RYA promoting PWC's ?

Refueler

Visit site
They are still boats. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them bad. Seems a pretty childish attitude to be honest.

Have to agree that they are water craft and fair game for RYA to cover.

But lets hope that RYA - if they can get users to join up or listen - can educate some of the PWC crowd who spoil it for the many.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Have to agree that they are water craft and fair game for RYA to cover.

But lets hope that RYA - if they can get users to join up or listen - can educate some of the PWC crowd who spoil it for the many.
Personally not looking to provoke but have had bad experiences of these 'craft'. Thanks Refueler, intelligent and balanced response.

dunedin

Visit site
Just received this email and am having to consider my association and 40 year subscription to RYA.
They seem to be drifting on a different stream to me.
Personal Watercraft: Tips To Get You Started
They are not “promoting” them.
People on here often criticise the RYA for not supporting their personal preferred form of boating, and then criticise them also for reflecting their members diverse interests. Total inconsistency.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Just received this email and am having to consider my association and 40 year subscription to RYA.
They seem to be drifting on a different stream to me.
Personal Watercraft: Tips To Get You Started
I left the RYA about two years ago as they appear to me to have lost direction. Perhaps a name change to GB Water as they have very little to do with yachting apart from their very good training scheme.

johnalison

Visit site
As a long-term member of the RYA I have had misgivings about their espousal of a recreation that appears to have nothing to do with yachting as I understand the term. Hoping that the association will educate the part of East London that expresses its manhood by storming around in these craft goes beyond wishful thinking.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
They are not “promoting” them.
People on here often criticise the RYA for not supporting their personal preferred form of boating, and then criticise them also for reflecting their members diverse interests. Total inconsistency.
Have you read the link? It starts by actually giving examples of price and suggesting looking into the secondhand market to get going. The whole article is a promotion. No doubt RYA need the funds from any activity on the waters but have they lost their focus? Don't get it. Need to research membership data.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I suppose that there are examples of bad behaviour in every kind of watersports. Whether we should criticise PWC users when they are being a bit noisy, but otherwise acting safely and just enjoying their kind of watersport I'm not sure. What do others think?

Certainly, there have been numerous accidents, injuries and rescues involving watercraft other than PWCs recently.

If the RYA can promote safe usage, all the better.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Seems to me the RYA are giving some good advice in the link -

Always ride responsibly​

PWC riders are not always seen in the best light and an irresponsible minority can be the subject of bad press. Riding with an established, responsible club or group can help ensure you don’t fuel any negative comments.

If you do end up going it alone without the support of a club, there are a few key things to remember:

• Do your research on local regulations and licensing requirements
  • Check the forecast and tides
  • Passage plan
  • Carry the correct gear and a means to call for help
  • Stick to any speed limits and stay out of any exclusion zones
  • Respect others, both on and off the water
  • Respect the Marine Code that protects marine life
  • Never ride solo, always take a buddy
  • Always let a friend or family member know where you’re going and when you’re back on shore. Consider using the free RYA SafeTrx app to help with this.

ylop

Visit site
Personally not looking to provoke but have had bad experiences of these 'craft'.
Presumably your experiences were not with the craft but rather with those that use them?

One of the common complaints is about their training and understanding of other water users. Seems very sensible that the RYA run a training a scheme (they have for probably over 30 years!) and should promote that scheme, good practice and bridge the gap between different water users rather than drive division.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It is quite a myopic point of view to consider canceling your membership after 40 years because of Jet Skies. Why not cancel because the RYA supports RIBs, Power Boats, speedboats, all of which function in a similar way, and have had examples of negative and dangerous behavior reported. In my opinion a sense of perspective is needed.

I enjoy jet skis, very much a holiday thing for me, great fun. I see a few on Loch Lomond, but no personal experience of bad behavior, allthough it has been reported. Hopefully the RYA support of jet skis will result in a increase in safe and responsible use. If the current campaign does increase membership, that has to be a good thing, surely?

There is a risk of the RYA stretching themselves too thinly and failing membership overall, but I don’t think that is currently realistic.

Refueler

Visit site
I have had two seriously harrowing incidents in Solent with Jetski's .... one in fact - the Jetskiers were met by police when they reached shore.

We have 3 that play on the river where I live ... annoying the many people in dinghys out there fishing .. the river does have an 8kt limit.

Despite the above - I am not against Jetski's and we all understand that controlled environments are one arena that we all resist ... imagine on your sail or mobo - you are told that you can only use it in a prescribed area .. that freedom is restricted ? So I can understand Jetskiers playing in many locations.

My hope is that some semblance of conduct / responsibility can be gained by them. It only takes a stupid few to create the calls for restrictions ..

Sailing steve

Visit site
As a long-term member of the RYA I have had misgivings about their espousal of a recreation that appears to have nothing to do with yachting as I understand the term. Hoping that the association will educate the part of East London that expresses its manhood by storming around in these craft goes beyond wishful thinking.

Ahhh... You refer to the Romford Navy I believe.

There's been several successful prosecutions of jet ski users for speeding and rabidly anti social behaviour in Essex most notably in the Brightlingsea area and it's very encouraging that Essex police are taking action against this selfish nuisance.

The worst example of jsetski yobbery I've ever witnessed was in Mayland creek some years ago where people who'd launched from the Steeple Bay caravan park ramp were tearing up and down the creek way over the speed limit and intentionally and repeatedly harassing a pair of ducks swimming with young ducklings.

Quite why anybody with more than two functioning brain cells would find doing such a thing even remotely amusing is entirely beyond me

jwilson

Visit site
Yesterday in Falmouth a powered foiling surfboard was zipping around the channel. Maybe 20 knots in a 6 knot limit. It did look fun though, till I thought about him falling off or hitting a swimmer, and people do swim where he was. The foil is quite sharp, with a prop at the back .....

Refueler

Visit site
Yesterday in Falmouth a powered foiling surfboard was zipping around the channel. Maybe 20 knots in a 6 knot limit. It did look fun though, till I thought about him falling off or hitting a swimmer, and people do swim where he was. The foil is quite sharp, with a prop at the back .....

About 1/2 km downriver from my house - is a public swimming area. There are notices advising that the swimming area is marked by yellow buoys.

We as boaters are required to stay outside the swimmers area .....

Too often swimmers decide to swim across the river outside the prescribed area .. and it is so hard to see them ... when passing that area (in fact whole river can have swimmers - but this location is the main worry) you just catch glimpses of a small object literally breaking surface ... their head. It really is hard to understand why they swim across the river - the opposite side is dense reeds and lilly's .... no bank to land on, only action they can do once they reach there - is turn and swim back !

One day there is going to be an accident I fear.

johnalison

Visit site
About 1/2 km downriver from my house - is a public swimming area. There are notices advising that the swimming area is marked by yellow buoys.

We as boaters are required to stay outside the swimmers area .....

Too often swimmers decide to swim across the river outside the prescribed area .. and it is so hard to see them ... when passing that area (in fact whole river can have swimmers - but this location is the main worry) you just catch glimpses of a small object literally breaking surface ... their head. It really is hard to understand why they swim across the river - the opposite side is dense reeds and lilly's .... no bank to land on, only action they can do once they reach there - is turn and swim back !

One day there is going to be an accident I fear.
I’m no swimmer myself, though I can swim, just about, but I can imagine those who do swim answering by saying that they should be free to swim wherever they wish. Clearly, it would be foolhardy to swim across the Solent unaccompanied, let alone the Channel, but I think that there is an obligation on all of us to be prepared for anything unexpected, which would include the ambiguously-named wild swimmers.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Ahhh... You refer to the Romford Navy I believe.

There's been several successful prosecutions of jet ski users for speeding and rabidly anti social behaviour in Essex most notably in the Brightlingsea area and it's very encouraging that Essex police are taking action against this selfish nuisance.

The worst example of jsetski yobbery I've ever witnessed was in Mayland creek some years ago where people who'd launched from the Steeple Bay caravan park ramp were tearing up and down the creek way over the speed limit and intentionally and repeatedly harassing a pair of ducks swimming with young ducklings.

Quite why anybody with more than two functioning brain cells would find doing such a thing even remotely amusing is entirely beyond me
That’s the profile of user we have in the Medway.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
They do look impressive. First time I saw one was off Poole and wondered if it was a new secret mode of transport for the SBS.

I wonder when the RYA will assimilate them into the Borg?