RYA sail qualification- does it also cover power?

Kelpie

Visit site
Hoping to hear back from the RYA themselves, but it's a Sunday and I'm impatient.

A long time ago, when I was doing my Day Skipper (Sail) I remember being told that, since yachts have engines, it would also count as a DS Power. But I can't find any reference to this now.

If it does, would the same hold true at YM level?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering a job next summer which requires either Advanced Powerboat or YM Power, but around my current location I can only find centres offering YM Sail.

Kelpie

Visit site
No. Closest you get is an ICC for power up to 10m.

There’s no conversion route from Day skipper Sail to DS Power.
Damn. Thanks for clarifying.
I've actually got both a sail and a power DS (work paid for the power one and I wasn't going to argue, it was two weeks off work!).
It's the YM Offshore level that I'm looking at.

benjenbav

Visit site
Hoping to hear back from the RYA themselves, but it's a Sunday and I'm impatient.

A long time ago, when I was doing my Day Skipper (Sail) I remember being told that, since yachts have engines, it would also count as a DS Power. But I can't find any reference to this now.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering a job next summer which requires either Advanced Powerboat or YM Power, but around my current location I can only find centres offering YM Sail.
From memory YM power involves similar nav, passage planning etc but boat handling in a motor rather than sail powered boat. So, if you have access to one such that you’re happy to handle and already have YM, you could simply book an exam.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
From memory YM power involves similar nav, passage planning etc but boat handling in a motor rather than sail powered boat. So, if you have access to one such that you’re happy to handle and already have YM, you could simply book an exam.
That’s an option. 👍🏻

Although you can’t book the exam unless you have satisfied the qualifying requirements in terms of miles, night hours and passage making, all of which must be done in a power-driven motor vessel, ie not a yacht under power.

Kelpie

Visit site
That’s an option. 👍🏻

Although you can’t book the exam unless you have satisfied the qualifying requirements in terms of miles, night hours and passage making, all of which must be done in a power-driven motor vessel, ie not a yacht under power.
Hmmm. Hadn't considered that! I'm not short of miles, but mostly under sail.
I've got plenty of miles in powerboats too but it's mostly inshore daylight stuff. Overnight trip to St Kilda, as crew, that might help?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Hmmm. Hadn't considered that! I'm not short of miles, but mostly under sail.
I've got plenty of miles in powerboats too but it's mostly inshore daylight stuff. Overnight trip to St Kilda, as crew, that might help?
Overnight hours under sail won’t count at all. Or indeed any hours / miles / passages under sail, or in a sailing boat under power. I asked this very question of the RYA a few weeks ago.

Kelpie

Visit site
Overnight hours under sail won’t count at all. Or indeed any hours / miles / passages under sail, or in a sailing boat under power. I asked this very question of the RYA a few weeks ago.
Yes I realise that, the St Kilda trip was on a powerboat, as paid crew.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I understand that if you are currently YM Sail you need to do a second complete YM for power.

I wonder what happens if you fail?

finestgreen

Visit site
That’s an option. 👍🏻

But the prerequisites are halved if you already have the other variety of YM at the same level

38mess

Visit site
I haven't read the full thread but apologies if this has been mentioned.
To get a powerboat qualification starting with pb 2 the boat needs to be capable of at least 12 knots if memory serves.
Hope this helps.

billskip

Visit site

I cant help with the answer and will be interested to know what the rya say.
I agree with you with your belief, as also a long long time ago I distinctly remember being told I didn't need to do motor boat qualifications as we did all under power and sail, but would be required if the other way round,ie doing a power boat qualification(practical).

doris

Visit site

I look forward to hearing the result ofthis one. I was YM Ocean when I needed a power qualification. All I had to do was learn the different safety checks, MOB and boat handling for serious Mobos. It took a couple of days training and a three hour (roughly) exam, a MOB then lots of boat handling tests

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I look forward to hearing the result ofthis one. I was YM Ocean when I needed a power qualification. All I had to do was learn the different safety checks, MOB and boat handling for serious Mobos. It took a couple of days training and a three hour (roughly) exam, a MOB then lots of boat handling tests
It’s changed, the old conversion exam has gone, you now have to do the full exam. Bit more info here:

RYA Yachtmaster™ Sail - Power Exam Prep - Mendez Marine