RYA Certificates from 1991 - how to get these converted into a modern photo card

picardy

Visit site
Hi

I have an RYA Level 2 Powerboating certificate (old style paper stuck within a book) from 1991 as well as a VHF Radio licence from the same time. I'd like to have these upgraded to a modern potocard.

The RYA won't help me and say I have to contact an RYA centre to do this so does anyone know how I could achieve this ? I am happy to pay an admin fee and also for assessor's time for a brief assessment to demonstrate my competence. I also have a lot of experience from 1990 that I can evidence to support my experience including owning a 34ft yacht and numerous RIBS / motor boats.

Any ideas welcome ....Many thanks

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If the RYA can't be bothered then keep your current certificates. If anybody ever asks to see them you can demonstrate the length of time you have held them. If they have a problem with them point them to the RYA.

Misterbreeze

Visit site
I've just been through the VHF course again as my previous licence was from pre-DSC days and therefore only valid if you didn't have DSC on board. Only learnt that by chance. Mind you, some of the transmissions I hear are so devoid of proper procedure (including a singlehanded sinking boat that the coastguard had to prompt "so, are you calling a Mayday then?") that I doubt the radio operator has ever been anywhere near a certificate.

ylop

Visit site
Hi

I have an RYA Level 2 Powerboating certificate (old style paper stuck within a book) from 1991 as well as a VHF Radio licence from the same time. I'd like to have these upgraded to a modern potocard.

Why? Eg. Would joining the RYA and asking them to issue an ICC achieve the same objective?

The RYA won't help me and say I have to contact an RYA centre to do this so does anyone know how I could achieve this ?
the obvious solution appears to be to contact an RYA centre! The most obvious choice being to contact the one that issues the original certificates!

capnsensible

Visit site
If the RYA can't be bothered then keep your current certificates. If anybody ever asks to see them you can demonstrate the length of time you have held them. If they have a problem with them point them to the RYA.
The RYA have bothered and given the op advice. Records weren't kept by them at that time. So numbered certificates were introduced because of these type of problems.

My wife has forgotten how many times she was contacted when she ran our RTC. As well as updating old certificates, biggest problem was loss of card.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The RYA have bothered and given the op advice. Records weren't kept by them at that time. So numbered certificates were introduced because of these type of problems.

My wife has forgotten how many times she was contacted when she ran our RTC. As well as updating old certificates, biggest problem was loss of card.
Ha, there’s my problem. 1993, and the centre that issued them has not existed for 25 years. Back to the beginning is apparently the recommended solution.

capnsensible

Visit site
Ha, there’s my problem. 1993, and the centre that issued them has not existed for 25 years. Back to the beginning is apparently the recommended solution.
Only solution, I'm afraid. Almost all are genuine cases but the RYA clearly has to guard against the fraudsters claiming to have completed a course before record keeping began. Personally I think it would be hard to argue against that.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hi

The RYA won't help me and say I have to contact an RYA centre to do this so does anyone know how I could achieve this ? I am happy to pay an admin fee and also for assessor's time for a brief assessment to demonstrate my competence. I also have a lot of experience from 1990 that I can evidence to support my experience including owning a 34ft yacht and numerous RIBS / motor boats.

Any ideas welcome ....Many thanks
With all due respect, this post does amaze me a little. One assumes the Op is an adult & grown out of early teen shyness

Surely , if you did not know how to contact an RYA centre one would have asked the RYA representative on the other end of the line at the time. . A simple "OK, exactly how do I do that please? can you give me a contact please. I live in XYZ county"
( that being said I must admit my own dealings with the RYA have been somewhat disappointing)

Or have smart phone texts & watts app messages meant the art of verbal conversation has been long since lost?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Only solution, I'm afraid. Almost all are genuine cases but the RYA clearly has to guard against the fraudsters claiming to have completed a course before record keeping began. Personally I think it would be hard to argue against that.
I understand completely. Obviously, having no need of it I won’t be re doing a YM. But I need an ICC, and I guess a radio license, luckily my wife has a nice fresh one of those so we are covered.

Refueler

Visit site
I knew J* at RYA in Hamble ... and honest discussions with him sorted out various outstandings in good order. No mess .. no fuss ...

J* has since retired and new face at his desk ... but still same good order.

I may live in Latvia and rarely boat in UK - only if I sail on a friends boat when visiting ... but I keep my RYA membership. That automatically sorts the ICC of course ... with CEVNI ... and as a Certified Cox ... sail automatically incl. My Certs go back before OP's 1991 .... but with discussion - were accepted and alls well.

Hamble Office is as I found always ready to assist ... and I suggest well worth a call .... give all details and see what they can do.

Refueler

Visit site
Have I missed something? What's wrong with the paper cert, it's still valid.

I think part of the quest is because the Paper Certs he holds are before numbering ??

Dunno about you - but I would like to see Certs issued similar to the Credit Card sized Driving Licence .... and in plastic instead of the prone to disintegrate paper as in such as ICC etc.

To make mine last longer ... I scan - scale down 1/2 size - print and laminate a copy ... keeping original safe. I do have a credit card sized laminated version as well I made for my wallet just in case !

Pete7

Visit site
Have I missed something? What's wrong with the paper cert, it's still valid.
My thoughts too, having only been asked once in 4 decades to produce them before we chartered a yacht. The young person responsible for checking them keen as he was but equally shocked to see the RYA logbook was orange and had a G letter in the number on it from when the RYA adopted the Army's training system and therefore old log book numbers start with the letter G. G being the old designate for Army training books and files etc.

I would make good quality colour photo copies and keep them safe somewhere separate from the originals.

Pete

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I think part of the quest is because the Paper Certs he holds are before numbering ??

Dunno about you - but I would like to see Certs issued similar to the Credit Card sized Driving Licence .... and in plastic instead of the prone to disintegrate paper as in such as ICC etc.

To make mine last longer ... I scan - scale down 1/2 size - print and laminate a copy ... keeping original safe. I do have a credit card sized laminated version as well I made for my wallet just in case !
This is how I ‘lost’ mine. A 1997 cross channel trip, F6-7 on the nose, F27 trimaran. Laminators were unusual in those days, I had the papers in 2 plastic bags, but it was all pretty much mush on return to UK.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

I see the issue in slightly differently. Back in the day I did my DS as a spotty 18 year old, an orange log book if my memory serves me correctly. The sea school issued the certificate, BUT the information was never centrally recorded. My question would be why did the RYA not record the information of who had issued one of their certificates to whom?

While doing some family history research I dropped an email to a certain Scottish organisation, where men have funny handshakes and it is said roll their trouser leg up (I'm not a member), requesting information about my grandfather and was amazed at the detail I received back about him and my late father.

picardy

Visit site
Thanks all appreciate the comments - the centre that issued the certificate is no longer in business (I did of course start there). if anyone on here runs an RYA centre and thinks they can help me then do please PM me. Many thanks

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks all appreciate the comments - the centre that issued the certificate is no longer in business (I did of course start there). if anyone on here runs an RYA centre and thinks they can help me then do please PM me. Many thanks

Did you call RYA House in Hamble ?? They are THE ones to call ... I have always found them very helpful.

Refueler

Visit site
I see the issue in slightly differently. Back in the day I did my DS as a spotty 18 year old, an orange log book if my memory serves me correctly. The sea school issued the certificate, BUT the information was never centrally recorded. My question would be why did the RYA not record the information of who had issued one of their certificates to whom?

I did a real proper sea conditions survival course in a real Liferaft ...... outside Plymouth Sound literally just as spring was creeping round corner from winter .... bloody cold ... rough ...
We had to jump off college yacht TS Tectona .... into the water ... with BoT Lifejackets on ... swim to the raft ... board and huddle for over an hour ... the College Staff had forgotten to give us the pump - we could not inflate the floor to insulate ... we shouted at them to sort - but they ignored thinking we were just acting out ...
Myself and another when 'rescued' were starting to suffer signs of Hypothermia. Something that I shall never forget ...

Years later - I needed to prove my attendance of such course - change of Licence etc. I contacted Plymouth College - but was told that they only recorded the Class as attended and not the individual names. It created a real hassle for me and finally the Licencing authority backed down and issued the change.

Alicatt

Visit site
When we got our certificates from the centre in Largs they told us to photograph them, both for our own records and to be registered with the RYA, it was done on the RYA website and the pic had to pass what ever the standard was that the RYA had set on the web page.