates to perform that role. As a republican I'd be happier if they took the R out of RYA though!

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: You have astounded me Mr Hollamby

Okay, I've not really connected in regard to my earlier post that a lot of the latest YM commercial concern is addressed at the 16 week courses. They are a relatively recent development and I don't know how much they are contributing to the bottom line of a lot of sea schools - it seems to be the specialist domain of very few and has arisen I suspect because of the growth of the luxury yacht market and the shortage of 'qualified' people to man the boats being built.

To clarify I was thinking much more about the RYA's involvement in commercial endorsement since the 1990s and the task that has been going on now for many years to provide formal training for deck hands and skippers, many of them hugely experienced, who have suddenly found that their jobs now require pieces of paper. Okay, a lot of them are Med-based and therefore have struggled with tides and the like but the majority have come to the UK armed with many thousands of hours/miles and a lot of people and boat skills; some of them acquired in circumstances most of us wouldn't want to have to face. They have been the meat and drink of training schools in many parts; perhaps that income stream is drying up now but it is sobering to reflect that waiting lists for course vacancies haven't occured whilst all of this has been happening. My statement has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with fact.

I am a major advocate of experience over everything else; if my post made you think otherwise then apologies. That said even experience can be misleading - a man with 5,000 miles may have logged all of them in very controlled circumstances and have gained very little knowledge of anything very much at all.

ponapay

Visit site
5000 miles can be 1 mile repeated 5000 times.

and that is an objection that I mooted in another post some time ago.

I have no objection to zero to hero courses but NOT for commercial applications. Commercial skippers MUST show they have a numbers of years of experience AND have passed suitable courses and tests.

I would suggest that no commercial qualifications should be granted until at least 5000 miles have been achieved and that a period of sailing with at least 500 miles per year for the prior 3 years be the required minumum AND that during the previous 3 years at least one voyage of three days in each year should be undertaken with the candidate as skipper.

Such a requirement might make the qualification mean more.

When I took my YM practical I had been sailing for over 35 years, sailed (and motored) over 15,000 miles and undertaken many voyages of 3 days or more. Also supposed to be taking at the same time (but they rightly chickened out) were 2 people who probably did not have the logged miles, certainly had never sailed out of sight of land and were blatantly incompetent even to take charge of a rowing boat on the Thames.

Lets make commercial training lead to a valued qualification

zefender

Visit site
Re: national anachronism?

I'm not sure that being the 'national' body for boating will help in 'negotiations' with government. Most standards with regard to safety and training/qualifications are decided in Brussels, not the UK. A European body representing boating might be far more effective. I'm with Jimi - take the R out of RYA. I'd then replace it with E for European - and then the cosy fireside chats might begin to mean something.

If it wants to remain a domestic body, then maybe it should pay a little more attention to real local issues - old chestnuts like marina fees, pontoon diesel prices, even a view on seaworthiness in modern boat design. Then there's banning lobster pots of course...(added for Colin's benefit!). Sure, not sexy headline stuff, but stuff that matters to members. At the moment, it's trying to go up a down escalator.

Visit site
Re: 5000 miles can be 1 mile repeated 5000 times.

I have actively helped many of the crew from yachts we manage to gain the necessary qualifications they need to progress in their chosen careers and your comments certainly sound familiar. The problem many face is before becoming a skipper you must have experience as a skipper, bit of a catch 22 situation. As regards mileage i know of several deckhands and bosuns/mates who have logged well over 100,000 miles including up to as many as ten Atlantic crossings and who would still be regarded as unsuitable for command.

I would suggest the need for not less but more qualifications (an unpopular view I'm sure) but more graduated and easier to take i.e. you do the miles you feel are sufficient and study and learn as much as you feel is necessary and then attempt the next step up the ladder, however if this is to work the examiners need to be much stricter, I could bore you for days with tales of freshly qualified so called yachtmasters turning up with not the first clue of good seamanship or skippering ability. They are then surprised that the £100,000 a year salaries used in certain establishment's advertising (Ithink you will know who I mean!) don't materialise.

FlyingSpud

Visit site

I don’t think anyone has knocked the RYA instructors, even Fergie who seems for reasons that were never really clear to me, to have lost it completely over the RYA as a body. I for one think they have little option but to follow the current ‘softly softly’ approach for reasons I have given on other threads.

But what could the RYA say to us in a forum? ‘don’t worry lads, our plan is to try and keep them talking until they get bored and do a deal with a limited involvement’ - Hardly good negotiation is it?

All they could do would be to come on and mouth platitudes, which would only drive those who feel the RYA should be beating its collective chest, madder and madder. And if the RYA decline your offer, because they know they are on a loser whatever they do, what will Fergie etc say then.

It would be good journalism, but recognise you would be setting the RYA up for a kicking either way

aod

Visit site

I thank you for your prompt and courteous response to my post and I accept the validity of your comments. I also accept that there is a proportion of the sailing world who already have considerable sailing and skippering experience for whom the 16 week courses would be an ideal method if obtaining the endorsed certificate.

One assumes people of this desription already have proof of experience and thus my submission would have no bearing on their entitlement to the commercial endorsement.

However, the requirement demands 2500 miles sailing experience and I think I am right in saying 5 x 60 mile passages as skipper. If you feel this is sufficient experience to qualify for the commercial endorsement so be it, if you do not then I fail to see this view plainly expressed.

My concerns about this issue do not arise out of the many very experienced sailors who rightfully obtain the commercial endorsement but rather those who 'do not have' the experience but yet also obtain the commercial endorsement.

My suggestion of a 5000 mile entitlement is an easily administrated method of screening which while I admit is not fool proof, is none the less a simple and effective method of reducing the odds of the minimaly experienced commercialy endorsed YM presenting themselves as the skipper of a yacht responsible for peoples lives. That in my opinion is a moral issue to be considered by the RYA and indeed influences that can affect change within the RYA, and when considering your position that means you.

It is a fact that a drunk driver drives when drunk. If you witness this it is a moral issue as to whether you do anything about it. If you are a magistrate the weight of that moral responsibility increases because of your status within the community.

In this case I beg to suggest that you are our magistrate.